Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 25, 2019, 07:45:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PSN security compromised  (Read 9585 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
PSN security compromised
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »

Epic fail.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

We're talking passwords, birthdays, security words, and possibly credit card info.

Glockdeucedeuce

• View Profile
Re: PSN security compromised
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »

Fuck....   This sucks.
Go Go hawt sauce!

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »

I was thinking, I haven't bought any content off PSN in a couple of years. In that time, I've moved and possibly switched credit cards. I'm hoping it's a lot of outdated information on there. I'll have to check as soon as it comes back online.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »

I have no idea what credit card I'm using on PSN. Also, Jeff, Matt and I share a Wallet, which I'm sure adds some complications.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:13 AM »

Damn. This is not good for Sony.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:58 AM »

Same here Allen, I'm pretty sure the credit card I used has a new exp. date and code by now, but I can't for the life of me remember which one I used.  Is there any way to figure that out without signing in to PSN?

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »

I suppose you could search your bank records for the last PSN charge, but I think it's been literally years. If I used a debit card, my bank has since changed hands and that card wouldn't access anything.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

I bought something less than a month ago.

Canceled my card. :(
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure I used my Amex.  I think.  Like many of you, I don't know when I last bought anything on PSN.

I'm done with PSN forever.  I'd rather keep my hacked system that can play emulators and media players, but you can't take it online anyway.  There's already more for 360 and PC than I have time to play.  Uncharted 3 will be awesome, I'm sure, but I suspect somebody will eventually come up with a way to play it on a custom firmware PS3.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »

I'm done with PSN forever.

This is easy, because you don't use it at all. My boycott of Jack in the Box is going swimmingly, because they have no locations on the east coast! But, say this happens to Microsoft, what is your stance then? Do you not use Monoprice since the same thing recently happened to them, and people actually had fraudulent charges made? We don't know how this happened to Sony, if it was an error on their security or they were just a ripe target and the same thing could have been perpetrated on Microsoft or Amazon or other online retailer (and might still be). There's no defense for their public relations handling of the situation, but we don't yet know how unique this situation is.

Note, I'm not sure the security failure even figures into it for you. You want your PS3 to have custom firmware, which is easiest to maintain by keeping it offline.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »

[We don't know how this happened to Sony, if it was an error on their security or they were just a ripe target and the same thing could have been perpetrated on Microsoft or Amazon or other online retailer (and might still be). There's no defense for their public relations handling of the situation, but we don't yet know how unique this situation is.

Would a moderator please ban this fanboy?  ;)

BTW - I recently bought something from Monoprice. Had no idea there were credit issues there. Swell.

Oh, and don't come to Charlotte, NC. We have Jack in the Box here. It would be too much of a temptation for you.

Joking aside - I think I will be a little more cautious with PSNetwork. Probably just start doing points cards instead of using my CC.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »

I spent most of yesterday going through all my sites and changing my passwords.  I have no idea if I ever had a CC on file with the PS3 as I've never purchased anything there.  However, as I only have one CC I'll be monitoring it closely.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »

I was not implying that the security failure was the primary reason I'm "done" with PSN.  It's mostly about keeping my system hacked.

If the same thing happened to Live I'd probably never keep a credit card on file with them again.  I'd stick with the membership cards and points cards bought in stores, though that's what I use 90% of the time anyway. 

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »

(I'm not really boycotting Jack, I was just grasping for something I could easily avoid through no action on my part.)

Monoprice was in pretty much the same situation as Sony. Their customer info was stolen and fraudulent charges soon appeared (though I don't think that's actually happened with Sony yet, just dire warnings that it's possible). I think it was FatWallet or SlickDeals who alerted everyone (again, the Internet community was the initial source, not the company itself). I didn't have any problems, and I think they're fine to use now.

I'm not particularly defending Sony. I've just been seeing this pattern. "iPhone has a terrible antenna!" Turns out every cell phone pretty much has the same issue. "iPhone records your location!" Every cell phone does this. "Google's van detects your wi-fi signal!" No shit, you're broadcasting it. I'm sure Sony's security going forward will be much stronger, and no doubt Microsoft and Nintendo, and most retailers, too, will strengthen their networks. That they don't get compromised doesn't mean they couldn't have been. This is a great moment to move away from storing credit card info with online retailers. Using points cards or point-of-sale credit card gift cards instead. I hope Microsoft changes its policy of requiring a credit card on file. If I want my subscription to simply expire, that should be my choice.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

Well, I am just looking forward to throwing this into my local GameStop's, Super PS3 Fanboy Guy's face next time I go in.

He will, I guarantee you, have a way to blame it on the 360.

Pages: [1] 2 3