Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:10:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Star Wars the Old Republic  (Read 12907 times)

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars the Old Republic
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »

Gotta catch some sleep right now since I've gotten very little due to this game.  I'm loving it and it reeaaallly starts getting good after lvl 10 when you get your companion and do some flashpoints.  I'll post more when I'm not so tired, but I agree, it's a lot of fun.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »

Ok so my first impressions were that the game was a little too easy and felt too much like a single player game, but both of those things changed as I played more.  The first 10 levels were straight easy mode and there weren't a whole bunch of reasons to group up save a couple of missions.  However, once you get to lvl 10 and get your companion, your advanced class, and get off the starter world the game really gets good and the difficulty level ramps up.

I ran a flashpoint called the Black Talon for the Empire and thought it was awesome.  It was a 4 person instance that had lots of action and group dialouge.  The group dialouge is a ton of fun because you never know how someone in your group will answer.

I just started crafting and didn't put a ton of time into it, but it seems pretty cool that your companions do that stuff for you.... you're a hero after all... you don't basket weave!

The combat felt really good and the feeling of throwing blaster bolts at someone didn't get old.  For a beta, it's the most polished game I've seen.  Way ahead of WoW's launch even.  

Gotta run to lunch... will try to post more later.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »

Star Wars... now with holiday snacks.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/11/edible-gingerbr.php

-Thomas Jefferson

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »

I got the email today that I made it into early access, and it was a long day at work.  I also found a new high chair waiting on the front porch, with my wife anxious for me to assemble.  I did not have a chance to play the beta, and so far I have only had about an hour to play the game.  I created Skarlin, a Jedi Consular on the Vrook Lamar server, which is the one my LOTRO guild selected.  I like what I have seen so far, and the game launch appears to be going great.  We also got some good pics of the baby's first time eating cereal tonight in his new chair.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »

I'm in early access and damn, they need more servers. There is nearly always a wait to join. There should NOT be a wait to join...ever.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »

I'm in early access and damn, they need more servers. There is nearly always a wait to join. There should NOT be a wait to join...ever.

They've been adding a ton of servers almost every other day.  On 12/20 I read that they lowered the server caps on existing servers to try to encourage new players to join less crowded servers and that they would raise the cap after a little while.  I've been lucky and have only seen a 25 minute wait as my longest.  My server was one of the originals though. 

WoW launch was horrible in comparison.  This has been one of the smoothest MMO launches I've experienced.  Server stability is awesome.  If you have a wait and get logged in and then have to go AFK for a bit, just find a safe corner to auto run in so you won't get logged out.

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »

More on this topic...

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19815-a-warning-regarding-launch-server-queues

Manager Stephen Reidís post on the official forum, he recommends players avoiding a certain list of servers unless they are prepared and willing to wait long queue times.  

Reid also noted that BioWare is in the process of employing population caps to dissuade people away from creating characters on those servers but will ease up on the cap over time.

Population caps are being gradually raised on these servers, but raising them too fast will create an influx of new players and perpetuate the problem. We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future.

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »

Fucking bullshit.

You buy the game which includes a month of play, but can't play it until you sign up for a subscription.

Bullshit. Horseshit. All four-legged shit.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »

So it won't even let you use what you have already fucking paid for.

In case you were wondering.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »

So if you go to the store right now and pay $60 for it, you MUST buy a prepaid card or a subscription online to play. THEN you get your 30 days which comes with the game.

Keep in mind that every day after you install the game after purchase, but cannot use unless you subscribe, is consumed, even though you can't play it.

Wow.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 07:51:05 PM »

How long/much are subscriptions? Why even offer a month free if it doesn't start until after you pay? And, I'm assuming you can't subscribe-then-cancel and play for the rest of the month.

More MMO's should go the free-to-play route from the beginning, rather than waiting until there's no interest in them anymore.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »

Free to play mmos suck.  I'm more addicted to this game than any other I've played.  There's my in depth review....  Pain in the ass to add much more from my cell phone. :P

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »

I am still really loving this game.  I got a little bored with my Trooper and just kept playing him to get my legacy unlocked.  In fact, I really find the Imperial stories much more interesting.  I like my smuggler, but don't play him that much, maybe once a week.  That's because Jon and I usually try to create one toon that we only play when we're both on.  We're at lvl 19 right now.

I've tried all of the classes and got 6 of 8 past lvl 10, but I think the Bounty Hunter is my favorite.  Sith Inquisitor is up there, but ultimately I like the heavy armor afforded to me by the BH and the story is more interesting to me than the Trooper.

I usually don't like PVP, mostly because I'm not hardcore and thus suck at it, but I actually like it in this game.  I still suck at it, but am able to contribute enough to have fun and still come away with some commendations that I can use towards some kick ass armor.

There are no more server queues and I've tweaked some things to improve performance and the game runs pretty damn well for me. 

So, now that it's been almost a month, what are your impressions?

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »

I Like it. It does some things so right (transparent map while traveling) and other things so wrong that you wonder if your missing something (items in bank don't auto stack). Really? How hard is that to accomplish?

The story quests are excellent.

DPS classes are virtually worthless in PVP. If you aren't a tank or healer you just hang out, get killed, and respawn for XP. I'm not a good judge though, because I suck at PVP. I suck hard. I always have, even in WoW. It seems really unbalanced to me, but I DO suck.

Running and jumping and trying to kill other players with a mouse just seems foreign. I have difficulty with PC platforming...there are items you can collect (datacrons or holocrons or some shit) which require much more PC platforming ability than even most PC gaming aficionados can muster. I ignore them.

I have a level 32 Smuggler and I have just now started toying with key binding.

My son plays a lot. he likes it. I am trying to break him from keyboard turning and getting used to keybinds (as fathers we want out sons to be better). He has adapted to binding much easier than me.

I like it more than WoW. Probably not because it is better than WoW, but I feel like I belong there more than WoW. Not just because it is based in the SW universe, but I was there from the beginning for this.

It is a solid, story driven game.

I'm still pissed about the subscription shit, but the game is worth it.

SWTOR tells stories much better than WoW. If you have a bunch of level 80s on WoW and just raid for epic gear, I'd suggest diverting funds to SWTOR and giving it a whirl. It is enough of the same to let you jump in, but different enough to let you feel like a kid again.

I'm all in.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »

If anyone is interested in giving SWTOR a shot, PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite for a free trial. They will let you play up to level 5 to get a taste of what the game has to offer!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4