Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 19, 2019, 02:23:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Official Playstation 4 thread  (Read 17366 times)

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
Official Playstation 4 thread
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »

So, here is the official (non)announcement:

http://gizmodo.com/5985701/the-playstation-4-is-here

Specs here:

Controller:

Interesting that they didn't show the console itself, nor discuss game media format or used game capability...

Since my PS3 is covered with dust, I doubt I'll be getting a PS4, but I like the changes to the controller triggers and the Move light bar seems cool.  Not sure how that touchpad will be used or if it'll be gimickey...  Love that the controller finally has a headset port so you can ditch the BT headset fiasco.

Cloud based streaming of old PS1, 2 and 3 games.   Hmmm.  I don't know about you, but my PS3 takes foreeeeeeeevvverrr to download stuff.  Netflix is okay, but not as good as through my Sony Blu-ray player (go figure).  They better improve the network a ton if they want to stream games.

More than anything else, the 8GB of RAM is the thing that stands out.... 16x more than the PS3 or XBOX 360...  

Can't wait to see what MS is gonna do to respond...

J.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Playstation 4 thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »

Day 1.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »

Cloud based streaming of old PS1, 2 and 3 games.   Hmmm.  I don't know about you, but my PS3 takes foreeeeeeeevvverrr to download stuff.  Netflix is okay, but not as good as through my Sony Blu-ray player (go figure).  They better improve the network a ton if they want to stream games.

I think they quietly mentioned that most online features will require a subscription, so I suspect download issues may decrease.

But I agree - downloading is hit or miss on my PS3. Took 4 tries over 2 days to merely get an update for Starhawk.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »

Day 1.
Same here. None of the titles they showed were "must haves" for me, but Sonys refocus on GAMING, as well as developers, and ease of developing have really made a positive impact on me.

Not to mention the hardware spec is ridiculous. I just want a price point of 300-400, but I'll accept 400-500.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »

I think they quietly mentioned that most online features will require a subscription, so I suspect download issues may decrease.

But I agree - downloading is hit or miss on my PS3. Took 4 tries over 2 days to merely get an update for Starhawk.

I hope Sony keeps the Playstation Plus program. It is a ridiculously good value.

My Vita does a much better job at downloading than my PS3.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »

Day 1.
Same here. None of the titles they showed were "must haves" for me, but Sonys refocus on GAMING, as well as developers, and ease of developing have really made a positive impact on me.

Not to mention the hardware spec is ridiculous. I just want a price point of 300-400, but I'll accept 400-500.

This↑
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Just heard that Sony is going to require that all games that don't use the Eye camera, support remote play on the Vita.

The bummer is that there won't be a Plus 'Instant Game Collection' for PS4 right away because there won't be a library and they won't want to cannibalize sales of all their release titles.  So that will have to start a few months down the road.

It really, really seems like Sony has learned a ton of lessons from the PS3.  Microsoft doesn't seem to have a visionary like Mark Cerny, it kind of seems like the One is design by committee.

Headset jack on the controller!!!

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

I am also liking what I am hearing from Sony...

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »

I am also liking what I am hearing from Sony...

Integrating the VRAM in a unified pool should allow the architecture to beat PCs with the same CPU/GPU/RAM specs because bus bottlenecks will be mitigated.

That plus the fact that it's always possible to squeeze more power out of a standardized platform versus millions of PC configurations, well, PS4 could be outshining gaming rigs for years to come.

Maybe.

Having somebody like Mark Cerny spearheading things reminds me of the old Seamus Blackley, J. Allard, Ed Fries days of Microsoft.  With PS3 it felt like the suits were running the show, now I get that feeling from Microsoft.  It's almost like Sony has learned from Microsoft, and that the latter have forgotten their entertainment division roots.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »

No limits on used games.  No requirement to connect online.

Sony, I like you more than Microsoft right now.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »

And a hundred bucks cheaper.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »

I'll be preordering one as soon as I can. Sony really knocked it out of the park after a slow start.  Sure you need a plus membership for online play but the free games still make it worth it I believe.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »

Just preordered one from Amazon with release day arrival and no tax.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:47:12 AM »

Man, I may have to jump off the MS ship and onto Sony's. They really addressed and countered every issue One is getting backlash on and, honestly, the $100 price difference is a big deal.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »

Yep, I've jumped ship with a PS4 pre-order as well.  I cannot comprehend how MS came up with their DRM crap if it wasn't mandated by game publishers.  It will be very interesting to see what this does to initial sales of both.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5