Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 21, 2019, 04:51:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: PSP discussion  (Read 28992 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
PSP discussion
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:18:13 PM »

I won't be receiving mine until next week, but for those of you who also broke down like little girls and bought one despite a previous vow of refusal, whadya think?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PSP impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:03:46 PM »

Don't come crying to me when the battery dies after an hour or the UMD flies out and hits a loved one in the noggin.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:46:25 AM »

Let me guess: no PSP love for Canada?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 07:51:39 AM »

Oh there's love....love for our money.  The PSP bundled with Wayne Gretzky Hockey is about all that's available at the moment - $350.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 10:08:37 AM »

So this is the official 'PSP caved in' thread.

Yes, I have caved.   I've warned all along that this was possible.   I've even ordered a USB adapter that will allow me to tunnel LAN games through my PC/internet.

I will of course post impressions over the next couple of days.   I pick up my PSP and a game or two tonite.

EDIT:  Oh, and if I get a dead pixel, and they won't take it back, somebody gets hurt.

Cane Corso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 11:21:18 AM »

I caved and picked mine up this morning.  I have not played anything yet, turned it on and set the settings.  I only picked up one game (as of now), Lumines.  I did put Spiderman in to get a taste of the picture quality and the screen/picture is absolutely gorgeous.  Something I noticed right away....the shoulder buttons feel cheap compared to the rest of the unit. I am sure they function just fine, but they just don't seem to fit with the PSP.  I'll post better impressions after I spend some time with it. 
-Todd Harlan

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »

I'm not going to pick up my PSP until tonite, but today I got a little something in the mail:

Buffalo Stick

This should allow me to tunnel games like Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf for internet play.

The best tunnelling looks to be Kai Xlink.   These guys are really on top of the game and are the leader out there in developing solid tunnelling solutions for every platform.   They have a unified friends list and lobbies, and even support voice chat.

Xlink

PSP Setup Guide

PSP-compatible network adapters

I will attempt tunnelling in the next couple of days and will let you guys know how it goes.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 01:44:46 PM »

Todd,

You are right on.  Absolutely gorgeous!  
The shoulder buttons are definitely inferior to the rest of the design, but no big deal.
Spiderman 2 looks fantastic.  It has been modified to fit the psp screen, so OAR fanatics beware.  I didn't get any games at lunch, but I may rent Ridge Racer or NFL Street 2 this afternoon.  I'm charging her up now and can't wait to play a game.  It looks every bit as nice as has been described.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

WetWork

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 01:52:17 PM »

I caved and picked mine up this morning.  

ditto, about 50th in line 1/2 hour before opening at 9:00AM EST  - J&R  Music  World, NYC.

They had a total of 300 units dispersed amoungst two types of bundles.  I purchased Bundle 1 which consisted of the Value Pack (w/ softcase, cleaning cloth, head phones, 32MB MS, Spidey 2 movie and dem disc) and 3 games (Twisted Metal, Wipeout and Spiderman 2).  They have sold out in 2 hours but expect to receive more tomorrow.

This is my 1st portable and was an easy decision for me.  I wanted an mp3 player and a portable video device for the longest time and I already own many devices that use the memory sticks (I already had (2) 128MB and (2) 512MB) so that eased the pain a bit.

First impressions: I love the build quality of the device and the UMD video quality exceeded my expectations.  I haven't really had much time to play with it but I'm looking forward to playing some twisted metal during my long commute home this evening.  I also plan on using one of my 512MB sticks tonight to convert and transfer "The Incredibles" to.  I'll report on my gaming and memory stick video experience shortly.

Dave A.K.A. WetWork

howiedo1n

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 04:00:35 PM »

Doh..!..   :'(

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 02:32:19 PM »

Here are some 'fair and balanced' additional comments.   I've owned every Gameboy iteration, Turbo Express, Game Gear, Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Atari Lynx, and even a game.com, so I think I'm qualified to critique a handheld.   For $250, this system should be held to a very high standard.

The battery and memory stick covers feel like they are the most fragile ever for a handheld.   The back and the edges of the system feel fragile in general.   The clamshell mechanism feels less solid than those of my minidisc players.   The face (screen, main buttons) actually feels extremely solid.   Lots of people worry about dropping the unit and damaging the screen; I'd be more concerned about the rest of the unit as a whole.   I'd be terrified to let small children handle it, and not because of the screen.   I don't know if I'd say the system was 'cheap', as they may have just been keeping weight down.   But it sure feels fragile!

The shoulder buttons feel cheap and don't have very good tactile feedback.

The audio through the speakers is 'just OK'.   The speakers aren't just lacking level and bass, they are lacking midrange.   The sound from the DS speakers stomps it for frequency response and volume.   Previous Nintendo systems were weak, though.   This substandard sound doesn't bother me very much as I typically use headphones.

The overall ergonomics of the system are less than spectacular.   I played Wipeout Pure for 2 consecutive hours last night and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as playing most of my other handhelds for such a long stretch.  WP is a good torture test because to play well, you need to use the analog nub (or d-pad), at least three face buttons and both shoulder buttons frequently.   The system is a bit awkward to hold in this manner.   Ridge Racers with automatic tranny didn't need the shoulder buttons, so I was able to use a different grip and it was a bit more comfortable.   The placement of the analog nub isn't optimal, but I guess I can understand them giving the d-pad the highest priority.   Frankly, I'd rather swap the two.

The analog nub is better than a d-pad for driving, but it really pales in comparison to the controllers we use for PS2 and Xbox.   It doesn't have much throw, and is stiffer on the diagonals than on the X-Y axis.   Hopefully it loosens up some with play.

The graphics are stunning, and the audio (through headphones) is amazing.   No handheld so far can come close to touching this for audio/visual impact.   Graphics whores who only own one handheld should own this one, period.   I don't regret buying this and I will be playing it a lot.   But don't expect a system that was designed for durability or comfort.   It was designed to be sexy.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 03:32:14 PM »

It was designed to be sexy.

Just like me.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Vipor

• I live over here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

I know a few people with dead pixles out of the box, and heard customers calling and complaning about the covers on the bottom of the unit falling off in there hands while playing. It seems to me that this system is the best and the worst all in one. For 250 I would want the best! I canceled my pre-order this morning.
Bryan

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 02:56:32 AM »

It took some work, and it's still a little touch-and-go each session, but I have tunneled Ridge Racers and it is GOOD!

I have hosted, and joined other hosts, and the gameplay is nice and smooth.   Made a new friend, too (added him to my Kai contact list).   People seem decent over there.

I will try Wipeout in the next day or two.

I need time to practice Ridge Racers.   Too many games, too little time!

(Yes, I know they dropped the 's' from the North American title, but they shouldn't have)

Oh, I estimate I got four hours of battery life before my first charge.   But that was offline...wi-fi is going to eat battery.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 09:04:27 AM »

I played about three hours of Tiger yesterday.

One word: it is a great game.  I shot an 82 in the first round with my newly created gameface golfer, but earned a few bucks to start upgrading my ninja skills.  I couldn't stop.  Played a few Legend Challenges and tournament, enough to get some new duds and new driver.  Finally got a sponsorship from Adidas, which brought some big bucks.  The swing is hard to get used to at first, but a little practice takes care of that.  Load times are long at times, but the game is beautiful.
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9