Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 24, 2019, 06:11:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: DScussion  (Read 53161 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
DScussion
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »

DS kicks PSP's ass in customer survey

The report also states that the main category the DS outperforms the PSP in is games:

"End-users feel that the DS offers superior game choice and game quality thanks to backwards compatibility with Gameboy Advance titles, a consistently high rate of new game releases and many great individual titles. The DS also dominates the gameplay category thanks to well designed controls and a unique touch screen interface that customers much preferred to the PSP’s widely disliked analog control stick.

Customers are impressed by the multi-player gaming experience on both devices and cite it as a factor in deciding to purchase games. It is clear that games targeted at handheld devices will need to incorporate some form of multi-player aspect to ensure replay value.

Games that customers rated well on DS included Need for Speed 2 and Star Wars Episode III, both due to gameplay. Gamers didn’t like Madden 2005 due to perceived poor graphics and player AI. PSP gamers rated Ridge Racer poorly due to the graphics and complained about the poor replay value of Twisted Metal."
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: DS kicks PSP's ass in customer survey
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:09:46 AM »

I would think more people would be satisfied with the DS since it has out sold the PSP nearly 5 to 1 (last I heard).

The methodology of the study did not state what websites were used to come up with the results, making me wonder how many fanboy sites were visited? I wonder how many consumers had both units? The people that own both the PSP and the DS are the only people whose opinion would really count in the debate. I don't own either myself, so I am surely in no position to comment on it.

I don't care either way;  I am just always suspect of these kinds of studies.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:28:25 AM »

Future Shop has $50 off on the PSP/Gretzky bundle.  The bundle also includes the Spiderman 2 UMD which means they still haven't gone through their original stock I guess.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 08:39:08 AM »

Games that customers rated well on DS included Need for Speed 2 and Star Wars Episode III, both due to gameplay. Gamers didn’t like Madden 2005 due to perceived poor graphics and player AI. PSP gamers rated Ridge Racer poorly due to the graphics and complained about the poor replay value of Twisted Metal."
Jesus christ.  How many people did they poll?  The two people that actually bought NFSU2 for the DS?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:29:21 AM »

PSP gamers rated Ridge Racer poorly due to the graphics

Well that's a bunch of bullshit.   I don't believe that for a second.   There's some kind of bias in their survey wording or methodology.

I would think more people would be satisfied with the DS since it has out sold the PSP nearly 5 to 1 (last I heard).

I don't have the exact numbers right now but the PSP is outselling the DS in the USA pretty much every month, though there's only a couple of months of sample data for the PSP.   In Asia the DS typically outsells the PSP.   Worldwide, the DS has a very large head start, even if the PSP catches up it isn't going to dominate like the fanboys predicted.

Frankly, so far, the DS is just a lot more fun to me.   I get addicted to stuff like Zoo Keeper and Polarium to where I can't stop playing.   Since I've owned the PSP, I've spent more times watching movies and playing emulators than I've spent playing the PSP games!

They are both good systems but frankly both have a fairly weak software selection so far (the DS is a little stronger in that regard but not great).   Either are worth owning but $250 is just 'stupid' money to a lot of people as far as handhelds go (and the damned games are too expensive too).

The PSP is the system for graphics whores with too much money.   The DS is the system for people who want unique fun gameplay instead of a big pretty screen and clones of the games they already own for Xbox and PS2.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »

I take fucking offense to that.  I do not have too much money.

The PSP is the system for graphics whores with too much money.   The DS is the system for people who want unique fun gameplay instead of a big pretty screen and clones of the games they already own for Xbox and PS2.

"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 12:24:19 PM »

How can you be offended when I'm including myself in that category?  ;)

OK, maybe I don't have too much money.   I don't even have the money for the new 720p TV that I crave.

More money than sense, maybe that's it.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 12:55:10 PM »

The survey did use an odd/flawed methodology, I think. I couldn't open the PDF file of the report, but the article at gamesarefun.com implies they looked at aggregate review sites like gamerankings.com. Hardly scientific. Still, the conclusions seem plausible.

