Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 27, 2019, 05:41:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mad Maestro!  (Read 2675 times)

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mad Maestro!
« on: January 15, 2005, 12:20:59 PM »

Just wanted to pass along a quick game recommendation for those who like rhythm games or have kids.  It's called Mad Maestro! (yes, the "!" is part of it) and it's a cool little game if you can find it cheap.  I obtained my copy for $9.  I'd had my eye on it for a while but I knew I didn't want too pay much for it.

Mad Maestro's music contains only classical music, differentiating it from other games of the genre.  The music certainly doesn't sound as good as the real thing as it is simply MIDI format but sounds enjoyable nonetheless.  There are 34 songs included with lots of recognizable pieces.

Like other rhythm games, you must match button presses with on-screen cues based on the song's tempo which can change throughout the song.  Also, you must follow volume cues by making using of the PS2's pressure-sensitive buttons.  A blue cue means to tap the button softly, green is for a normal press, and red is for a hard press.  Arrows also accompany some cues which you must press to tell other sections of the orchestra to begin playing.  The pressure-sensitive aspect is the toughest part to get used to, but thankfully the user can fully customize the sensitivity.  Another saving grace for all of this is that you only need to press one button, not different ones.  That would have been too much to handle.

You play through the game in a story mode which has you recruiting different people to play in your orchestra.  You are usually trying to get them out of a jam by playing your music well (hey, I never said it wasn't far-fetched).  If you do well, the scenery reflects this and good things start to happen.  If you do bad, flowers will wilt, rain clouds will appear and so forth.  This aspect feels a lot like PaRappa the Rapper as the graphics and animations are very abstract.  Once you've recruited enough members, it's off to the symphony hall that is in danger of closing.  Here you play three or four songs in a row (very taxing on your finger).  If you do well enough, the audience will request an encore.

For children and beginner adults (don't worry, it won't make you any less of a man) there is CHILD MODE.  This lets you choose from eight different selections.  Each selection contains two songs.  The thing with child mode is that there is no need for follow the touch sensitivity and no matter how horrible things go, the song will always finish.

If you can find this game for $5 or $10 - give it a shot!

Gamespot's Review

Mad Maestro! is the first rhythm game to venture into the realm of classical music, and the game handles it pretty well. Much of the music is a bit obscure for the average gamer, though everyone will recognize some of the staple songs included, such as Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries," various pieces from Tchaikovsky's ballets Swan Lake and The Nutcracker, and the overture to Rossini's opera William Tell.

COMPLETE SONG LISTING

1. Hungarian Dance No. 6 in D major, Johannes Brahms
2. Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G major, Johannes Brahms
3. Slavic Dance No 7, Antonin Dvorak,
4. Thunder and Lightning, Joahnnes Strauss II
5. Finale from Carnival of the Animals, Camille Saint-Saens
6. The Marriage of Figaro, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
7. Scene from Swan Lake, Piotr Tchaikovsky
8. Toreador song from Carmen, Georges Bizet
9. Baba Yaga's Hut from Pictures at an Exhibition, Modeste Mussorgsky
10. 9th Symphony-4th Movement, Ludwig Van Beethoven
11. Entry of the Gladiators, Julius Fucik
12. Marche Militaire, Franz Schubert
13. March from the Nutcracker, Piotr Tchaikovsky
14. Trepak from the Nutcracker, Piotr Tchaikovsky
15. 40th Symphony K550-1st movement, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
16. Orpheus in the Underworld Overture, Jacques Offenbach
17. Flight of the Valkyries from The Valkyrie, Richard Wagner
18. Night on Bald Mountain, Modeste Mussorgsky
19. Dance of the Four Swans from Swan Lake, Piotr Tchaikovsky
20. Morning from Pier Gynt Suite, Edvard Grieg
21. William Tell Overture, Gioachino Rossini
22. Racoczki March, Hector berlioz
23. 5th Symphony-1st Movement, Ludwig Van Beethoven
24. Radetsky March, Johannes Strauss I
25. Csikos Post, Hermann Necke
26. Toy Symphony, Leopold Mozart
27. Eine Kleine Nacht Musik, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
28. Dance of the Reed Flutes from the Nutcracker, Piotr Tchaikovsky
29. Algerian Suite from French Military March Music, Camille Saint-Saens
30. Flight of the Bumblebee, Nikolai-Rimsky Koraskov
31. Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks from Pictures at an Exhibition, Modeste Mussorgsky
32. Divertimento No. 1 in E flat major K113, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
33. L'Arlesienne Suite No. 2 from Farandole, Georges Bizet
34. In the Hall of the Mountain King from Pier Gynt Suite, Edvard Grieg

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Maestro!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:04:41 PM »

I love Mad Maestro!! It's yet another rhythm game I'm not very good at, but the song selection and background interactivity really distinguish it from the rest of the genre.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."