- 3 (42.9%)
$175
- 0 (0%)
$200+
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 13, 2010, 09:26:52 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')  (Read 11878 times)

ChromaTick

• View Profile
Re: Kinect me! or, Move Over, Sony! ... (I got nothin')
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »

Ok, surprise surprise my Kinect was waiting on the porch when I got home today.  It arrived two days early!

My initial reactions:

SUPER easy to set up and configure.
SUPER long cords which was something I was worried about due to my setup.  I had cord length left over!

Voice commands work well.  I still haven't got tired of telling my xbox what to do and having it respond. lol

Kinect Adventures really shows off the tech.  Should be a fun party game.  I've got a bunch of family including some younger kids coming over this weekend.  Looking forward to their reactions.

Dance Central is slick.  My wife and I have been boogeying all night.

Which brings me to my last initial impression.  I've pretty much been playing with this for the last several hours and I'm loving it.

I think the future is bright for the Kinect tech and I'm looking forward to seeing what developers do with it, especially if they start incorporating it into the hardcore games with the use of a controller.

More impressions throughout the weekend as I spend more time with it.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »

Spent the last 5 hours demoing Kinect for customers at one of our stores today.

So. Much. Fun.

Like it was mentioned before, it was super easy to setup. It didnt take longer than 5 minutes to plug it in and run calibration. Then we ran it for 5 hours non stop.

We gave folks a chance to test out Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures and Dance Central. The kids (and adults) loved Kinect Sports (Track & Field rules!) and Kinect Adventures. But damn they all went crazy for Dance Central. And when I didn't have volunteers for that I danced by myself. I did Poker Face and Evacuate the Dance Floor (on easy).

Sold quite a few units too after people came out and tried it.

All in all, a good day. I'm tired though. :P

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »

Got one for the family for Christmas.

It is unnerving? Strange? Yet fun? My wife said she feels like it is watching us even when it is not on. Like I needed that put in my head.

Just tried Kinect Sports. It was fun. I can't decide if it was fun because it is a new experience or if it is inherent, but I do like it so far.

A breeze to set up with the Slim (as previously mentioned), but it wouldn't much more of a pain with the regular version. I'm looking forward to trying it out some more, since we didn't have much time today: Both my kids woke up at about 5am throwing up. This is after my wife and I stayed up until about 2:30am wrapping gifts. My son stopped about 11am and my daughter continued through the early evening. Needless to say all Christmas plans were canceled and we didn't leave the house.

Stopping for puke breaks while opening presents kinda takes the fun out of it. LOL.

Hope you all had a great Christmas with family and friends!

Oh, My family bought me a X11 headset, too!! Schwing!

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »

Still loving my Kinect nearly two months later.

I got Kinect Sports for Christmas and it's worth owning just for bowling and table tennis alone.  The volleyball is fun too though!

My brother's family got a Move for Christmas so I was able to directly compare them.  In fact, Sports Champions also has Table Tennis and Volleyball.  I have to say in both cases the Kinect was a superior experience.  Having to constantly calibrate the Move was a pain too.

That being said, they had a shooting game for the Move called The Shoot which was an absolute blast.  Almost made me want to go out and get one.  The move is definitely much more accurate than the Wii too.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »

I got my Christmas Kinect set up this weekend and am having a blast. I've only tried Your Shape Fitness Evolved and Dance Central. YSFE is a great full-body workout. Please note, I do very little physical activity, so a great workout for me is not necessarily a ringing endorsement. I can tell you it is far and away better than Wii Fit Plus. I haven't done a whole lot in Dance Central, but so far it's good fun. The Break It Down mode will be very helpful for learning the moves. The game makes me feel like I'm actually learning a little bit about how to move on the dance floor, but Jessy commented that the moves, "Were a little girly," at points. What I can say for sure is that it's much more fun than DDR for me because the moves make sense.

My family room is still a little small for the Kinect. I barely fit into the ideal zone, and there's no way I could get two people in there. But we're hoping to move soon, so I'll be sure we get a place that has a Kinect-friendly room. Gotta go with what's important, don't ya know.

My other worry is that this will go the way of the Wii in a few months. I wasn't this excited about the Wii when we bought it, but I didn't think I'd lose interest as quickly as I did. I don't see anything on the Kinect horizon that makes me excited, so here's hoping what I've got keeps me interested until the next must have game.

JTello

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 07:55:19 AM »

You can just kick me in the balls right now, because despite my (pre-release) mocking of MS for the imminent failure of Kinect, I am now the proud own of said joke. And it doe,..doe,..doe,.. doesn't suck.

I followed a popular path to Kinect ownership,... my wife wanted it.

She thought it would help get her in shape and all.
"Pffft" said I, It's just a silly video game peripheral bound to gather dust and become the butt of geek jokes for years to come.

Well, amazingly, for the most part it doesn't suck. We are having fun with it, and most impressively, we are getting a rather decent amount of exercise and cardio out of it.  We'll see how it holds up over time, but the future seems a lot more bright than I once speculated.  With so many Kinects sold, I hope they start coming out some more quality titles soon, and I hope they start exploring the wild possibilities this piece of tech can offer when developers get really creative.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

Picked up a 250gb elite with Kinect yesterday.  My wife demoed the Kinect in Best Buy and decided she had to have one.  As a plus, she now has a way to stream Netflix to the living room tv so we can scrap the movie channels from our cable line up.  Dance Paradise is the game she wanted so we got that as well...  I think it kind of sucks.  Not because it's a dancing game, but it deosn't seem to map your movement well and often makes your avatar stop dancing when you haven't changes positions or anything.  We had plenty of space and  lighting and calibrated everything.  We tried Kinect Adventures to see if it was game specific and it seems to be as KA worked great and was much more responsive.  I know the lineup is limited, but anyone have any Kinect favorites?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 01:08:54 PM »

You need to take Dance Paradise back and get Dance Central.  Best game on the Kinect.  The other must have game at this point I would say is Kinect Sports.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Thanks for the feedback.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]