Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 05:49:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Are all cell phones created equally?  (Read 26991 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Are all cell phones created equally?
« on: August 15, 2005, 08:55:58 PM »

Will different cell phones perform differently with the same provider? Or, in geek speak: I want a $200 cell phone cause it looks cool 8), but I need a logical reason to convince my wife that it's worth the extra money versus a $20 phone. So is there any reason to believe a $200 cell phone will get better reception than a $20 one?

Pieter

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Are all cell phones created equally?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 09:40:27 PM »

I have a real expensive phone (Sidekick II) and I hope to get another real expensive phone soon (Razor).   However, I'm pretty sure there is no reception difference between a $20 phone and a $200 one.   It's all about features, brand, and form factor.

Despite my interest in supercool pricy phones, I never get one until I can get one for cheap or close to it, in exchange for a 1-year maximum contract.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:14:48 AM »

I hope to get another real expensive phone soon (Razor).
That's what I'm looking into. One of my students bought one last week, so if he can afford one, it sure seems like I should be able to.

Pieter

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »

If you search the forums at Fatwallet.com, you'll find many RAZR deals, I think you can get one dirt cheap with a Cingular or T-Mobile contract.   I'd stick to deals through the big guys like Amazon and Best Buy (or direct through the phone company).

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 12:40:51 PM »

I'm ready to ditch the Sidekick II (and I can sell it for $100 to $150) mostly because I haven't been very happy with T-Mobile in my area.   Coverage isn't terrible, but it's not as good as I had with Cincinnati Bell (which shares towers with AT&T/Cingular here).

So I'm thinking about going to Cingular and getting a free RAZR (which I believe I can 'tether' to my PDA with Bluetooth).   But now I'm hearing that Cingular's EDGE network supports 3X the data rate of the RAZR V3.   Anybody know much EDGE-capable phones?

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »

I have the Motorola v551 and I love everything about it.  I use bluetooth with iSync on my Mac and a BT headset.  The few times I have downloaded things from the web have been smoove and quick.  It takes good photos and movies as well.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 12:08:15 AM »

I've got the same phone Bryan, I love it as well.  Too bad Cingular sucks so bad....

J.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:00:44 AM »

Not sure what you mean there, Jeff?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 09:41:23 AM »

Cingular is good around here, at least from a coverage and signal strength standpoint.   Better than T-Mobile.   My Sidekick II worked better for me in Europe than it does in Cincinnati.

Your phones look pretty good but not super sexy like a RAZR.  :)   They are EDGE capable, which is good.

What I really want is a RAZR with EDGE.   I'm sure the V4 will have it, but at what price.   I might have to wait a month or two and see what transpires.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 09:49:26 AM »

Mainly its signal strength and dropped calls.  I rarely dropped a call, and never had dead coverage zones with Verizon, but since I switched to Cingular I get dropped calls out the wazoo and so many dead zones that I have to warn people that I'm talking to that I'm about to lose them.  I'm in a contract so I have to stick it out and hopefully it will improve, if not I'll switch back to Verizon.

What is EDGE??

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 09:51:55 AM »

Signal strength is so dependent on where you live.   There is no single carrier that has the best coverage in all areas.

EDGE is Cingular's higher-speed data network.   If I get the RAZR V3, I'm only using about a third of the bandwidth that is available to me.

I use my phones more for online access than I do for talking.   I avoid talking on the cell phone as much as I can get away with.  :)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 09:54:18 AM »

EDGE is a data transfer network that Cingular offers.  My coverage is fantastic - best I've ever had with a mobile.

Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 10:00:11 AM »

Cingular is solid here too.   Crappy where my in-laws are in Bloomington, though.

Nextel is good here if you don't go out to the sticks.   T-Mobile is so-so and Sprint sucks.

The problem with Cincinnati is that it is all big hills, no flat land.   Makes it very hard to provide good coverage.   Cincinnati Bell was the first to really blanket the area, and AT&T and Cingular benefit since they actually use Bell's infrastructure here.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 11:58:35 AM »

Anybody out there using a Treo? 
Albert Schweitzer

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 08:57:20 PM »

Bump
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10