Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• April 21, 2019, 04:22:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you still play the Wii?  (Read 6796 times)

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
Re: Do you still play the Wii?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 07:15:35 PM »

I haven't in a while, but am glad I have it.  My favorite part about it is the virtual console.  Wii Play is still in its wrap, I just got it for the extra wiimote.  Sometime when we are less busy my wife wants to have friends over for a Wii party.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »

A new Neilsen report is out, and it confirms that households with Wiis simply don't give them anywhere near as much play time as 360s and PS3s.

Of six consoles listed (PS2, PS3, 360, Xbox, Wii & GameCube), the Wii has the lowest percentage of active users, the shortest average playtime session, the lowest number of average daily play sessions and the second-lowest number of average days used per month (only the GameCube trails).

If your family doesn't play your Wii that much, they may be typical.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »

I wonder if the physical part of the Wii is also its downfall--I like playing Zelda, even the old Super NES "Link To The Past".  But the thought of having to get physical with the sword, for instance, is what may turn me off to playing it.  Not that I'm lazy, but if I'm relaxing with a video game, I'd rather sit and work a controller on the couch, not have to get up and start jabbing at moblins.  Not saying I don't want a Wii (I still do, especially now that the price has dropped), but I'm thinking twice about it now.  Even so, it is one thing that I share in common with the kidlets. 

And now that I think of it, they don't mention playing the Wii at their mom's house all that often.  They actually wore out their GameCube.  ;)

Do I (or will I) own a 360 or PS3?  Probably never.  Not due to the consoles (the 360 is definitely a cool system, and I feel like I'm missing out on some of the multiplayer fun by not joining in), but there really are very few games I'm interested in.  My game play is limited to my favorite series, most of which happen to be specific to Nintendo (the Mario and Zelda franchises, to name two). 
-= Rudy =-

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »

OK, hopping in to reply to myself from a three year old post...  ;)

Having played through Skyward Sword once, and started a second run-through, it is easily my favorite Zelda game.  I actually did not get very far in Twilight Princess (Wii) and got a bit bored with it--it just seems like a rehashing of the two N64 era games.  But in Skyward Sword, having a Motion Plus controller is required, so I bought one locally from a Craigslist seller.  I had another Wiimote with the Motion Plus add-on, but it was erratic (and yes, I made sure it was locked in place).  When we used it, we were always stopping part way through Wii Sports Resort to calibrate it.

The control of the sword in Skyward Sword is uncanny though.  It is eerie to see the motion of the sword exactly mimicking my every move...slow, fast, it follows it precisely.  Those little nuances helped when playing this game.

This past Xmas, too, I scored an entire Beatles Rock Band setup (two guitars, drums, mic and game) for $90.  The extra guitar alone cost $100 new, IIRC!  Having a blast playing all the Rock Band games, along with quite a few I've downloaded.  Hardest song ever:  "Rude Mood" by Stevie Ray Vaughan in Expert mode...dare ya to try it! :D
-= Rudy =-

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »

I bought a couple of copies of Wii Play Motion that were on clearance at Target and they're definitely better than the Motion Plus add-ons. My parents' Wii was stolen, but my brother the Luddite gave them his (though he'd lost the power cord so I gave them ours and then bought us a Wii U). I'm going to follow your lead and mod my Wii (if still possible) and use it for emulation.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »

The emulation is neat, as is having the ability to run games from a hard disk.  I'm trying to figure out how to make it work so I can also use GameCube games from the hard disk--they now have it working, but I can't get it to work on my own Wii just yet.  It is better than the way the discs all seem to be left out and fall on the floor around here.

To first jump into modding the Wii, it is overwhelming out there.   You also need a specific game to unlock the "bug" that allows the back door to start modding.  But for me it has been well worth it.  Follow their instructions to the letter and you'll have no problems at all.  I used one of the Lego Star Wars titles, IIRC. 

I only wish the Wii had WPA rather than WEP for wireless security.  Currently, I have a separate subnet setup on my network for the Wii and my DS Lite, so I don't have to expose my main network to any security weaknesses. 
-= Rudy =-
Pages: 1 [2]