Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 25, 2019, 08:27:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playstation Vita  (Read 5565 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Playstation Vita
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »

Anybody getting one of these? I previously had zero interest in the system, but I had a 360 and a couple of DS's gathering dust and GameStop was offering some really good trade-in deals towards the Vita, and I pre-ordered one. The wi-fi model ended up costing me $56.

The original PSP was a giant brick, and beyond a few games (Lumines, Puzzle Quest, Hot Shots Golf, Crush), never really satisfied my handheld gaming needs. Long loading times, console-type games, poor battery life, expensive titles, unwieldy ergonomics, etc. all kept it from being a good portable. I recently got a PSP Go, and I love it, but I'm either playing Lumines or emulating Nintendo games so I'm not really using the system as intended. I also jumped whole-hog into UMD movies, and I feel pretty burned on that front.

The Vita has some amazing technical specs, and it's certainly making real console gaming portable (Uncharted: Golden Abyss seems to look as good as the Uncharted 3 PS3 version), but I'm still pretty "meh" on the whole thing. Sony's proprietary memory cards are insanely expensive. The big OLED screen looks fantastic, but a large screen needs a large casing, and I doubt I'll be carting this around. It's bigger than the original PSP! My iPhone makes it easy to grab 3-minute increments of gaming, and the App Store has spoiled me to think that good, fun games can cost 99 cents. I purchased Rayman Origins, and it's apparently the same as the wonderful console version (minus the co-op), so that might sway me towards acceptance.

I'm betting that Chris is getting one, but how about the rest of TehBias?

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Playstation Vita
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.  Vita is going to have to gain way more traction and offer more unique experiences than PSP before I'll bite.

Smashingblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »

Already have mine pre-ordered on lockerz.com for $248 for the 3G bundle.

Picked up the following:
32GB card
Uncharted
Rayman
Hot Shots Golf
Touch my Katamari
Hori Case
Hori Screen Protector

Was considering Shinobido, but I'll wait on further reviews.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:08 AM »

Blast from the past! Hey, Smashing.

I'll say one thing for the Vita: the game cases are cute! Honey, I shrunk the Blu-ray case. HSG, Lumines and Super Stardust Delta are on my radar. I don't think I'll go with a protective case. I babied the PSP in the beginning and was afraid to take it anywhere. Maybe a screen protector. Is the screen glass or plastic?

I guess I'm going to have to guy a memory card, too. I've been spoiled by the 16GB of onboard memory of my PSP Go. It's crazy to not offer some memory storage. Then again, this is Sony with yet another proprietary memory solution. I'm going to try and make do with the 8GB.

Smashingblue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »

Hey how have you been?

Is everyone else still around?

The Vita's screen is plastic, so a screen protector is a must, if not for piece of mind.

I had a preorder at Amazon.com for the WiFi, but when I saw that lockerz.com had the 3G version for cheaper I had to take the chance. Never ordered from them before, so we'll see. I ended up going for 3G just to have the GPS chip, as I have no intentions of paying for 3G service.

I'm getting th 8GB card with my Vita, so if your interested I'll sell it to you for less than retail. Let me know, but I'd recommend going at least 16GB.

I'm also looking forward to utilizing PS Plus with the Vita; have quite a few games. Hopefully PS One games will be enabled on it shortly.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »

My big interest is in Remote Play with PS3 games, so let me know how that feature grows as it sounds slim to non-existent right now.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »

Got to play around with one of these today at Best Buy and it's shockingly light.  I still have 2 psp's at my house that don't get used at all so if I do decide to bite on one of these, I'll have to subsidize it with trade in stuff.   An original PSP is probably not worth $25 bucks nowadays so that's not a good start....

I'm waiting for some good Ratchet & Clank games, Little Big Planet and of course the inevitable Jailbreak/Custom Firmware hack to come out before I even bat an eye at it....

Very sexy though..

Plastic screen?  Dang.  You're right about a screen protector....

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »

Well, this is one fantastic screen, that's for sure. Bright, vibrant and huge.

The Vita is lighter than you would think, perhaps a bit lighter than the original PSP-1000. For all its faults, the 1000 feels like a solidly-constructed piece of electronics. I thought later versions were plastic-ky and cheap. The Vita is well-built and nicely-balanced in the hands.

The OS really shines. Very quick and responsive to touch (you cannot access the OS using the hardware buttons), and customizable. Apps can be kept in a saved state, or closed completely by "turning the page" with your finger. It's an interesting mechanic. It would be nice if the screens could rotate, so you could hold the Vita a little more naturally like a (very big) phone.

