Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• July 22, 2018, 01:57:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Star Wars the Old Republic  (Read 12145 times)

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: Star Wars the Old Republic
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »

I got the invite email too...  How do I get to play?  There are no links in the email and when I sign in at the main SWTOR site... still nothing.

The email I received was sent last week and did contain links to download the game client. I received the same email you are referring to yesterday.

I would really like to post some comments on the game, but the Game Testing Agreement doesn't allow a great deal of wiggle room. According to the terms, I can post that there is a test and I am a part of it.

So yes, there is a test. I have been a part of testing it well into the morning hours and, after a few hours sleep, got up to start testing again...

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:08 AM »

Good.... Glad you were able to get in.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »

So yes, there is a test. I have been a part of testing it well into the morning hours and, after a few hours sleep, got up to start testing again...

All I can take from that is it is a terrible game and you are playing it a lot just so you can be sure how terrible it is.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »

All I can take from that is it is a terrible game and you are playing it a lot just so you can be sure how terrible it is.

Haha, yeah sounds terrible.   :P
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »

So I got my invite for this weekend and I got an email that had me download the client.  I did that, but see nothing new on my desktop.... got another email that had a button to install the game and when I double click that it opens up a browser window that has the afforementioned download client button. 

WTF?!?  Now, in fairness, I was doing this in a hurry b/c I got the email first thing this morning and was in a hurry to get ready for work.  But it seemed pretty straight forward.  Am I missing something?

-Thomas Jefferson

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »

So I got my invite for this weekend and I got an email that had me download the client.  I did that, but see nothing new on my desktop.... got another email that had a button to install the game and when I double click that it opens up a browser window that has the afforementioned download client button. 

WTF?!?  Now, in fairness, I was doing this in a hurry b/c I got the email first thing this morning and was in a hurry to get ready for work.  But it seemed pretty straight forward.  Am I missing something?

Use the Force, Luke.

(I'm sorry. That was too easy.)
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »

Hahaha... damn, and I was planning on rolling a Trooper.   :P

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »

Now that I used the force (and had more time) I figured it out and I'm currently downloading the game!  Woot!   :D

http://www.ign.com/wikis/star-wars-the-old-republic

Tony, now that the NDA has been lifted, would you care to give your impressions? 

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »

Yes, I just read that!

I really just scratched the surface of the game, playing a few characters in their starting worlds.

It plays like a mash up of WoW (I am not sure it is possible to talk about any MMORPG without WoW comparison) and Mass Effect. Which I thought was a good thing. ALL of the interactions with quest NPCs on every home world were cinematic, which was really sweet. At times, you get light and dark side choices, but I didn't see how those choices affected my character. I don't think I got far enough into it to realize its impact.  I'm not sure side quests and other missions will be cinematic, but I hope so.

The voice acting was decent, I just wish you could pick your characters voice. Character customization has a nice selection, but does not go over the top like Skyrim. You can choose, scars, tattoos, height, hair, etc., but you don't get the feeling you need to spend hours doing it.

As far as graphics, I was happy my PC was able to run the game. I was on high settings and experienced limited visual hiccups. Whether those were crappy PC related or beta related, I do not know. I am a console gamer, so I am not the best judge in this regard. The textures were smooth, but not really detailed. I do like the visual style of the game.

Combat was a blast. Very smooth and the combat animations rock. Nothing better than your toon holding his light saber behind his back to deflect blaster shots while running away! Too cool.

At first I was disappointed after the first few quests, OK all the quests: It was very linear. I was really worried the whole game would be like this. There was little to do but follow the main story quest line. But once I made it off the home world, it looked like things were going to bust open. Once you get off your planet (about level 10, probably two hours or so), you get to choose your specialization and pick crafting specialties.

It was evident early on that group play was necessary to play. This may be a turn off for lone wolf players, but I had to group up to get through a couple of the quests at about level 8.

That is as far as I got. I made it off the home world with my Sith Inquisitor and chose to become an assassin so I would get a bitchin' double bladed light saber! Looking at the map on the ship, it looked like their were tons of quest NPCs and many vocations to check out. I think you could do two at a time.

I liked what I saw and am looking forward to playing again this weekend for a bit. I'm not sure how MMORPG and Star Wars fans are going to get by without giving this a shot for a couple of months. There is talk of "WoW Killer" on chat in game, but I think that is childish fanboy crap.

As a side note, the bounty hunter class was a lot of fun, too. My son, surprisingly, enjoyed this class more than Sith or Jedi!

I'll definitely be picking it up via digital download when it releases!

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »

Nice... Thanks for the feedback.  Are you planning on playing on the Empire side at launch?

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »

I don't know. I haven't decided. We should definitely post characters and servers during the test for possible groupings! I usually pick the first PVE server in the list!

Glockdeucedeuce

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »

As Mike did, i also downloaded the beta client last night for SWTOR.  I am going Jedi guardian for my first toon.  Tanking and DPS are my forte.
Go Go hawt sauce!

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »

We're in a guild called ORD2 that will be a Republic guild.  It's a large guild that was originally ORD (Old Republic Dads), but they had to create a second guild since SWTOR only allows 500 people per guild.  They sounded like minded so Oscar, myself, and Jon joined up.  

I'm torn on what to roll.  The Trooper fits my play style, but the Smuggler definitely fits my personality.  I just don't want it to turn into a WoW Rogue like class b/c I didn't care for that.

With that being said, I don't want to roll my main during beta because I don't want to replay a bunch of stuff at launch.  The only Force sensitive class that really has me interested is the Sith Inquisitor so I may try that out during beta.  I do want to try out some of the grouping, so if it means jumping on the first PVE Republic server during beta, I'm good with that too.

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »

I will say that logging in was not really a problem. I got booted once or twice and at one time logged in and was 768 in queue. It took about 30-45 minutes to get through that. Other than that, the server was stable.

I'd like to try a new class this weekend. I am not one to redo a bunch of quests, either. But I am torn because I want to try some non-starter world quests, but time will be limited due to the holiday. I may do a Sith again to complete quests and advance faster...

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »

The more I play it the more I like it :)

You actually earn credits for grouping and can spend those credits at special vendors.

The quests are engaging and interesting. The main story line is really compelling also. There are many gathering and crafting skills to choose from and it will be interesting to see how those help your character in the long term.

Once you get off your planet (about level 10, probably two hours or so), you get to choose your specialization and pick crafting specialties.

I think I was wrong here. I think it is longer. Probably closer to 4-6 hours if you do all the quests. Time passes quickly while you play!

I also forgot to mention companions. I think every class gets a companion character who travels and fights with them. They heal and attack and you can customize them with armor and weapons (I am not sure if these options are available for all companions though).

I'm all in for it. I have it preordered and got a cool black light saber with a yellow glow. I am sure the novelty of that will wear off quickly...

I am curious to what you other guys who got in this weekend think!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4