- 3 (42.9%)
$175
- 0 (0%)
$200+
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 13, 2010, 09:26:52 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')  (Read 11876 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:26:52 PM »

Seems like it can't be more than $100 if they want to sell lots.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
Re: What will Natal cost?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »

I'm expecting 199 with some sort of game pack-in. 

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »

I said $150. I don't think it will be a success or have much impact until it's integrated into the next console. Was the camera successful? It barely had any interaction with games or the dashboard at all (too bad you couldn't use the camera to create a more "realistic" avatar). I recently came across one, packed in with a game even, and couldn't think of a reason it would be worth the $20 cost. How are games going to integrate Natal without alienating the majority userbase that won't have it?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »

I'm not terribly excited for Natal, but I'm guessing $100 with a game.  If Hulu comes out for 360, I might pick up the inevitable 'Slim' model with Natal bundled.  Yes, my particular revision of the 360 is still loud despite the 65nm Jasper chipset.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »

I said $150. I don't think it will be a success or have much impact until it's integrated into the next console. Was the camera successful? It barely had any interaction with games or the dashboard at all (too bad you couldn't use the camera to create a more "realistic" avatar). I recently came across one, packed in with a game even, and couldn't think of a reason it would be worth the $20 cost. How are games going to integrate Natal without alienating the majority userbase that won't have it?
Unlike the LIVE camera I don;t expect that there will be any game that casually or partially supports Natal. 

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:50:13 PM »

I find most games for the Wii to feel gimmicky. I can't imagine Natal, whatever the price, would feel less so.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/kinect-official-150-new-360-hardware-coming-august-3.ars

Microsoft has finally made it official: the Kinect hardware will retail for $150 when it's released on November 4, and will come with a copy of Kinect Adventures included. That's not the only news today, however, as Redmond revealed a new version of the Xbox 360 that will hit stores on August 3 for $200.

The new Xbox 360 will feature 4GB of flash storage, and will follow the recently released Slim's styling, albeit with a matte finish. With the ability to store and save games on USB sticks, this is perhaps the most able entry-level 360 ever released, and the $200 price point is certainly attractive. Just like its big brother, it has WiFi via the 802.11N standard.

Here's the bundle
Just in case that wasn't enough to get new gamers on board, later this year a bundle consisting of the new 4GB 360 hardware, the Kinect hardware, and a copy of Kinect Adventures will be available for $300. Just to make sure the announcement gives the company some sales momentum, if you preorder any of these bundles today and you'll receive "a token to download three exclusive game levels for Kinect Adventures, the game included with Kinect," at launch.

Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Joy Ride will retail for $49.99 when they're launched alongside the hardware, so at least the first-party games should be slightly cheaper than standard Xbox 360 games. Will third parties follow this pricing structure? We hope so.

While the $300 bundle is a great deal for gamers who haven't already invested in the 360 platform, the Kinect's $150 price tag may be a hard sell for those of us who already own a 360. What Microsoft has done with these bundles and new hardware is to give casual gamers a very attractive way to buy in, while hoping the enthusiasm of existing customers will get them to cough up the $150 for the motion controller.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »

I'd prefer a matte finish, but a 4GB flash? WTF is that?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »

Bumping the internal flash to 4GB makes sense IMO since Arcade games are so much larger these days.  I mean, I'd never settle for less than a hard drive, of course.  But 4GB is a comfortable amount of space to get a new buyer through the holidays without feeling that they HAVE to get more storage immediately.

Didn't the original core have no storage?  What did they charge for those 64MB cards?  :)

I think $150 for Natal is high, but I'm not the target market.  I also think it's time to get the core system down to $149, as when they are on sale for that price the Arcade systems sell like gangbusters.  I think a $149 core and $249 bundle with Natal would be better received, but we'll have to see.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Let's make this our Kinect thread! Please don't blame Pieter for the new thread title, it's all my fault.

MS advises against "clutter" for Kinect

Microsoft has warned that messy floors "with clothes all over the place" will prevent Kinect from working properly. Better have a quick tidy.

The company also advised against putting the sensor in "a noisy environment", using the examples "on top of your Xbox" and "on top of your subwoofer".

"We rely on the floor for a number of different parts of the technology," said Mark Plagge, Kinect's senior project manager, during a set-up video.

"You'll see when the sensor first boots up that it actually does this tilt down, and what it's doing is it's looking for the floor plane. Titles use the floor plane as a point of reference for the skeletons as they're moving throughout the title.

"The floor plane becomes very important, so if you have a very cluttered floor with clothes all over the place and we can't get a good look at the floor - it's a great thing if people can clean that up and move things out of the way."

The Kinect sensor should be placed in the horizontal middle of your telly at either the top or bottom. Exactly where will likely be bossed by the location of your telly's speakers, as having the sensor too close will mean audio interference.

"The other thing is that you want to put as much distance between you and the sensor as possible, so [placing the sensor] higher up actually tends to put an extra foot between you and the sensor," explained Tian Lim, director of Kinect development.

"The ideal play space starts about six feet away from the Kinect sensor. Some games will need you to move side to side quite a lot, so you'll want to know there are three-to-four feet on either side of you."

The requirements don't stop there. People with halogen spotlit rooms may encounter difficulties, as the Kinect sensor prefers an even light source throughout.

"To have really bright lighting in one spot and really dark lighting in another spot: as you move between the two you might actually look a bit different to the sensor, [and it will be] a little bit harder for us to keep track of you throughout the play space," said Kareem Choudhry, principal development manager on Kinect.

Don't panic if you can't remember that, as you'll be walked through each of the elements by on-screen Kinect setup tools.

The Kinect sensor launches on 10th November in the UK. Alone, it costs 130.

So, at least 6 feet away from the camera, no mess on the floor, no coffee table or other obstruction between you and the camera, a bright, evenly-lit room, stand to play, quiet, don't put the Kinect on top of the 360 or near speakers...

I think Chloe would love Kinectimals and the dancing game, but Kinect just seems like it's being released too early. Still, when has that ever gone wrong for Microsoft?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

Wow, Microsoft, way to create such narrow requirements for your device that you lock out a significant portion of your audience.  It would literally require us to buy a new house in order to use Kinect.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »

Not ready for prime time?

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

I realize I'm in the minority here most likely but mine is pre-ordered through Amazon.

If nothing else I'll be able to tell you guys if it sucks or not. :)

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »

I realize I'm in the minority here most likely but mine is pre-ordered through Amazon.

If nothing else I'll be able to tell you guys if it sucks or not. :)

Mine was paid for in full as well, but MS was kind enough to give me one for free (I'll have it in November).  From what I've played of the launch titles (Dance Central, Kinectimals, Joy Ride, Kinect Sports & Kinect Adventures), it worked great - but more importantly was fun.

So we are the minority, but at least one of us has actually played with Kinect, and enjoyed it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4