Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 25, 2019, 07:58:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rocksmith - A guitar game that actually teaches you how to play!  (Read 8250 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile

Topic info shamelessly stolen from GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449027

For PS3/360/PC

Regular edition of Rocksmith comes with the Rocksmith game and a 1/4 inch to USB cable that allows any guitar to be plugged into video game consoles. Regular Edition costs $79.99.

The Rocksmith bundle will include the Rocksmith game, a 1/4 inch to USB cable that allows any guitar to be plugged into video game consoles, and a full-size Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar. The bundle costs $199.99.

Developed by: Ubisoft
Published by: Ubisoft
Release Date: North America: October 18th (PS3/360), Christmas (PC); Europe: 2012.

Venturing the uncharted territorries, Rocksmith is Ubisoft's entry to the niche plastic fantastic market. Unlike the previous music-based titles, the weapon of choice is yours. Pick up your own guitar, plug it in and start rocking!

Rocksmith will include a unique quarter-inch to USB cable, that is the first of its kind, and will allow users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC.

Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this revolutionary cable turns the guitar's signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through video game consoles or PC for the first time. Best of all, the cable has multiplatform compatibility and is universal to all consoles to if you buy it for PS3, you can use it on 360 and PC, and vice versa.

Introducing the next stage in the evolution of the guitar game. Rocksmith, the first and only game where you can plug ANY real guitar into your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 system, and actually learn while you play.

When we say any guitar we mean any guitar.
Whether it's the guitar sitting in your attic, your cherished faithful steed, or the guitar you have yet to buy, Rocksmith lets you plug any guitar into your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 system.

Difficulty settings that adapt to your ability.
You love a challenge, but hate being overwhelmed. With addicting gameplay that adapts to your personal skill level, you will automatically progress from single notes to complex chords at your own pace. You'll be playing 100% of the real guitar parts from the songs in the game.

Lots of music. Lots of styles.
One of the most satisfying moments for any guitar player is hearing yourself play your favorite song for the first time. Rocksmith has amassed an amazing library of songs from different music genres allowing players to experience that moment first hand.

Play songs instead of just learning them.
You want to play new songs, but you don't want to labor through tablature or cringe through poorly produced videos. No problem. Rocksmith will not only present you with new songs, but will also challenge you to step away from the notes on screen and play songs by memory.

Masses of effects pedals, amps, and cabs.
Turn your console into an amplifier and play with loads of in-game effects pedals, amplifiers, and cabinets. String pedals together with nearly infinite combinations and tweak your sound until you're satisfied. Whether it's a crunchy distortion, a vintage tremolo, or a psychedelic reverb, we have the gamut covered to make sure you can achieve the sound you're looking for.

Develop real skills with mini-games.
There will be a wide variety of mini-games that will challenge you to hone in on specific skills. Whether its scales, or finger dexterity you want to improve on, our mini-games will have you covered, and addicted.

Get plugged in.
Rocksmith will include a unique quarter-inch to USB cable that is the first of its kind, and will allow users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this guitar cable is 11.25' cable turns the guitar's signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through video game consoles for the first time.

You'll be able to choose from a large catalog of songs in different styles including:

Best Coast – “When I’m With You”
    Blur – “Song 2″
    Cream – “Sunshine Of Your Love”
    Dan Auerbach – “I Want Some More”
    David Bowie – “Rebel Rebel”
    Eric Clapton – “Run Back To Your Side”
    Franz Ferdinand – “Take Me Out”
    Incubus – “I Miss You”
    Interpol – “Slow Hands”
    Jarvis Cocker – “Angela”
    Jenny O -”Well OK Honey”
    Kings Of Leon “Use Somebody”
    Lenny Kravitz – “Are You Gonna Go My Way”
    Little Barrie – “Surf Hell”
    Lynyrd Skynyrd – “Sweet Home Alabama”
    Lynyrd Skynyrd – “Freebird”
    Muse – “Plug In Baby”
    Muse – “Unnatural Selection”
    Nirvana – “Breed”
    Nirvana – “In Bloom”
    Radiohead – “High And Dry”
    Radiohead – “Bodysnatchers”
    Red Fang – “Number Thirteen”
    Silversun Pickups – “Panic Switch”
    Soundgarden – “Outshined”
    Spoon – “Me And The Bean”
    Stone Temple Pilots – “Between The Lines”
    Stone Temple Pilots – “Vasoline”
    Taddy Porter – “Mean B.i.t.c.h”
    The Animals – “House of the Rising Sun”
    The Black Keys – “I Got Mine”
    The Black Keys – “Next Girl”
    The Boxer Rebellion – “Step Out Of The Car”
    The Cribs – “We Share The Same Skies”
    The Cure – “Boys Don’t Cry
    The Dead Weather – “I Can’t Hear You”
    The Horrors – “Do You Remember”
    The Pixies – “Where’s Is My Mind”
    Queens of the Stone Age – “Go With The Flow”
    Rapscallions – “California Brain”
    Red Hot Chili Peppers “Higher Ground”
    The Rolling Stones – “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”
    The Rolling Stones – “Play With Fire”
    The Rolling Stones – “The Spider And the Fly”
    The Strokes – “Under Cover Of Darkness”
    Sigur Rós – “Gobbledigook”
    The White Stripes – “Icky Thump”
    The Yellow Moon Band – “Chimney”
    Titus Andronicus – “A More Perfect Union”
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – “Good Enough”
    Velvet Revolver – “Slither”
    White Denim – “Burnished”
    The xx – “Islands”

