Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 21, 2019, 05:14:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wii U thread  (Read 11650 times)

Glockdeucedeuce

• View Profile
Wii U thread
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »

Seeming some of the stuff posted for the Wii U.  Initial thought are... Huh?

Other folks thoughts please. 
Go Go hawt sauce!

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Wii U thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »

My initial thoughts were "Oh, they're trying that thing they did with the GBA and Gamecube again...".  I suppose it has potential, but the demo of Parappa the Pirate didn't really make me want one.

The device itself looks cool - but I just wonder how much it will cost...and will they ultimately make games that require more than one?
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »

I think it's pretty cool. That's an impressive line-up of third-party games announced, and they're not held back with technology so much this time. Ports and simultaneous releases will be possible, plus I'm sure there will be controller options that I can't begin to think of. Backwards-compatibility is always appreciated. I like the option to play the game on the controller screen. I wonder how much precision the flat joysticks can have.

In the end, it's Nintendo, and I'm sure it will be fun.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:24:22 AM »

I also want to know how much it will cost to play a game with my kids.  Do we need three or four of those to play the new Mario Party game?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »

I personally think the screen should be multitouch and capacitive like an iPad.  Needing to use a stylus for accurate control on a large screen feels a bit limiting to me.

I'm not sure what to think of the overall system yet.  I won't bet against Nintendo, but it seems kind of like interface overload.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »

I think it looks pretty cool. I'm confused about it, though. Is it a controller for the Wii, a competitor, or a new Wii console/controller?

I really wish Nintendo would focus on games rather than control mechanisms for games.

Glockdeucedeuce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:32:48 AM »

I really wish Nintendo would focus on games rather than control mechanisms for games.

Nintendo is.  They keep giving us Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. 
Go Go hawt sauce!

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »

Looks cool, but also really expensive with that controller. I'll probably wait for a bit before I think about picking it up.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »

Nintendo is.  They keep giving us Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. 

Yeah, there are those. But they'd all play better on a Wavebird and look better in HD.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »

I can't believe they are using a resistive, single-touch screen.  It's basically a big DS screen.  It's going to suck compared to an iPad.

If the 'sliding disc' dual thumbsticks are like the one on the 3DS, they should be absolutely fine for first person shooters.

Stuff like Mario Kart is going to control with 4 Wiimotes.  And it's backwards compatible with existing Wiimotes (maybe will require MotionPlus?).  The BC for hardware is a good thing, I suppose.

Such a weird system.  They threw in everything but the kitchen sink.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »

I went to Target last night at nearly 8 PM and picked up a Deluxe WiiU. No pre-order or anything, they just had them in stock. I didn't open it because I wasn't SURE, SURE I wanted the system. My big interest is the Off-TV play, where you can play entire games on the GamePad instead of the TV. Basically "Remote Play" for the WiiU. Because Sony's support of that feature has been so miserable I didn't expect Nintendo to have done a better job, but lo and behold, most games do support the feature! Here's a list of games that do support it. So when I finally get home tonight I'm planning on opening the WiiU up and trying some games. Even with subpar resolution, I'm very excited to try games like NSMBU, Madden, Mass Effect 3, AC3, and maybe even BlOps2 on my GamePad... playing while my wife watches TV. It's the dream!

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »

The Gamepad remote play stuff is definitely cool.  Lots of the launch titles are getting reviews saying that the framerates and graphics aren't up to snuff, but I'd chalk this up to developers not knowing the hardware well yet.  I'm sure within a year the 360/PS3 ports look great.

I'm passing for now, but that has more to do with limited gaming time these days than the platform itself.  I'm sure I'll end up owning it someday...like every system.   :P

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »

The U has been hooked up for 24 hours now. What do I think, no one asked? Well I'll tell you...

Upon hookup there is a download of about 4 GB. The download and install process took less than 2 hours. I created a Mii using the GamePad's camera and unfortunately the result looked strangely like me. I bought New Super Mario Bros U from the eShop. That was a 1.7 GB download and install. The game is fun. I like it more than NSMBW, but I guess it may be new console smell that has me high. Time will tell. I played with the GamePad while Jessy played with the Wiimote. It was fun trying to coordinate my helping and her jumping. I played a couple levels solo on the GamePad and it was a fun experience. Can't wait to get a more serious game like Mass Effect 3 or Black Ops 2 to play on the device. Then I jumped into Netflix and watched a couple of shows. There is a big mess-up on Nintendo's part with the audio. They did not license any official sound processing like Dolby Digital or even Pro Logic II. So all the audio is LCPM (I think that's the acronym). My receiver can handle it, but what it can't do is any processing of it's own. So if something (like all the Netflix I've streamed so far) is in 2.0, that's all I can get. I can't assign any post-processing to give me pseudo-surround. The result is not a good mix when watching Netflix on the big screen. The best I can do is set my receiver to "All Channel Stereo" and I can hear dialogue a little better.

Okay that's enough on Netflix. I'm excited about the console. I think I overpaid a bit by spending $350, but I couldn't resist. Let me know if there's any questions you have. And if anyone else gets one, let me know your ID so we can be friends!

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »

I'm waiting for Rayman before I buy. It's disappointing (but not surprising) that Nintendo cheaped out on the audio. I literally can't understand that company. If they spent the money (high tech specs, money-hats, ramped up release of their classic IPs, etc.), I think they would dominate & crush the competition.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »

After a solid month with the U, I'm still happy. The wife and I have lots of frustrating fun with Mario, and I feel like I have options if I want to play solo. The biggest downside is of course the lack of online interaction with you people. The Netflix issue is no more as I got an Apple TV for Christmas and I'll be using that from here on out.
Pages: [1] 2 3