- 3 (42.9%)
$175
- 0 (0%)
$200+
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 13, 2010, 09:26:52 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')  (Read 11887 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »

Wow, Microsoft, way to create such narrow requirements for your device that you lock out a significant portion of your audience.  It would literally require us to buy a new house in order to use Kinect.

Your floor is so messy you'd rather just buy a new house?   :P
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »

We have a six year old.  OF COURSE it's that messy.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »

The serious answer:

There's no way this would work with our current setup. The size of the room isn't a problem, nor are obstructions. The problems are 1) the distance from the 360 to where the Kinect sensor would have to be located is ~30 ft. 2) Because it's hooked up to a front projector, standing in front of it while moving around would be a real problem, as would keeping the room bright. 3) It would be right above the centre speaker.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

I realize I'm in the minority here most likely but mine is pre-ordered through Amazon.

If nothing else I'll be able to tell you guys if it sucks or not. :)

Mine was paid for in full as well, but MS was kind enough to give me one for free (I'll have it in November).  From what I've played of the launch titles (Dance Central, Kinectimals, Joy Ride, Kinect Sports & Kinect Adventures), it worked great - but more importantly was fun.

So we are the minority, but at least one of us has actually played with Kinect, and enjoyed it.

Nice.  Do you work for Microsoft?  I'm glad to hear you've actually used it and like it though.  Dance Central is the game I'm most looking forward to (and also have pre-ordered).

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »

All this could turn out to be FUD. I'm sure when Chris played it wasn't alone in a sterile quiet room. The Kinects at Macy's are just there in the aisle. Still, I'm not encouraged by Microsoft cutting down the specs (and perhaps the demonstration units are these more-capable versions?), and all the caveats and recommendations worry me that it's destined to be another cool-but-mostly-useless peripheral.

I know Geese and Sparkz played Eye of Judgment, do you guys use the camera anymore or for anything else? What was the last 360 game that touted camera support? Giving me the finger in Burnout or Uno was fun for all, but hardly the pinnacle of what the technology should have been.

I don't know how the Kinect calibrates itself. Does it require the user to provide data (like "fill" and mimic an avatar at the start, similar to putting the Wiimote down or manipulating the Move to follow positions on the screen), or does it simply scan the room and extrapolate?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »

I know Geese and Sparkz played Eye of Judgment, do you guys use the camera anymore or for anything else? What was the last 360 game that touted camera support? Giving me the finger in Burnout or Uno was fun for all, but hardly the pinnacle of what the technology should have been.

The only things I have ever used the PS-Eye for are Eye of Judgment and a few stickers in Little Big Planet. But I don't even have it plugged in now - same for LIVE Vision - not even plugged in, and I own two of them.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »

Even if it turns out to be a complete failure, it will still cost me less than the paperweight otherwise known as my Wii.  Hehe.

I'm generally an optimist so I'm quite hopeful.  I don't expect Kinect to completely replace my 360 experience, but if it can add to it with some different and interesting games, plus act as a fun way to workout (Dance, Fitness Games, etc.) then I'll be satisfied.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »

I don't work for Microsoft, just a game retailer everyone loves to hate. LOL

As far as Kinect calibrations go, only once did I have to have it calibrate (more like a quick scan) because they were using generic profiles, and it didn't recognize me when I started to play. It uses some sort of biometrics to determine which user is signed in and playing.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »

I don't know how the Kinect calibrates itself. Does it require the user to provide data (like "fill" and mimic an avatar at the start, similar to putting the Wiimote down or manipulating the Move to follow positions on the screen), or does it simply scan the room and extrapolate?

"Greetings adamsappel! We will now begin calibration...

Scanning...

Scanning...

Scanning complete.

Please note for future calibrations it is not necessary to completely disrobe."

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »

Hahahahahaha!!!!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »

ALOL

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »

You laugh, but that is his usual gaming attire.  Just add liquor.

And now you know why I didn't buy the Live Vision Camera.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »

I got to try out Kinect quickly on lunch yesterday and Microsoft has rented out a store front on Yonge Street in Toronto with demos set up.  I played Joy Ride.  The game was fun and the "controls" seemed to work really well too.  I even got first in my race. 

The only thing I found was navigating the menus didn't respond to my hand movements the way I would have liked.  It didn't seem too smooth to me. 

If I had $150.00 to throw away, I would buy it but I just can't justify the price right now, plus I think I'm probably too close to the TV in my current living room set up.

jwClark96

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »

This looks fun but too much $$$ for me.  Only way I'd buy is at price drop and if I get a bigger place.  I am worried that it might go the way of my Wii and just collect dust. 

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Last night Chloe asked me if we had Move for the PS3, because she saw a commercial for EyePet. Lord help me if she sees Kinectimals.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4