Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 05:11:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: XBOX One Impressions and Discussion  (Read 11438 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: XBOX One Impressions and Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »

MS did help themselves by changing their policies, but it felt like a spouse who cheated on another only to come back and say..."no, baby... I never meant to hurt you.  I don't really love those used game fees.  DRM don't mean nothin' to me baby"  ;)

To be fair, the used game fees weren't going to MS. They were going to the publisher of the game.

And I feel like a bride who was proposed to based on a promise of going on an overseas honeymoon, only to be presented with "let's just stay here in town for the honeymoon!" after I accepted the engagement.

I liked that both companies were offering completely different experiences. Then the internet outraged, MS blinked, and now we have two very similar systems - and let's be honest - not talking the "hardcore gamers" here - but the majority of people that will get a next-gen system are probably not getting both, at least not at launch.

But to answer your question, my deciding factor was that the Xbox LIVE experience was so much better for me than anything Sony had offered, even since the vanilla Xbox. Sony has yet to deliver an enjoyable online experience for me. Whether it's bluetooth headsets that don't sound great, to huge game patches that take me much longer (and often multiple tries) to download, to an online marketplace that gives me nowhere near as much content to trial as the LIVE arcade marketplace.

Simple answer - MS has served me well, Sony has not. I don't have a good reason to assume anything would change with that situation, at least not solely based on a PR presentation at E3.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

I don't really think that MS changed anything due to internet outrage per se.  We've seen this kind of thing before when the PC community was screaming for a boycott of Modern Warfare 2 because the game wasn't going to have dedicated server support...and of course the sales ended up being just fine.  I think that Microsoft blinked simply because the PS4 preorders were much greater than the XB1 preorders.  That's the free market speaking to you, and you are wise when you do not ignore it.   Given the presale numbers, shareholders ultimately would have been the ones with the outrage.  This is business, and the fact is you don't walk away from a huge marketshare just to try something different that the public isn't ready for yet.

Sony screwed up so badly with the PS3.  The allocation of memory, for example, made it impossible to implement cross-title chat.  Not only did they not pack in a headset, there was no headset jack on the controller, and the Bluetooth headset quality was very spotty.  There was no standardized system for game invites and notifications across different titles from different publishers, and once they came up with something they refused to make developers support it.  The store was a mess.  The price was too high.  They basically delivered a piece of hardware, whereas Microsoft delivered a system, a platform, an ecosystem.  An experience.  Sony had 70% of the marketshare the previous gen with the PS2, and Microsoft took away a huge piece of it last gen.  Microsoft came in hungry and motivated and it led them to innovation where Sony was overconfident, arrogant, and took their consumers for granted.

Microsoft to me smells like the one who is overconfident and taking gamers for granted, and Sony looks like the hungry, motivated challenger.  The design of the Vita ecosystem shows that Sony has learned enormous lessons from the last console generation; it really seems like they 'get it' now.  But only time will tell.  I have thoughts but it is definitely too early to draw final conclusions.

As far as all the extremely vague amazing stuff that Microsoft was promising, they can still do all of that.  They can do it with the digital versions of the games.  There is nothing preventing it.  But the market isn't asking for it.  Yet.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »

Good feedback guys.  Mark, I agree about Xbox Live vs. PS online service and that's the main thing that I'm tenative about, but I also agree with Mike that they appear to have learned a lot from their mistakes and do seem humbled a bit vs. last gen.  I'm hoping my $400 gamble isn't a bad one.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »

Sony's version of XBL is my main concern about the PS4.  I hope we get some detailed impressions about it well in advance of launch.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »

Sony's version of XBL is my main concern about the PS4.

They've confirmed cross-game chat, this I know.  I'd imagine they'll have some official video out showcasing how online works by September or so.

They have also confirmed that you need a Plus account to play online multiplayer.  Plus is a no-brainer though.  If you've had Plus for the last 12 months, you've been granted all of these free games for download:

PS3
Uncharted 3
Little Big Planet Karting
Hitman: Absolution
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Mass Effect 3
Dead Or Alive 5
Sleeping Dogs
God of War HD
Batman: Arkham City
Vanquish
Little Big Planet 2
Red Dead Redemption
Demon's Souls
Mortal Kombat
Infamous 2
Dead Space 2
Borderlands
Okami HD
Shadow of the Colossus HD
Ico HD
F1 Race Stars
Starhawk (SP Campaign)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Darksiders
Crysis 2
Saints Row 2
Just Cause 2
Bulletstorm
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
Motorstorm Apocolypse
Joe Danger 2
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Quantum Conundrum
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
The Walking Dead Ep. 1
Catherine
Double Dragon Neon
Machinarium
Hell Yeah!
Pinball Arcade
Knytt Undergound
Big Sky Infinity
The Cave
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Chimes Super Deluxe
Virtua Fighter 5 Evolution
Limbo
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
Renegade Ops
Rock of Ages
Retro/Grade
Outland
Hamsterball
Magic Orbz
Cubixx HD
Wakeboarding HD
Sky Fighter
Ricochet
Smash Cars

Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Mortal Kombat
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Metal Gear Solid Collection
Rayman Origins
Coconut Dodge Revitalised
Velocity Ultra
Limbo
Mutant Blobs Attack
Sine Mora
Jet Set Radio HD
Pinball Arcade
Puddle
Knytt Underground
Big Sky Infinity

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »

Holy crap!   :o. There are some good, AAA games on there.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »

I received an email yesterday from Walmart letting me know that my preorder Xbox One was scheduled to be released and shipped on November 26 and should arrive by December 2.

For whatever that is worth.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »

I imagine they are just covering the Black Friday bases there.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

Headset!!!!

(packed in)

I support this 100%.  Sony was making Microsoft look really silly on this bullet point, glad to see the reversal.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »

The media interface looks pretty cool, but I wish it could control my DVR as well. I could free up an HDMI slot that way. I very rarely watch live tv.

I assume since the Kinect is now "always on," that is why it doesn't react oddly to them gesturing while speaking or when they simply refer to the "Xbox." Right now, if I do either of those, my Kinect 1 switches modes and it's really annoying.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

I assume since the Kinect is now "always on," that is why it doesn't react oddly to them gesturing while speaking or when they simply refer to the "Xbox." Right now, if I do either of those, my Kinect 1 switches modes and it's really annoying.

Agreed. Hope it works as well as they showed. I had to cover up my Kinect when watching a UFC PPV with a bunch of friends. Every few minutes the "hand" would pop up randomly over the screen.

The skyping looked really cool, especially with the Kinect tracking, and full widescreen video. The video editing looks like it will be really cool for videopodcasters.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »

Watch this video of Giantbomb's Jeff Gerstmann using the Xbox One & Kinect to watch tv:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-watching-tv-with-xbox-one/2300-8251/

I'll stipulate that he sometimes talks too fast or doesn't frame the command successfully (but when something isn't recognized, you tend to only repeat the command word that wasn't understood), but even when it's responding it makes mistakes, and that's also different from how Microsoft is marketing it. (Gerstmann made a post at NeoGAF where he said that he spoke no differently than the MS reps who had demonstrated it to him twice before.)

He had earlier praised using the Kinect to navigate the UI, which I sometimes do with both the 360 and PS4. I'm sure many of the problems can be mitigated with patches and practice, but as a signature service, on launch day it looks to be a negative.

Twitch broadcasting is one of those things that I hadn't given much thought to before, but I think it's the biggest revolution of the new generation so far. It's going to supplant game reviews for me. Why take the word of a reviewer when I can just watch someone play the game? And unfortunately for XB1, MS says it won't be available until 2014.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »

I'm sure many of the problems can be mitigated with patches and practice, but as a signature service, on launch day it looks to be a negative.

That's a bummer. I figured the 12 minute marketing video was probably a little too good to be true.

It's going to supplant game reviews for me. Why take the word of a reviewer when I can just watch someone play the game? And unfortunately for XB1, MS says it won't be available until 2014.

Oh wow. Until you just mentioned it - I had never thought of it in that way. I just figured it would be something cool for people to have for tournaments - but I couldn't think why I'd just want to watch someone play. Makes sense now.

And now I'm bummed it's not available at launch.   Thanks!   :P

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »

XboxOne first weekend impressions.

The quick and dirty - I'm very happy with the unit, although it's not perfect.

And I'll complain about the bad stuff first:

Kinect 2.0 *audio* recognition is ok. It's better than Kinect 1.0 but still not the perfect specimen we all saw in the 12-minute video from MS. I'd say it recognizes and correctly processes my speech approx 70% of the time. It's good - but I wouldn't want a doctor using it to vocally automate surgery.  Although, "XBOX ON" works flawlessly. It has yet to fail to recognize that one.

Maybe it's just because it's new - but the dashboard is cluttered, IMHO. I think they really want you to use Kinect voice to navigate, because some things don't seem to have a dedicated menu slot, like Upload Studio, which is their clip editing/upload app.

And related, the store, even though there's not a ton there yet, was hard to find stuff that wasn't "featured". I didn't even think there was a way to browse "new items" until I complained about it to a friend, and he showed me the little "..." at the bottom of the dash that means "more", which has the browse ability.

