Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:26:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home Theatre Discussion  (Read 1704 times)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Home Theatre Discussion
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »

I've gotten to the point where I need to update/upgrade my home theatre audio set up.  I currently have a 5.1 surround system, but my receiver is nearly 9 years old and has no HDMI or component inputs/outputs.  While my blu rays do sound fine on it, I would like to be able to hook all of my HD components into it, i.e. my cable box, blu ray, and Xbox, without have to switch the digital audio cables in and out.

I have been looking at current systems out there and I am having trouble deciding if I should just buy a new receiver (my speakers still work great) or maybe go with a soundbar system. 

I will admit that I don't have a full understanding of the soundbar systems though.  Does anyone here have one and, if so, are you happy with it?  Does the sound it produces compare at all to a traditional surround sound speaker set up? 

I am not an audiophile with a finely tuned ear, so I'm not as picky as others might be and if I can get a soundbar that produces good surround and doesn't cost as much as a Bose system, I might be ok with that.  It would definitely be better than having to run wires all over the room! 

Thanks!

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Home Theatre Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »

I have this Vizio soundbar. I like it a lot. It will not replace a 5.1 system, but my room layout doesn't really lend itself to rear speakers, nor do I have need/permission for a thumping subwoofer (you can get a wireless sub for this, too). Honestly, I don't even use it when the family is around because it's too loud for them. I use it for games, movies, music and even as a guitar amp with Rocksmith. It does a nice job of bouncing a rear sound but, again, it's not going to do better than dedicated rears. It can also be wall-mounted, which is a space-saver.

I'm not really an audiophile, but it exceeds my volume requirements without losing clarity, and was pretty inexpensive, so I am more than satisfied with it. If you want HDMI switching, true surround, etc., go with a dedicated receiver.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:36:54 AM »

Go with the receiver. You already have a 5.1 system, so the cables are already run, right? You'll love the HDMI switching, Dolby True-HD, dts Master Audio, etc. I'd suggest this one. And if you only want 3 HDMI inputs, get this one. One thing I've found is really unnecessary is a 7.2 receiver vs. a 5.1 version. There just isn't much 7.1 content out there and the .2 for a second sub is silly. I'd love to be friends with someone driving two subs, but I am not and it doesn't sound like you're about to change that.

If you do end up with a sound bar, then I'd suggest you consider a gaming headset to go along with that. My Turtle Beach X41 is so freaking awesome. DD sound without cables all over your family room. Really helps with those FPS games.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »

Thanks Allen and Pieter.  I think I'll go with the receiver.  The reason I was considering the soundbar is I hadn't hooked my surround back up yet since moving in to the house and figured Karli would appreciate that more without wires running all over the place.

However, I managed to hook it up last night and hide the wires so we could watch the Jurassic Park blu ray.  Now I'm on the hunt for a new receiver.

I agree with you Pieter about the 7.1 and 7.2, but those receivers have come way down in price!  I would need to add a couple more speakers though.  Something to think about for sure.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »

Today's woot is a Denon 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver for $160. 4 HDMI, 3D Ready, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."