Bonus Songs:

Brian Adam McCune – “Ricochet”
    Chris Lee “Boss”
    Disonaur – “Space Ostridge”
    Seth Chapla – “Jules”
    Seth Chapla – “The Star Spangled Banner”
    VsThem – “6AM Salvation”

More tracks and packs will be added via DLC, including songs, amps, pedals and more.

Can I use my guitar with Rocksmith?

Most likely, the answer is yes. If your guitar has a standard ¼ inch jack for you to plug in a cable, then yes, your guitar will work. If your guitar does not have a jack (for example, many acoustic guitars), you can go down to your local music store and buy a pickup, and your guitar will be ready to plug in and play.

Will I need an amplifier to play the game?
Nope. All you need is a TV, a guitar, and our game. With Rocksmith, your TV or home theatre system becomes your amplifier. You plug your guitar directly into the console, and play. It's that easy.

I've never played guitar, and it seems difficult and intimidating. How do you expect me to play this game with no prior guitar knowledge?
Unlike other music games with only 4 difficulty modes, our game adapts to your personal skill level in real time, making it possible for you to play and have fun. If you're a beginning guitar player, the game will treat you as such, and constantly challenge you to improve without overwhelming you.

I'm an experienced guitar player, and am not interested in a game for beginners. Why should I own this game?
If you're an experienced guitar player, it will recognize this, and feed you the amount of notes that you're able to play. If that's 100% of what the actual guitar is playing in the recorded song, then good for you. You've just learned a new song while playing a video game. Plus, what other video game out there allows you to plug in your own guitar? None! This is a one-of-a-kind experience that you are guaranteed to enjoy.

Will Rocksmith have rhythm or lead guitar in the gameplay?

Both. You will be able to choose rhythm or lead before you begin playing a song. Basically, whatever guitar parts are featured in the actual recorded song, we will have available for you to play.

Are there effects pedals in the game?

There are loads of effects pedals built into the game, and they are all the real deal. You'll get to tweak your sounds, and string them together with nearly infinite combinations until you're satisfied. Whether it's a crunchy distortion, a vintage tremolo, or a psychedelic reverb, we have the gamut covered to make sure you can achieve the sound you're looking for.

Will there be multiplayer?
Absolutely. We will have split screen multiplayer where you and a friend will be able to rock side by side.

What songs will you have in the game?
The intention of our song list is to capture a wide range of music, while concentrating on fun, guitar centric tracks. For the most up-to-date track list, visit the "Track List" section on Rocksmith.com.

Will there be chord charts?
Yes! And they are interactive. Rocksmith includes over 1,000 chords in the game.

What is this I'm hearing about mini-games?
There will be a wide variety of mini-games that will challenge you to hone in on specific skills. Whether its scales, or finger dexterity you want to improve on, our mini-games will have you covered, and addicted.

What is the price of the game?
Rocksmith is $79.99, and includes the game, along with a 1/4 inch to USB cable that plugs any guitar into your Xbox 360, PS3, or PC.

What is the price of the bundle?

The Rocksmith bundle is $199.99, and includes the game, the 1/4 inch to USB cable, and an Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar.

What’s the Rocksmith guitar cable?
Rocksmith will include a unique quarter-inch to USB cable that is the first of its kind, and will allow users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC. Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this revolutionary 11.25' cable turns the guitar’s signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through video game consoles or PC for the first time.

What is the price of the standalone Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable?

The Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable is $29.99, and will allow you to rock out side-by-side with another player.

Will there be bass in the game?
Bass will not be included on the disk since our primary focus is on guitar. However, we realize that there is a high demand for bass guitar, and we are working to release this as downloadable content soon after launch.