And I think that's it for the bad.

Now for the good stuff:

I realize as time goes on, things may slow down...but the network is blazing fast right now. The day one update went really quick. I didn't time it, but I'd say it took less than 15 minutes to download and install around 5pm Eastern this past Friday.

For an example of the speed of the network - when you go into the store and browse a title such as Dead Rising 3 - there will be "Game Clips" that you can click on. Within 3 seconds, a full screen clip from another user plays, usually having been recorded sometime in the past hour.

The clips aren't full 1080p, (well, they are...but they're compressed - so there's a little artifacting). But these clips load FAST. I spent a good amount of time watching clips in the store. Forza 5 looks beautiful - but NFS Rivals looks a whole lot more fun :)  I also saw a clip someone had titled "crazy flying dead guy" for BF4. It was hilarious. Someone was running around in MP, and you hear a far-off explosion, and a body just goes flying in a perfect arc over the horizon. I never played BF3 MP, but watching all the BF4 MP clips has me more interested in it.

Recording clips is super easy, and as marketed. Just say "XBOX RECORD THAT" (this is another command that has yet to fail to recognize) and in about 10 or so seconds, you get a notification that a clip has been saved. The clip will be the 30 seconds exactly prior to you issuing the command.

Editing the clips is easy too, using Upload Studio. They give you tools needed to do basic trimming, and have templates to add skins, as well as having the ability to do audio voice-overs and visual PnP using Kinect. You can even make montages stringing up to 5 clips - and then you can take a bunch of 5-clip montages and string them together...rinse and repeate to hearts content. Once you save your edited clip it's uploaded (really fast) and available for all to view. Which brings me to my next point...

The multitasking of the XB1 is great. This is the scenario that happened to me:   Playing Dead Rising 3. I say "XBOX RECORD THAT". It notifies me the clip has been created. I hold the XBOX button when the notification comes up to zoom to the item. I watch the clip in the generic player, and then tell it I want to edit it. It takes me to the store and says "you need to install UPLOAD STUDIO" to do this. So I click install. About 20 seconds later its done and I'm in the studio editing the clip. Once done and uploaded, I go back to the dash and find DR3 in a square on the bottom and I click it, and instantly I'm back to playing DR3 where I had left it.

Similarily, when I put DR3 in the drive the first time, it asked me if I wanted to download and install a required update for it (I did, of course), so it started downloading the update and installing the game from the disc. It did all this in the background while I was doing other stuff like browsing the store, watching clips, and even watching Netflix. There were no obtrusive notifications like the 360s "I stopped downloading ABC because you're using the network for other stuff, etc". A little while later, I simply got a notice that DR3 was done installing.

You can now use Kinect to redeem your DLC codes, provided they come in QR format. (The ones with DR3 and Ryse did). Worked like a charm.

Skype worked great, with a nice full screen view that digitally pans when the subject moves around. You do have to use your existing (or set up) Skype ID.

Dead Rising 3 co-op is great fun. And whichever review said "DR3 looks visually as good as DR2, just with more zombies" is smoking crack. It looks a WHOLE lot better, and it's amazing to see hundreds of zombies on screen, coupled with amazing draw distances in the open world. Co-op is straight up just the main campaign, and you don't have to stay together. We were on opposite sides of the city at one point just engaging in zombie killing fun.

XBOX Fitness is a cool built in Fitness suite that of course, uses the Kinect. It essentially felt like browsing a video store with a bunch of workout videos. Some were free, some were pay, but even the pay ones had free content. I did a 10-minute workout, and not only was it a good workout, but having Kinect know how hard I was working, and putting a score multipler on the screen based on it was very cool.

Oh and finally, while the Kinect audio recognition is hit and miss, the visual recognition is amazing. Kinect visual sign in works great There was never even a visual calibration for me personally. After I entered my login credentials, it just showed a video feed and said "Is this you?" With my gamertag following my head.

And not that I care to play "arm-flailing-games" - but I did try out Kinect Sports Rivals. It's a simple wave racer game where you move your fists towards and away the screen like you are holding handlebars. Not up and down, but towards and away - and the kinect was flawlessly able to detect the depth change - even with 2 players at the same time.

And then it all worked flawlessly again - in the dark. I got up Saturday morning at 6am, and the only light in the room came from the TV itself. The Kinect's IR ability meant the game played as flawlessly as it had the day before in good light. Even in the dark, I never once felt like I had lost control.

I haven't mentioned TV, since I don't have cable - but I did hook up my Apple TV (I love using Apple TV to stream pics from my iPhone to the screen saver) and it worked fine.

So, like I said, all in all, very satisfied with the XB1 so far.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4