The PSP had a great launch, but the games have dried up right now. Most of the emphasis is towards movies, and I find those overpriced and inferior to DVD. I'm more excited about emulation these days, but that will also require me to spend more towards a larger memory card. I think the DS has a much better lineup of games coming, and developers are finally thinking of new ways to utilize the two screens and stylus control.

Personally, I find my DS to be more fun and it sees more playtime. That one system can hold a DS game and dozens of GBA games (via Flashcart) makes it more "travel friendly." I'm still afraid of breaking the PSP. And the $10-$20 difference in game prices really sways my purchasing.

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 03:13:05 PM »

Well I was biased towards the whole handheld gaming systems.  I remember once saying  "Only losers would have to have a Gameboy to play games on the go,....nope I'll stick with my 8-bit Nintendo"  Course that was during the days when gaming first got started!  I have seen the ways.  I've had the pleasure of playing a PSP and watching a PSP movie, but I find  the system akward to hold....kindof like holding a home theatre remote sideways.  The games look really great, but it's the fact that I can play the same games on my PS2 and as far as Sony is considered....I am not a moron...I am not going to go out and rebuy movies just for my PSP!!!!!!   That's the problem with todays young yuppies 17-28 year olds who have to have everything NOW NOW NOW!!

Now I do own a used DS for one simple reason..........to relive the best video gaming age again.....what they call in Comic busniess as the "Golden years".  The years of the Super NES!  Great titles like Sword of Mana and Fire Emblem etc.  Back when RPG's where made for the story and character development, not for the flash graphics and 10 min presentations of spells and FMV clips.    Case in point  Sword of Mana for the GBA......wow.........I did the impossible.....I've travelled back in time!

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 03:20:02 PM »

You can play all of those on a PSP now, too!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 03:11:07 PM »

DS goes to Mt. Everest

We all know that the Nintendo DS is a gaming machine you can take anywhere. But Chris Grubb and Neal Mueller took that idea a bit further recently when they brought Nintendo DSes with them when they climbed Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the world.

CaptDS9E

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 07:58:34 AM »

Anyone who says that Ridge Racer has flawed graphics better go see a eye doctor for retinal transplants

capt

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: DS versus PSP
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 03:30:58 PM »

Sony exec dismisses Nintendo DS as "irrelevant"

Phil Harrison denies rival handheld is a serious competitor for the PlayStation Portable.

A top Sony executive has dismissed the Nintendo DS as "an irrelevance" when it comes to predicting the success of the PSP, describing the handheld's touch-screen feature as nothing more than a "gimmick."

Speaking to trade magazine MCV, VP of studios Phil Harrison said: "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats don’t appear in our planning."

"It’s not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it’s the truth."

Harrison went on to suggest that the DS can't compete with the PSP in the hardware stakes, telling MCV: "It’s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen."

“But I fear that it won’t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that.”

“Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon," he added.

Sony is anticipating high demand for the PSP when it launches in Europe on September 1, priced at GBP 179.99. However, it remains to be seen whether the handheld will overtake the DS to become market leader - more than 6.65m consoles have already been sold worldwide, including 300,000 in the UK.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: DScussion
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »

Nintendo reveals DS Wi-Fi adapter, new games

From joystiq.com

During a Tokyo press conference today, Nintendo showed-off a WiFi USB Connector that will allow users without a wireless router to convert broadband-enabled PCs into DS hotspots. The device is priced at 3500 yen (about $31) in Japan and £30 (about $52) in the UK. The Nintendo WiFi Connection service is set to launch this fall. The service is free, but Nintendo will not prevent 3rd-party publishers from charging their own fees.

bug

• View Profile
Re: DScussion
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 08:06:56 PM »

I picked up a teal Nintendogs bundle today, kinda pissed I didn't get the metroid demo and it has what looks like 2 dead pixels  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17