Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 27, 2019, 06:02:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Official Playstation 4 thread  (Read 17616 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Playstation 4 thread
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »

Well, I have my PS4 with BF4 and Killzone, though of course PSN is down from the load (oh, Sony).

I'll be online a lot tomorrow afternoon and evening.  Gamertag LexLucidity.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

Yep, got mine today. With every game. Thanks Gamestop!

Firmware update is complete. Initial set up is done. Camera and face recognition set up.

Can't connect to PSN though. Since all my games minus Knack and Killzone are digitals, I can't download them at the moment. I'm wicked tired after the midnight launch last night, so I might not play anything tonight, and actually play tomorrow night.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »

Yeah, dumb old me bought BF4 digitally.  I want my Resogun too.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »

Well, I have my PS4 with BF4 and Killzone, though of course PSN is down from the load (oh, Sony).

I'll be online a lot tomorrow afternoon and evening.  Gamertag LexLucidity.

Just got the request. So the old Beer Monkey name is no more?

We won't have our system until Christmas most likely, but in the meantime I'm going to subscribe to PS+ and catch up on some of those games.

PSN name is Maremy for anyone who hasn't added Mary and me. Yes, the name is sickeningly cute. Heh.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »

Got mine yesterday too...only have Fifa 14 and the free PS+ games at the moment.

Gamertag is Ledbetter76
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »

Beer Monkey got his oringal PS3 banned from PSN due to accidentally letting it logged in with a hacked OS.  I decided to start over clean.

Oaktree 76

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »

Hey long time no talk, hit me up...  Oaktree76

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »

I ended up cancelling my pre-order, and will probably pick up the PS4 sometime next year.  Raising a 2 year old toddler with a wife who works nights and weekends has left me with only a few hours available for gaming each week, so the Wii-U is still very new to me.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 09:30:35 PM »

Ahhh bummer.  Totally understand though.  We'll wait for you.  ;-)
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »

Maybe Battlefield 4 will be playable by then!

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

I noticed you guys playing last night...still having connectivity issues?  I'm thinking of getting BF4 for Christmas....even though I always stink at Battlefield games.

-Thomas Jefferson

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »

I noticed you guys playing last night...still having connectivity issues?  I'm thinking of getting BF4 for Christmas....even though I always stink at Battlefield games.

My BF4 was COMPLETELY broken for days (crashed before I could get into a match, did the whole 'you want to upload this crash report' thing).  I deleted and and reinstalled it yesterday and it seems to be working OK now so I'll try to get on soon.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »

The PS4 OS certainly has had growing pains this week. If only there was some metric whereby Sony could reasonably know how many consoles would be in consumers' hands that first day. If only...

The OS as launched only survived whole for a bit, before some parts were shut down to lessen the load. The "What's New" section scratches a "Gaming Facebook" itch I didn't know I had. It's a little small and redundant now, since a tiny group of friends all playing the same four games yields pretty repetitious updates. Once we're a larger, more diverse PSN community I think it will foster some interesting posts. They've already patched and improved the menus, and Sony seems quick to respond to issues. I think the OS will see steady refinement.

The hardware itself is top-notch. It has a small footprint and it's surprisingly slim. My launch PS3 dwarfs it. The DS4 is such an ergonomic improvement over the Sixaxis it seems more than a generation ahead. There's apparently a rapid-deterioration problem with the rubber coating of the thumbsticks, but the KontrolFreek stick extenders fit just fine. The sticks are tight and springy; the triggers are finally concave and offer more resistance; and the shoulder buttons and triggers are spaced enough that I haven't accidentally hit one for the other.

The included headset is a cheap, flimsy thing, but it will work in a pinch. Unfortunately, my Turtle Beach 'phones aren't quite supported. Apple earpods sound awful and produce feedback. I'm inclined to say Xbox has a better chat service, but I'll wait for us to all have proper equipment. I like that all audio can be sent through the controller.

The launch games are a mixed bag. Battlefield 4 and NFS: Rivals suffer from poor menu design, and BF4 just doesn't work very well online yet. Resogun is the standout title. A brilliant update of Defender, it's a difficult shooter that has a lot of depth. Very fun, and free with PS+.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »

Jeremy, BF4 got a patch today and will get another one this week, so it is playable finally. It is very hectic and fun!
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »

Well said...you saved me a lot of time doing a review.  ;-)  I'll add that I'm using an old $20 PS3 usb headset and it works great...the one that was packed with the system is garbage.

NBA 2k14 is very good.  The game play is the most realistic game of basketball I've ever played on a console, even though it has been years.  The presentation, graphics, and play by play really draw you in.  Some of the othereise compelling "my career" story pieces are repetitive and cheesy.  I'd give the game an 8.5.

I haven't played Fifa 14 enough to say for sure, but it feels like Fifa 13 with a fresh coat of paint and the difficulty turned up.

Contrast was an excellent PS+ free game.  It is a puzzle game wrapped in a story.  It has one of the more unique game play mechanics I've ever seen though.  The main character exists in both, 3d and 2d as a shadow who can reach difficult locations by climbing shadows.  It was a short 5 hour game, but it was addictive.   I typically hate puzzle games and I beat this in one setting because it was so fun. 

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5