Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 2629 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Dogs
« on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:51 AM »

Hey all. Within the next 6-12 months we would like to get a dog. I had a dog growing up. She was a wonderful mutt. Half retriever, quarter rottweiler, and quarter shar pei. Of course nothing can ever measure up to her, but I'd like to hear if you all have any breed suggestions based on our wants. Namely, we're looking for a good watchdog that works well with children. Looking around I came across the pyrenees breed. Here are some of the qualities I liked when researching the breed:

The Great Pyrenees is a capable and imposing guardian, devoted to its family, and somewhat wary of strangers - human or canine. When not provoked, it is calm, well-mannered, and somewhat serious. Courageous, very loyal and obedient. Gentle and affectionate with those he loves. Devoted to family even if self-sacrifice is required. It is very gentle with its family and children. It does best with children when it is raised with them from puppyhood, and if they are not being used as working flock guards be sure to socialize them well with people, place and noises.

Character and temperament are of utmost importance. In nature, the Great Pyrenees is confident, gentle, and affectionate. While territorial and protective of his flock or family when necessary, his general demeanor is one of quiet composure, both patient and tolerant. He is strong willed, independent and somewhat reserved, yet attentive, fearless and loyal to his charges both human and animal.

But they are good watchdogs and will bark to raise the alarm of someone on their turf. They are protective, even possessive, of their family, property, and livestock. This dog will make protecting you his life goal. He will want to be with you as much as possible so that he can know where you are and what you are doing at all times. The sheer size of them is enough to deter evildoers, and they have a unique ability to tell friend from foe. They have a deep, booming bark. They are expert barkers. They bark at things you will never even know exist, especially at night, when your neighbors are trying to sleep.

They are remarkably sensitive and sympathetic to your emotions and will comfort you when you need it. In turn, they require affection, kindness and human companionship.

We have a pyrenees rescue society nearby that I thought I might check out. They are very large dogs and apparently a lot of folks are having to give them up because they are losing their homes and being forced into apartments where this size dog can't go. Stupid economy!

I'm also looking for insight on potentially getting into a therapy dog situation. Has anyone done any volunteer work with their pet as therapy, either for special needs children or seniors? If things work out with us getting a dog, I'd like to know how to get involved in that. Where to look for info; that sort of thing.

So please post any thoughts on good breeds for barking at midnight intruders and making kids happy!

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »

Big dogs eat a lot and take big dumps. Something to think about. Also, do you want to have a puppy and a newborn baby at the same time?

Beautiful dog, but looks like it needs a lot of brushing. The thing about Working Dogs is they need to, well, "work." Lot of effort from the owner to satisfy that instinct. They're nocturnal? Sounds like quite a bit of work. But, what do I know? I ended up with a Jack Russell terrier.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »

I've considered that a yappy little dog would probably be just as effective a watchdog as a big one, but I do want there to be some intimidation factor. And I just find those teensy dogs hard to love. So the food and dumps are worth it to me. The fur is going to be my #1 concern.

As for the working dog part, I look forward to having a walking partner. We're moving out of the mountains and into a real-life housing tract with a park one block away. I want the dog to require me to go outside, otherwise it'll just be more Battlefield.

The puppy/newborn question is a good one. I did say 6-12 months. I thought by then he (the child) might be sleeping through the night and would enjoy walks and playing with the dog. Is that too young?

My other idea was getting a rescue that wasn't a puppy so the personality traits and size would be evident, and the full of beans-ness would be out of his system. I've also been reading that they are your best bets for therapy dogs for similar reasons.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »

Pieter, are you interested in having a dog for the family that you then get trained to perform as a therapy dog, or obtaining the service of an outside therapy dog?

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »

I want to train it to be a therapy dog.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

Adrienne's advice is to start here: http://www.deltasociety.org/Page.aspx?pid=302

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

Thanks Dave and Adrienne. That site's very informative.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

Scout

and Blue

last month

and last week:

They are 3.5 months old and so sweet.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »

That is amazing to see the difference since we were there!