Will there be DLC for the game? If so, when?
Yes! We absolutely plan to have downloadable content for the game very soon after launch. But right now our current focus is making the game that ships in October as good as it can possibly be.

Will there be alternate tunings?
Right now we have standard E tuning, and drop D tuning. More alternate tunings will be available post-launch through downloadable content on Xbox Live and PSN.

Can I put my own music into the game?
Currently, no. The intended goal of Rocksmith is not to be recording software. We want people to focus on playing the guitar and having fun.

Will there be latency issues with Rocksmith?
If you experience any noticeable latency with Rocksmith, then it’s more than likely due to the specific setup you’re using. Since everyone has a unique arrangement with their home entertainment systems, we’ve outlined steps you can take to avoid this issue.

Set-up:

- If available on your TV, use the "Game" or "PC" mode setting. These modes bypass extra video processing filters to seriously reduce lag time.

- If the TV does not have a Game or PC mode, you can diminish lag by turning off video processing filters. Refer to your TV manual for more information on how to turn off processing filters.

- Check to see that the console is outputting video at the native resolution of your TV. If your TV’s native resolution is 1080p but your console is set to 720p, the TV must process the signal to scale the image up to fill the entire screen, which adds to the input lag.

- On some TVs, HDMI connections can introduce more input lag than component or PC cables. If your TV has noticeable input lag using HDMI connection, you can diminish the lag by switching to component video cables or PC cables.

- If you’re using external speakers, connecting the audio from the console to a stereo receiver or home theater system using analog audio cables can fix audio lag. To match the on-screen note display to the audio, you can advance the notes using the "Note Advance" calibration.

XBOX 360:

PS3:

Rocksmith YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Rocksmithgame

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rocksmithgame

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhVpLh6cfqE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GhVpLh6cfqE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGsQtWvb3sk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GGsQtWvb3sk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1u_6CY4ntJQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1u_6CY4ntJQ</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AWTCOIryonw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AWTCOIryonw</a>

This is the guitar game I've been waiting for! I'm a fairly crappy guitar player, though that's mostly because I'm self-taught, which means I might be good at some things (fingering-twss) but I'm bad at others (rhythm - twss2). I've been considering paying for lessons, but they're expensive and I never know if I'll get a good teacher or even if I can make the time. For the cost of about 3 lessons, this game seems like it can both teach and be easy to schedule. The set list is awesome, and it might even be incomplete as I don't know if that includes unlockable songs. I purchased from Overstock, and it was $75 shipped. There are some lag issues with HDMI, but it's fixable with switching to analog audio cable. If they actually include bass guitar as DLC, I will be ecstatic. I'm not a fan of Epiphone/Les Paul (that's just a personal failing of mine), but the included guitar in the bundle is probably not bad for $120 extra, if you don't have a guitar already.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rocksmith - A guitar game that actually teaches you how to play!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »

I'm very curious to hear your impressions. I have no inkling of picking this up but it's a great idea.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »

Well, I finally picked up Rocksmith a few days ago. Lets just say I'm amazed how well it all works. The dynamic difficulty level is great. It adjusts on the fly as you get better (or worse). Playing it for the first time brought back memories of the first time I played Guitar Hero. I felt like every person who comes over my house and plays Rock Band for the very first time.  The interface takes some getting used to...I am an amateur guitar player for over 25 years now (but I have only around 4 years of real-world solid experience...played a crapload from ages 15-19, and since then, I pick it up a few times a year).

Anyways, it's a whole new level to rhythm games. I am SO glad I didn't drop big cash on the "expert" guitar for Rock Band. Rocksmith is the true "expert" guitar.  It's the real deal.  But like I said, I am still learning the interface. In RB, each color represents a button. In RS, a number represents a fret, and then one of six colors represents each string. It's like some hybrid of Guitar Hero and Tabulature notation. There's a LOT going on...but the dynamic difficulty helps immensely.

I played ABYSMALLY the first song. But the good news is, over the course of 5 replays, I got distinctly better.  I think being a guitar player helps, but I honestly don't see why anyone couldn't use this to learn to play.

Another cool thing is that you are hearing your notes for real being played. In RB, when you hit a note, you are hearing the pre-recorded track. But in RS you are actually hearing the note you've played being processed. And when you are done with a song, the "replay" is an actual replay of your notes, with all the mistakes, timing issues, and everything. 

If you have every wanted to learn to play guitar - this has got to be the most fun way ever to do it ,short of maybe taking a personal lesson from Eddie Van Halen.

A warning - you won't get that "instant rock star" gratification you get from RB/GH - but you will be actually learning to play real songs on a real guitar - which is its own sort of gratification.

