Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 01:19:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 2083 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Civilization V
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »

I bought Civ V for the Mac last week and am starting to get the hang of it. I've never played a Civ game before and I don't really know what I'm doing, but last night I was at it from 11-2 and barely blinked. I hope the fun continues. Does anyone have any helpful advice regarding strategy or how to win the game?

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »

but last night I was at it from 11-2 and barely blinked.

That describes nearly every game in the series :)

The only (very basic and applies to all Civ games) advice I have is "keep expanding".  You cant turtle up and win in Civilization. Someone else will eventually overrun you or out-research you.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »

Thanks, Mark. I'll do that. So far I've gone to war four times and won once. Two times I beat them into submission and made peace because I couldn't finish them off, the other time I successfully defended until they offered peace. Any tips for conquering a city? Specifically which troops to use as mine just seem to attack and die. Is the key just a relentless barrage of troops?

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »

Attacking cities is tough. Troops fortified in cities aren't easy to defeat. You're going to need either better troops, or more troops - and I believe espionage can help. In previous versions you could send in a spy and use that to reduce the effectiveness of the cities protection.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »

Bought this on Steam over the weekend ($12.49 for the GOTY version) and now I understand the "just one more turn!" jokes.

Knew I had to buy it when the two hour demo ran out in what I swore would only be a 30-minute gaming session.

I'm still in the middle of my first campaign.  My neighbor and ally for the entire game suddenly declared war on me despite nearly two centuries of good will.  I'm managed to keep them out of my lands but no dice when trying to attack their cities.

This might be the one that keeps me sated until Diablo III drops, and perhaps after that game's lustre has faded some.