Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 12:24:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: XBOX One Impressions and Discussion  (Read 11434 times)

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
XBOX One Impressions and Discussion
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »

I was underwhelmed with yesterday's reveal.  If you have the time, this is a funny rant...

http://n4g.com/news/1262146/xbox-one-reveal-angry-rant

Sure a lot of things that people (myself included) are pissed at MS for haven't been revealed by Sony.  So the PS4 may have some of the same issues.  We'll see if any more is revealed at E3.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-what-we-do-and-dont-know

As of right now I'm leaning towards a PS4 even though I don't like my PS3.  I just want it to play games and don't care much for my system running 3 OS to juggle plates so I can watch tv with overlays etc.  Still reserving judgement, but I'm certainly sceptical of the new Xbox.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
Re: XBOX One Impressions and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »

I'm interested, but want to see more about how it all will actually work.  I wonder if it will come with a headset, or if you are supposed to talk through the microphone one kinnect and hear voices back through TV/stereo speakers.  I'm also a little creeped out by the thought of having an always on kinnect that is connected to the internet, I'd always feel like somebody's watching me.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »

Ok, this is funny...  take 1 minute and 40 seconds to watch this.  This is essentially what I got from the reveal.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/podcast-beyond-the-brilliance-follies-of-xbox-one-event

And I agree with you Mark. 
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »

Definitely like what I saw, but with my limited gaming time, I probably don't see myself getting one till the first "must have" game releases.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:02 AM »

If it works as advertised, I'm looking forward to being able to hot-swap between games and apps and TV.  Mandatory installs that result in no disc being needed is also a plus in my book. I already use the Kinect (via voice) for navigating the dashboard - so the prospect of having quicker and more robust navigation makes me happy.

Also, after having several heated discussions with a friend of mine, I think I've now accepted that the "no-used-games" era that may be upon us. Remembering that since the early/mid 90's - the PC world has almost universally been operating in a "no-used-software" scenario makes it a little easier to swallow. (of course - the used-games issue is a completely different discussion - while I'm not technically 'happy' about it - I'm ok with it)

Definitely like what I saw, but with my limited gaming time, I probably don't see myself getting one till the first "must have" game releases.

Yeah - as much as I'm looking forward to the next-gen (both Xbox One and PS4), I'm just hoping to get a solid pre-order on the ONE. I have no plans to camp out a Best Buy like I did for the 360.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:39 AM »

I'm not a fan of the Kinect. I hate the arm waving and I really don't even like the voice recognition capabilities. The added "better with Kinect" features some games claim are not better at all. It is far easier to push left on a control stick and hit X than to swipe my arm left and right and then up and down, hoping the camera sees what I am doing.

If the Kinect HAS to be connected and on for the One to function, if its required arm waving calisthenics are required to use it, and it is always on, watching and listening, that would be a big problem for me.

I don't care about TV on my console.

I don't care about video calls.

It is also crappy that you can't take a game over to a friends house to play, or borrow a game from a friend. I know you can't do that with PC games, but if the next gen systems are just non-upgradable PCs, then why not just game on a PC...

I did like the fact that you can pause a game anywhere and pick it up exactly where you left it. If this ends checkpoints and save spots, that would be joyous.

All that and Xbox One is a lame name. That must have been one really shitty brainstorming session.

So I wasn't really impressed I guess. Oh, I'm sure I'll buy the damn thing, though.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »

It's a bit of a bummer that the specs are about 30% weaker than the PS4.

No used games is a bummer; if I buy a $60 game and hate it, I sell it on Amazon for $40 right off the bat, so I'm only out $20.    Trade in prices are too low most of the time, and will only be lower if they end up doing this activation thing.

I love the physical design of the box.  I LOVE the controller.

I don't have TV so that's not a selling point to me.

I would rather see Kinect be optional and just build the microphone into the console.  I find it weird that they apparently aren't packing in a basic headset even if they are selling fancy surround headsets.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the games at E3, that's what it's all about.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:08:44 PM »

Couldn't agree more, Mike.  I wanted to stay with xbox as my main console,  but many of the points you raised have me leaning the other way.  I'll see if e3 and the coming months change my mind.

-Thomas Jefferson

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »

Microsoft has cancelled their press roundtable at E3.

On top of that, they are now cancelling one-on-one press meetings:

Are they trying to go for an entire E3 without answering any press questions about Xbox One?

EDIT:  Adam Sessler reported that Sony is also not going to do any one-on-one meetings with the press.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »

That is not a great way to build excitement for the system. I was looking forward to some answers. I guess we have to settle for game trailers instead.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »

Some nice looking stuff today.  Ryse and Titanfall in particular looked very good.  Sunset Overdrive and Dead Rising 3 I'd certainly like to see more of (but what happened to the humor in the latter franchise?).  $500 seems a little high.  I'm still wary of the always-on and DRM stuff, though I realize many if not the vast majority of people don't give a whit.

Mysterious Halo shooter at 60fps!  A Master Chief game that isn't Halo 5?  Intrigued.

If Sony's system will still let me quickly sell a $60 game on Amazon for $40 when it turns out to be a turkey, then they've got my primary interest, but MS definitely put on a good games show today, better than they have in years.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:33:26 AM »

They kept true to their word and focused on the games. I think every game shown was either full gameplay, or at least real-time rendered cut-scenes, with the exception being Sunset Overdrive. They didn't really say the nature of the video, but it really looked like a trailer more than gameplay.

Killer Instinct was a fun surprise, as well as using it to show game-DVR ability to edit and upload a clip of something you just played and would like to save.

Ryse definintely looked great, even if it was MS's "Hey, we've got a cinematic-style God of War game now too!"  (I kinda hope this is a launch title)

Project Spark looked great, even if it was MS's "Hey, we've got a Little Big Planet 2 game now too!"   (it's use of smartglass looked really cool, as well)

Titanfall was just...wow. I mean, WOW.  (things like this are what really makes me go...ok, this is unquestionably next-gen stuff)

Agreed that $500 was a little of a surprise/bummer. I could try to defend it all day, but the reality is that it's going to be tough, especially if Sony manages since Sony managed to get the PS4 into users hands at the $400 level.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

Titanfall is a system-seller, for sure. I'll be jumping in at that point, if not sooner.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »

Regarding Titanfall, I've got a gaming PC.

Look, I'm not saying I'll never get an Xbox One.  Honestly they had a very good presentation on games.  I've got some reservations about a few things so I'm taking a wait and see approach.  It will be very interesting to see how the market reacts and if any policies evolve over time.

As far as the $100 thing goes, I have to think that they'll have the leeway to cut price within the first year if they need to so that's probably not a big concern.  I just don't see this system as being that much more expensive to make than the PS4.  Kinect has higher res cameras than last gen but dropped the motorized element.  Sony's using GDDR5 RAM that is a lot faster (and pricier) and has more silicon in their GPU.

It's real interesting to see how influential the success of 360 has been on Sony.  Everything from embracing indies as MS once did, using a PC-ish architecture (PS4 and Xbox One use essentially the same CPU and GPU), to putting an analog headphone jack on the controller.  In a sense the 360 midwifed the PS4 by forcing Sony to compete.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »

Titanfall is a system-seller, for sure. I'll be jumping in at that point, if not sooner.
Willing to bet it's a timed exclusive. I give it 6 months before it's on PS4. We're talking EA here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4