Thanks for the recommendation, Allen!
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »

I have this.  I haven't touched a guitar in a couple of years, and all I could ever really do at my best was to bang out three chords.

My fingers are NOT limber, and the reach of my ring finger is extremely limited.  Basically, I feel like I really never could play anything to begin with.

I play Rocksmith for a half hour a day, and each day I do a little better than the last.  I'll bet after a month or two I'm better than I ever was, which isn't saying much.  For $50-$80, this is a hell of a deal as a learning tool and it makes practice and exercises FUN.

If I'm still sticking with this after a few months I'll spring for some lessons to help identify and correct my bad form, but at least I'll be coming in with some muscle memory, nimble fingers, and thick callouses.

The game is actually a better guitar tuner than my little Korg box, and it turns your stereo into a capable amp.  It's a deal all around.

Now I just need Monoprice to restock those analog out boxes so that I can get the audio lag out of the game.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »

So this and a guitar were my early Christmas gifts that we just picked up this past weekend on a trip down to Oregon.  No sales tax!

Anyway, I've never played a real guitar before in my life so I am coming at this from a complete beginner's perspective.  I have no idea if I've got proper form for my left hand or not...I'm not sure if I'm holding the pick correctly or not...but I am plucking strings and hearing notes come out of my stereo system. :)

I'm hoping that I will actually learn how to play something at some point.  As it is right now, with only a few days under my belt, I most just have sore fingers and blisters.  I can't for the life of me pick just the "one" string I'm supposed to...constantly hitting the other strings at the same time...but I'm assuming this will get better with practice and muscle memory.

I'll update more once I have more time invested in the system.  At this point, despite the steep learning curve, I "AM" having fun with it....and that should go a long way towards keeping me wanting to practice.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »

As it is right now, with only a few days under my belt, I most just have sore fingers and blisters.  I can't for the life of me pick just the "one" string I'm supposed to...constantly hitting the other strings at the same time...but I'm assuming this will get better with practice and muscle memory.

Yep. Sounds exactly like what I went through when I started to learn back when I was in high school. You'll build up callouses eventually, and soon enough you'll be picking the right string, and soon after that you might not even look at the fretboard anymore. Enjoy it!
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »

As it is right now, with only a few days under my belt, I most just have sore fingers and blisters.  I can't for the life of me pick just the "one" string I'm supposed to...constantly hitting the other strings at the same time...but I'm assuming this will get better with practice and muscle memory.

Yep. Sounds exactly like what I went through when I started to learn back when I was in high school. You'll build up callouses eventually, and soon enough you'll be picking the right string, and soon after that you might not even look at the fretboard anymore. Enjoy it!

I so hope that's true! haha

It's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, but I'm just going to keep believing it will get better with practice.

As a side note, I also picked up a free app for the iPad called WildChords.  It was developed in Finland and won a bunch of educational awards.  Basically it's for making practicing chords and scales fun.  You strum your chords to rescue animals that have escaped from the zoo.  It's actually pretty cool that you can just whip out the ipad and start playing and it recognizes your notes!

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »

I'm just glad Troy has a game he can't finish in a week!

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »

Haha...between this, Skyrim, and Saints Row The Third....my game completing has taken a significant hit!!  :P

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »

Haha...between this, Skyrim, and Saints Row The Third....my game completing has taken a significant hit!!  :P

Can you ever actually complete Skyrim? This game is gigantic.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »

So I've had the game/guitar a couple weeks now and I was making slow progress, getting the fingers toughened up, etc.

On Christmas my brother was giving me some pointers as he's been playing for about a year and also got the game around Thanksgiving.  The best advice he gave me was to abandon the pick. 

I made more progress in the couple hours we spent playing on Christmas than I had the entire two weeks I owned the game! :)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »

Bass DLC drops on August 14. $29.99.

With the Rocksmith Bass Expansion, all 53 of the original on-disc tracks that feature bass, as well as any previous DLC purchased, are automatically updated and instantly available to play. Along with the ability to play the bass lines of favorite songs, bassists of all experience levels can improve their skills like 2-finger plucking, slapping, and popping with dedicated bass technique challenges, tutorial videos and mini-games. Players can even use any 6-string guitar to emulate a 4-string bass. Tracking learning has never been easier as bass progression is tracked separately from guitar progression.

There's also a great patch on the same day. Not sure of everything, but this was on Twitter:

New 8/14 patch features: setting song speed and mastery level, improved accelerator, a new DLC shop, menu nav, & more!!

In anticipation, I bought this:

Fender Squier Jaguar Short-Scale bass.