Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:29:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Reactions to Trailers for Upcoming Films  (Read 77376 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Reactions to Trailers for Upcoming Films
« on: June 21, 2005, 10:41:09 AM »

Fantastic Four - is it just me, or does this look lousy?

Dukes of Hazzard - this speaks 'Netflix' to me.

The Chronicles of Narnia - ok, I'm ready.   I'll be there opening weekend.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I'll have to see this as well, I loved the books as a child (more than the Wilder flick).

The Island - Blade Runner (and other Philip K. Dick) meets Logan's Run.   Can Michael Bay make a good movie that is obviously 'inspired' by multiple works of PKD?   Honestly, from the trailer, I can't tell.

Into the Blue - J. Alba looks great in a bikini.   But not $10 great.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions to Trailers for Upcoming Films
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »

Into the Blue - J. Alba looks great in a bikini.   But not $10 great.

IMO, she looks $20 great... I want the DVD to watch again and again!

Pieter

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:57:23 PM »

Pieter,

There's a lot more of her to see in some of these clickable thumbnails.

http://www.aclasscelebs.com/forum/post-10649.html

http://www.genmay.net/showthread.php?t=539588

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 05:32:01 PM »

There's a lot more of her to see in some of these clickable thumbnails.

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned... :o

Pieter

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 08:40:34 PM »

F4 looks really bad to me. The Thing was my favorite comic character as a kid. I loved how angry he was. Not just in a rage like the Hulk, but bitter about the hand that he'd been dealt. Marvel characters were so much more complex than DC's back then.

Dukes will be crap. Maybe, maybe if it had been another Ben Stiller/Luke Wilson vehicle (heh), it would work.

Narnia. Hmm, not-so-thinly-veiled Christian allegory. There's been a lot of buzz about Disney being completely faithful to the book as an exchange for the American Familiy Association ending their Disney boycott.

Charlie. I think that the original looks better. Nostalgia has no doubt colored my vision, but I don't think Depp can best Wilder. At least not with that feminine portrayal.

The first time I saw The Island trailer, I did think it was a remake of Logan's Run (someone even says "Runner!"), but it seems to have ripped off a dozen different movies. Looks cool, but there is a Michael Bay factor to consider. And I bet it has a happy ending.

I hadn't heard of Into the Blue, but since it was written by the same guy as "Torque," you know it will be good.

Why, oh why, must trailers give away so much of the movie's plot?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:21:04 PM »

Dukes will likely be a rental.  What's up with Depp's feminine portrayal of Willy Wonka?  I was quite surprised seeing that - thought it would be more similar to Gene Wilder.

Why, oh why, must trailers give away so much of the movie's plot?

They seem to be getting worse.  Still, nothing beats Robert Zemekis type of spoilers.  I remember seeing the trailer for What Lies Beneath (after the movie, thankfully).  They gave away several MAJOR plot points including a red herring that was suppose to have the audience guessing for about 30 minutes!  I seem to recall Cast Away's trailer being quite spoilerific as well.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »

Narnia. Hmm, not-so-thinly-veiled Christian allegory. There's been a lot of buzz about Disney being completely faithful to the book as an exchange for the American Familiy Association ending their Disney boycott.

Well, C.S. Lewis was a great theologian. Are you implying that the movie, if it is indeed faithful to the books, will not be worth viewing because it has Christian inspiration? The books are great, no matter what your religious preference, IMHO and anything less in the movies would be a sour dissapointment.

I don't see Depp's portrayal of Wonka, based on the limited footage I've seen, as particularly feminine as much as extremely eccentric. The prosthetic teeth and bobbed hairstyle are more annoying than anything. This Wonka doesn't seem as interesting or appealing as Wilder's (nostalgia may be the culprit here also), but I want to see it anyway.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 01:14:21 AM »

Are you implying that the movie, if it is indeed faithful to the books, will not be worth viewing because it has Christian inspiration? The books are great, no matter what your religious preference, IMHO and anything less in the movies would be a sour dissapointment.

I should have written a line saying that Disney was not the company to attempt this. I have every expectation they will somehow screw it up, either by going over-the-top trying to appease the evangelical audience, or watering down the message to not offend non-Christians.

And how does this movie cost $100 million? Isn't CGI supposed to make movies cheaper?

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 09:56:27 AM »

For me (since I adore the Wilder version of Charlie), the hard part will be trying to remember the new one w/Depp is not a remake of the one w/Gene Wilder.  It's an adaptation of the book and from what I've heard will be a more faithful version.  In any case, I will be seeing this one in the theater because anything that includes a Depp/Burton combo works for me. 

I thought the Narnia trailer was awesome.  It will be interesting to see what they've done with it...

Can't quite wrap my mind around Simpson as Daisy Duke, but sometimes you just gotta to say "when in Rome"...
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 09:59:07 AM »

The Willy Wonka character exists in my head, and neither Wilder nor Depp is he.

Like 'The Wizard of Oz', the movie is fine in it's own right, but an absolutely lousy adaptation of a great book.

Regarding Narnia, I'm not a Christian and I love the books.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 09:04:46 PM »

It seems that The Island is a remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror, a stinker from 1979 that was given the MST3K treatment. That does not inspire confidence.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 11:41:39 AM »

I bet nobody ever told McGregor and Johannson that little piece of info.  :)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 03:46:08 PM »

Snakes on a Plane
Director: David R. Ellis
Release Date: 2005
Studio: New Line Cinema

Synopsis: Centers on a ruthless assassin who unleashes a crate full of lethal snakes aboard a packed passenger jet over the Pacific Ocean in order to eliminate a witness in protective custody. The rookie pilot and frightened passengers must band together to survive.

Yeah, and I'm the no-talent hack who can't sell his soul 'cause nobody's buying. Oh, and before you think that's some direct-to-video effort, it stars Samuel L. Jackson.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »

Snakes on a Plane

Good title. ::)

Pieter

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 06:51:12 PM »

I hope that's not the final title.   ???

Why not "Reptilian Crisis at 30,000 feet"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38