Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• January 17, 2019, 04:20:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games finished in 2012  (Read 6254 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Games finished in 2012
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »

2010: 5 games.
2011: 9 games.
2012: 4 games.

January 3 (PS3) - Killzone 3. I played this for a bit when it came out, but put it aside. It's still no Halo-killer (and I don't even like Halo). I've been playing for the past few days with the Move controllers, and I thought it really enhanced the experience. There were a few controller quirks that I would like addressed, but it's certainly a viable FPS method, a mix of joystick and "mouse." I didn't find the game that hard on Normal, and they really dumbed down the difficulty of the finale in comparison to KZ2. The guns don't have the heft they did in previous installments, but that might be a consequence of the Move. Cut-scene audio lagged in a few instances. Very good voice acting, nice graphics, a strong mix of different locales, weaponry and combat vehicles, including jetpacks and space ships. Not a system-seller or must-play for me, but a solid FPS.

September 11 (PSP) - Hot Shots Tennis:Get a Grip. In the beginning, this was an incredibly fun game. It had kind of an odd, Japanese-y storyline (Let's spread happiness through playing tennis!), but the mechanics were solid. However, the constant slog of leveling up the characters, the increasingly-weird unlockable costumes and accessories, unskippable written dialog, clunky menu, the variance between character abilities depending on you or the AI playing them, the Boss matches that required dozens of replays to defeat as the AI would go on improbable shot-winning streaks, etc. At the finish, I hated it. It's the one aspect of game design that truly baffles me: why developers seemingly try their damnest to make the player regret playing the game by the end.

November 7 (Wii) - Super Paper Mario. Chloe and I began this one several years ago, and when we started it back up, I found that we were almost to the final boss. Having completely forgotten the storyline and controls, it took a bit to get back to speed. A Paper Mario game is coming out for the 3DS and this put us in a good mood for it. I will say that the Japanese have a strong tolerance for slow, inane dialogue bubbles and interminable endings.

November 12 (360) - Halo 4. Easily the best game in the series. Great weapons, great story, new elements such as flight and mechs were quite fun.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
Re: Games finished in 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

Games finished in 2009: 29
Games finished in 2010: 23
Games finished in 2011: 26

January 4 - Battlefield 3 (360) - single player campaign
February 25 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360)
March 3 - Syndicate (360) - single player campaign
March 15 - Mass Effect 3 (360)
March 18 - Journey (PS3)
May 12 - Driver: San Francisco (360)
May 28 - Singularity (360)
June 4 - Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (360)
June 23 - LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360)
July 22 - Spec Ops: The Line (360)
August 30 - Darksiders 2 (360)
September 1 - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360)
September 15 - Papo & Yo (PS3)
September 17 - Mark of the Ninja (360)
October 4 - Borderlands 2 (360)
October 16 - Dishonored (360)
November 12 - Halo 4 (360)
December 2 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown (360)

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

2011: 11 games

January
Skyrim (all factions completed, main quest completed) - PC
Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC The Missing Link - PC

February
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC

April
Castle Crashers - XBLA

June
Diablo III (normal difficulty) - PC

September
Legend of Grimrock - PC

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »

2009: 24 Games
2010: 21 Games
2011: 26 Games

Jan 8 -- Torchlight (PC)
Jan 20 -- Dance Central 2 (360)
Feb 11 -- Shadows of the Damned (360) Hard Difficulty
Feb 17 -- King Cashing (iOS)
Feb 21 -- Mass Effect 2 DLC Lair of the Shadowbroker (360) Insanity Diffictulty
Apr 22 -- Saints Row The Third (360) Hardcore Difficulty, 1000/1000
Apr 29 -- Mass Effect 3 (360) Normal Difficulty

In Progress:

L.A. Noire (360)
Skyrim (360)
Dead Island (360)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »

I have great respect for those of you that finish games. I finished nothing last year. This year I'll finish FFXIII-2 and probably nothing else.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »

Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »

Skylanders

Diablo for the younger crowd. Loved it. Toy based, but never felt like a cash grab. Each character feels/plays different, and I definitely preferred some over others based on my play style.

The last boss was a bitch.

I only have 23 of the 32 characters (9 aren't out yet). But they should be shipping some new ones this week,  so I can complete my set.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »

Skylanders

Diablo for the younger crowd. Loved it. Toy based, but never felt like a cash grab. Each character feels/plays different, and I definitely preferred some over others based on my play style.

The last boss was a bitch.

I only have 23 of the 32 characters (9 aren't out yet). But they should be shipping some new ones this week,  so I can complete my set.

But it is a cash grab game, isn't it? I mean, can you experience the whole game without buying all the characters? My son got it and some extra characters for Christmas, but we haven't played it much since SWTOR, so I am pretty much clueless about it.

I guess I am a hypocrite, since I don't seem to mind paying a monthly fee to play a game which has content access spoon fed to me according to level and class.

Maybe it is the payment structure.

I will say the that thought of buying different, tangible elements at a real store to enjoy all a game has to offer weirds me out. As a gamer, I fear games will soon require a credit card peripheral (which will cost extra) for use when access to certain areas requires a swipe and $3.99.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »

On one hand, Tony, you're right: the game is designed with some sections walled off, requiring you to have at least one Skylander for each of the 8 elements (when only 3 ship with the game itself). And throughout the game, you'll find items linked to specific characters, giving you a subtle encouragement to go out and buy as many of them as you can.

On the other had, I ultimately agree with Chris: it never really feels like a cash grab. You can experience the entire story, really, with just one character (although some of those boss fights are so tough we'd never get past them without reserve characters) and have a good experience. My daughter and I have been playing it co-op, and she understands that we won't be buying every character out there. We'll probably end up with one for each element, in the end.

As an aside: one of our figures (Trigger Happy) had a faulty chip, and I was really impressed with how quickly Activision Customer Service sent us a replacement. We didn't even have to mail in the bad one.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:01 AM »

Updated for Dance Central 2 (360)  Played every song on the disc.  Harmonix really delivered again, taking everything that was good about DC1 and making it even better.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:13:59 PM »

Games finished in 2011: 9

Darksiders - Jan 29
COD: Modern Warfare 3 - Feb 20
Skyrim (main story) - Feb 28

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »

Wrapped up Space Marine tonight.  Damn, that was fun!  It's not perfect, and I have very little exposure to the Warhammer universe, but I enjoyed almost every single minute of twelve hours I put into this game.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

Updated for Shadows of the Damned (360)  This was actually a pretty fun game.  Definitely not for kids.  Lots of language and sophomoric humor.  The gameplay was good though.  I can't believe that in this day and age though, people still make games where Difficulty achievements don't stack.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »

Updated for King Cashing (iOS)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »

Updated for COD: Modern Warfare 3.
Pages: [1] 2