Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• April 21, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wii U thread  (Read 11596 times)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Wii U thread
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

**BUMP**
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »

Does anyone know of a relatively easy way to use an external DVD drive with the Wii (to run my game disks)?  My dvd drive has shat the bed and I don't see myself paying for another wii.  The reason I ask here is the fact that a successful outcome will keep me from having to buy a Wii U for another 12-18 months.
Thanks!

Hacked Wii using external DVD drive

Replacement laser pickup

Replacement DVD drive

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »

I wonder if those DVD drives are harvested, or if they're new.  It might be worth picking up another Wii to mod if someone is giving one away with a dead DVD drive, as $30 is a cheap fix.  (I recently bought a 50" Sony LCD rear projection HDTV with a bad optical block--$40 bought the TV, $90 fixed it, and I have a $2300 TV to use for a few years until I can afford a real one. :D )

After having had the Wii with the external HDD, I wouldn't go back to discs unless I absolutely had to.  It is nice having all the games available from a menu (likely because I'm lazy :D ).  And they don't get screatched up.
-= Rudy =-

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

I'm guessing the drives are harvested, but that's just a guess.

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:41 PM »

I have a Wind Waker bundle pre-ordered, and I'm looking forward to picking it up next week.  I also plan to get Pikmin 3 and New SBMU, along with the Pro Controller.  From what I've found out in my research so far, it looks like the Wii virtual console on the Wii U does not work with the Wii U Pro Controller.  Is that still the case?  So if I wanted to play Zelda LTTP or Super Punchout on the Wii VC, I would still need the Classic Controller for the Wii.  I have 1700 Wii points unused.  It looks like these should transfer over to the Wii U.  Can anyone confirm?  I'm wondering if I should buy games on the Wii VC to use up the balance before doing the transfer.  One last question, do any Wii U games require Wii Motion Plus?  I never upgraded my original Wiimotes.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 12:53:40 AM »

I don't think the Pro Controller works with VC games. Seems to be a WiiU only thing for now. Your points will transfer over, but I think they're still locked over on the Wii side of the OS. I'm not sure about Motion Plus. I got a couple of Wii Play bundles that were clearanced at Target. Knowing Nintendo, I doubt they require the latest in tech.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »

I don't think Motion Plus is required for any Wii U games.  And no, the new Pro Controller doesn't work in the vWii (virtual Wii) mode.

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »

I've got 4 NES and 2 Super Nintendo games on the Wii VC that are also available on the Wii U VC.  I was hoping to use some of those Wii points for the small upgrade fee.  But I think what I am going to find out is that even though the points transfer, they are still only useful for the Wii channel inside of the Wii U, and that I won't be able to use them on the Wii U market place.  I think the Playstation Network has spoiled me.

I'm looking forward to Saturday, my wife and 2 year old son are going out of town for the majority of the day, so I hope to have lots of free time to get acquainted with the new Wii U.

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »

My Nintendo I'd is SparkzPSN.  I'll add the others from this thread as soon as the Pikmin finish moving my files from the Wii.  Pretty easy set up so far, but I still had to download a system update even though the new bundle came out today.  Only took about 5 minutes though.  Did anyone use their Wii sensor for the WiiU?  I'm going to try, it's already snaked through my media cabinet, if it's the same, there's no sense in crawling back there to rewire the new one.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »

The Wii U sensor is the same. As a matter of fact, you don't even need to unhook it from the Wii, as long as the Wii is on. All the processing of location is done in the Wiimote itself.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Pages: 1 2 [3]