The Vita is indeed quite large. It's about 2/3" longer than the PSP. The screen by itself is bigger than my iPhone. It's not out of the realm to think you could carry it in your pocket, but I'd be more worried about the thumb-sticks.

It's nice to have a handheld with real thumb-sticks! A twin-stick shooter like Super Stardust Delta controls great. There's not a lot of throw in their range, so I'm not sure how a FPS will fare. The d-pad and face buttons are small, but responsive. Shoulder buttons feel the same as PSP's. The cameras are both terrible, although the lighting is very poor where I tried them out. The front camera is off-set, so it's difficult to take a good self-portrait. I didn't have any time with the back touch-screen yet.

Pieter, Remote Play does work, though there's not a lot of content that's compatible at the moment. I did briefly play Pixeljunk Monsters. I didn't think it looked very good, but I don't know if that was due to the game or the service.

I've played Rayman Origins and it looks fantastic, absolutely on par with the console version. Super Stardust Delta is also stunning. On the first screen of Lumines, the blocks are so ugly that I was actually sad to have bought it, but later screens bring the beauty.

Certainly, for the price I paid it is a fantastic system. I don't really see that it will fill my need for a 3-minute burst of gaming while I wait for something, but it's more than capable of allowing me to sit through a terrible tv show. There is one huge benefit for Sony, though, and that is that I will lean strongly towards getting those PS3 versions of games that come with Vita versions as promised.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »

Jeff, you do realize the Vita is a gaming device, right? For playing video games?

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »

I tried one out in the store and the first thing I noticed was how loose those thumbsticks feel. Was that just the demo unit? It was a sweet looking machine, but Sony pisses me off with their proprietary form factory memory sticks.

I'm wondering how long it will take to crack it...

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:01:06 AM »

The thumbsticks are pretty loose, though they are probably much worse on a store demo unit. However, they are very accurate. Super Stardust Delta is a sublime twin-stick shooter. I played the demo of Unit 13, a 3rd-person shooter, and didn't find them too unwieldy. Apparently, Uncharted uses a thumbstick+motion aiming that works very well. FPS isn't a genre I really enjoy on a small screen, though, so I'll probably not get many shooting games.

It really is a fantastic piece of kit and probably the best handheld console ever (I have a soft spot for the Game Boy Micro for portability). The form-factor being larger than the PSP is actually an ergonomic improvement. The screen is so amazing. The games are too expensive, but the titles I've purchased provide a lot of gaming for the cost. My only regret is probably Mod Nation Racers, which is fun (the content creation is more fun than the racing) but has a few performance issues.

There was an exploit discovered which allowed loading of some homebrew programs, but nothing that would allow pirated games or emulation yet. Sony pulled the PSN game that had the backdoor.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »

Two categories of questions:

1. For someone who would likely purchase mainly digital versions of games, what size memory card would you recommend? How big is the average Vita game?

2. What's a suggested headset for someone who wants to play in the family room while the wife watches television? Something that sounds good and blocks out everything except for the wife's voice.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »

1. You probably want the 32GB card, which is insanely overpriced at $100. I have a 16GB ($60), and I have about 8GB free at the moment, but also around 5 demos which I will be deleting. Vita games are ~1GB, give or take. I think I'll be happy with the 16GB, but I intend to buy retail games when I see them on sale. Digital prices probably won't drop that much/often. 32GB is more future-proof, though.

2. Why not use your X-41's? You can get converters from mini-jack to 1/8". Any earbud that isn't inner-ear will let you hear a voice as long as the volume isn't too loud. Full-size headphones that let you hear speech probably have sound leakage. I've heard praise about the official Vita earbuds, but don't know if that's from audiophiles. You could also go with something like onegoodearbud.

Mike is our resident audiophile, I think.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »

Sony was nice enough to hook me up with a Vita Wi-Fi/3G, an 8MB memory card, and 3 months of 3G service today. It was my first real hands on with it, other than the attached semi-neutered demo unit available in my store.

It really is quite impressive. Nice size, comfortable to hold (TWSS), and the OLED screen really is a thing of beauty. And I actually think I like the Facebook and Twitter apps better than the actual things.

Some of the built in apps - near to be honest, are quite cumbersome. I prefer the StreetPass option of the 3DS in terms of ease of use for an app such as this.

They also gave me Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, but I haven't installed them on my Vita yet.

I'm probably gonna pick up MK, Katamari, Lumines, and UMvC3 at some point in the near future. I'll stick with the retails, as opposed to the downloadable though. the 32GB card is still too pricy for me.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

Used Vitas are $120 on Cowboom right now.  I got one from there a couple of months ago and it arrived in mint condition.

It really is an awesome system.  I play my 3DS XL a bit more, but I really love the Vita.
Pages: [1] 2