Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 03:51:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: XBOX One Impressions and Discussion  (Read 11437 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: XBOX One Impressions and Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »

Titanfall is a system-seller, for sure. I'll be jumping in at that point, if not sooner.
Willing to bet it's a timed exclusive. I give it 6 months before it's on PS4. We're talking EA here.
Dude named 'crazy buttocks' who's been accurately leaking stuff like crazy says this one is one year.  Would probably make more sense to wait for the holidays instead of the summer any way.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »

I just finished watching the Microsoft E3 press conference and, as I already knew, Microsoft didn't address any of the One's cons for me.

They did leave me with two more questions:

Why in the fuck would Master Chief require a Jawa outfit in the desert? He's Master Chief for fuck's sake.

Can I live without playing next gen Halo?

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »

Preordered my XB1 last week. I can see possibly getting a PS4 late next year, assuming I hear good things from my local friends and those here who are getting one.

Can I live without playing next gen Halo?

Probably. I kinda wish they would let the franchise hibernate for a while.  Halo 3 coming out 3 years after H2 was a big deal. I was ready.
The Master Chief reveal at E3 this year was more like "Oh hey, that's that game I played late last year."

I didn't preorder any titles yet, but Dead Rising 3 is high on my list, followed by Ryse and Watchdogs.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »

Giant Bomb reporting that MS is dropping the whole DRM thing and 24 hour checks.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

Let us hope so.  I still am in disbelief that they tried to pull this nonsense.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

I'm really shocked that they pulled a 180 on this. Although it still doesn't change my mind about getting PS4 this year. The DRM policies were never my issue with the Xbox One.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

The DRM thing will happen naturally over time.  Look at the Vita, where most game purchases are made through the online store.  It is inevitable and I am OK with that.

But trying to force it this early on would just result in massive industry contraction, more unemployed developers, and ultimately, a lot fewer games.  The console business is not equivalent to PC gaming, most of the consumers are very different and a substantial portion of them are not as connected.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »

Yeah, but we also lose this:

"But gone now is the ability to share a game library among up to 10 family members, Whitten said. Gone too is the ability to roam, popping into a friend's house without a copy of your game and simply downloading it from the cloud to play. While games will still have to be installed, the disc will have to be in the tray for the game to function, a system which verifies a gamer owns the title they're playing."

I was totally stoked about the family game library.  Bummer.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »

My understanding about the 'family' sharing is that only one family member, other than yourself, can play at the same time.  Still, I see the appeal.

Of course, if they want to roll out sharing for digitally purchased titles, they can.  There's nothing stopping them.  Maybe a little spite?

Gamestop shares are up 5% in after hours trading.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

My understanding about the 'family' sharing is that only one family member, other than yourself, can play at the same time.  Still, I see the appeal.

Yep, that's what Phil Spencer said. But it's a moot point now. I was also hoping that the DRM policy (which was essentially the same as Steams, with the added advantage of family share) would encourage bigger digital "sales" (as in 'this week, 75% off!!!') like are the case on Steam all the time.  Hopefully that's still a possibility since every title is supposed to be available digitally.

Oh well.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »

I just bought Mark of the Ninja on Steam for $3.75.  In February it was on sale for $4.99.

It went on sale once on XBLA, but for $7.50.  The MSRP on both platforms is $15.

FWIW, MotN is published by Microsoft on Steam.  If they had any interest in selling it as cheap on XBLA as Steam, they could do so in a minute.  I don't expect MS to ever make the Marketplace as good of a deal as Steam, and I don't expect them to make it any better of a deal as it already is, and I don't see how diskless or DRM would have anything to do with that.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »

...and infamous leaker crazy buttocks on a train' has confirmed that 'family sharing' was time limited to 60 minutes per title.

As in, who gives a shit.

Microsoft was being so cagey about details for stuff like sharing and trading that I was never able to get excited about any of those features.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »

Got a note that the day one XBone will be delivered on November 27.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »

I'm glad MS reversed its stupid DRM and always connected policies. I wasn't as optimistic on how digital distribution specials would parallel the savings of buying used games as some, and the internet connection check was an absolute deal breaker. I do hate the Kinect, and am wary about Xbone's reliance on its version and how that all plays out.

I love my 360. I've never really been tempted to buy a PS3. I did immediately preorder a PS4 after I watched Sony's press conference at E3.

I immediately preordered a Xbone once MS came to its senses.

My thought is I can sell one on Ebay and help fund the purchase of the other. I had a launch PS2 and a launch 360 and the aftermarket prices were so high on each of them at their launches, I sold them both when I got them and waited for supply to catch up.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

I preordered the One, 'just in case'.

You know, if it were backwards compatible, it would have been a no-brainer.  Even with the DRM stuff.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »

I'm sure I will end up getting both systems at some point... I always do.  However, I'm going with PS4 first.  Who's getting both?  If only getting one, what was the deciding factor?

For me, I felt jilted by MS.  I like the $100 savings, but that wasn't huge.  I don't care as much about my system being a social hub or cable box.  I like the removable hard drive in the PS4.  I like not having to have Kinect if I don't want it.  I also like that PS4 is more friendly towards indie devs.  I really wanted to stick with Xbox as I barely play my PS3, but I can only afford one at launch and I'm happy with my decision.  MS did help themselves by changing their policies, but it felt like a spouse who cheated on another only to come back and say..."no, baby... I never meant to hurt you.  I don't really love those used game fees.  DRM don't mean nothin' to me baby"  ;)
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4