Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• November 14, 2018, 01:20:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Games of the year 2012  (Read 2020 times)

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
Games of the year 2012
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »

My list:

1. JOURNEY
2. MARK OF THE NINJA
3. DISHONORED
4. BORDERLANDS 2
5. MASS EFFECT 3
6. XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN
7. SSX
8. HALO 4
9. PAPO & YO
10. SYNDICATE

I have not yet played THE WALKING DEAD, which probably would have cracked this list. Honorable mentions include NEED FOR SPEED: MOST WANTED and KINGDOMS OF AMALUR: RECKONING.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Games of the year 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »

Hmm, I'll have to actually play some more games to make a list. I suppose BF3 doesn't count anymore? I'll go with Halo 4 as the best game I've finished this year, and believe me I never thought I'd say that.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:46:31 AM »

I didn't finish one game this year. I played Final Fantasy XIII-2 (about 10 hours), Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (one night of MP), New Super Mario Bros. U, and Assassin's Creed III (I just passed the title screen). I have Halo 4, but haven't played it yet. So I'm not really at liberty to pass judgement I suppose.

Allen, we did buy all those DLC packs, those should count as new content. Then again, the Close Quarters pack was a total waste of money as we never play it...

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »

I really enjoyed SSX and Mark of the Ninja.  I've played a few hours now of Most Wanted and really like it as well.  Just got AC III for my birthday but haven't started it yet.  I also grabbed The Walking Dead on XBLA when it was so cheap the other day and I'm looking forward to starting it. 

Also, I ordered Halo 4 last week from a Boxing Day sale and should have it soon.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

Since I haven't played a lot of the AAA titles this year, my highlights of the year are:

Trials Evolution
The track detail and variation is amazing and they really nailed the local multiplayer mode too!

Borderlands 2
I missed out on the first game but I'm having a great time with this. The variety of weapons is definitely a novelty. Played great as a single or multi player game.

Journey
I actually have Dave to thank for this. I saw his Top 10 list on Twitter a couple of weeks ago and although I had downloaded the demo for this, I hadn't tried it. Before playing, I went ahead and grabbed the full version.

I think Journey is a game this either clicks with you or it doesn't. For me, it most certainly did. I hesitate to stay too much about it because I think for anyone interested in playing it, it's something that should be 'experienced' with as little prior knowledge as possible.

This game evoked emotions in me (fright, urgency, exhilaration, determination) greater than any other game has ever done before -- and something that was accomplished with no text or dialogue. I will say that at the end of the game, I was mentally exhausted. When it was finished, I just stared at the screen until the credits were completely done before I snapped out of it.

The graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is a wonderful compliment to the game.

Still to play: XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Halo 4