Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 05:10:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Are all cell phones created equally?  (Read 27020 times)

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
Re: Are all cell phones created equally?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »

My wife and I just got new cell phones the other night.  We were eligible for the the "New Every 2" plan, which is sort of a lie.  It should have been called the "Here's a coupon for a $100 toward a new phone, but if the phone you selected is only worth $70, you can't use it towards the purchase of a new phone for your wife" plan.

I'm not supposed to bring a camera phone to my work location.  Would you believe that the entire Verizon store had only one phone without a camera?

We played around with the Treo while we were waiting for a sales rep.  It looked nice, but it was $400 and overkill for her needs.  Sorry I can't over more than that.

Here's a good website for reviews if you don't already have it.
www.phonescoop.com

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 02:31:26 PM »

Thanks for the link.  I am hearing alot about two new GSM Treos that may be coming to Cingular in October (one with Windows Mobile, one Palm) and plan to check those out.  The Cingular 8125 I got for my boss is pretty cool - kind of like a Sidekick with a suit.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »

I realize this is a little off topic but when I was in the States this week my cell phone roaming was with Cingular.  So when I called Chris, it said searching for Nextel customer.  Is this normal?  I'm just curious because up here if you call someone on a different carrier than yours, it just goes straight to them. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 03:58:35 AM »

I realize this is a little off topic but when I was in the States this week my cell phone roaming was with Cingular.  So when I called Chris, it said searching for Nextel customer.  Is this normal?  I'm just curious because up here if you call someone on a different carrier than yours, it just goes straight to them. 

Nextel bought Sprint.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »

I've been mucking about with the T-Mobile MDA, which is a Samsung 8125 internally.

Windows Mobile 5 is cool.  I can install my own apps without paying the phone company.  The opera browser is pretty good.  Battery life is a couple of days if I don't use it constantly, though I can kill it in a day if I try hard.

It checks my Exchange email account at work every fifteen minutes and notifies me if I have a message.  However, I'm going to need to buy a third party app to make the notifications repeat, which is important if one of my unattended jobs tries to contact me in the middle of the night.

I'll tell you what, though.  The Sidekick may have a rep as a teenager toy, but it's the fastest phone I've ever used for fast messaging, surfing, and switching back and forth between all functions.  There's something to be said for proprietary interfaces.  I really need the flexibility of the Windows device but it sure would be nice if they had a 'skin' or front end that could make a simpler, unified interface for common functions.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 01:54:16 PM »

It is a cool little device.  I'm interested to see the HTC Libra in action next spring.

I'm watching the Treo 750 and waiting for the unnanounced iPhone from Apple as well.  It is shameful how many better versions of what you (in general, not Mike) just bought come out a few months later.  I may go the route of the unlocked version just to avoid lengthening contracts.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 10:44:52 AM »

The wife needs a new phone for work. Since it's a company recently bought out by AT&T, I guess it needs to work with Cingular. PDA functions, keyboard for emails, etc. She doesn't want to spend as much as the Cingular 8125 or Treo 750. Suggestions?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »

Look at the Treo 680.
Albert Schweitzer

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »

If she's willing to be "unsupported" I can't say enough good things about my Sony Ericsson UIQ Smartphone.  I've had the p910a for more then two years now and I still can't say there is a better phone out there.  No previous phone has satisfied me more than a year. Even Apple fanboi that I am I'm not sure I'd prefer the iPhone. 

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 03:30:24 PM »

The wife and I now both have one of these:

It's no iPhone, but the BlackJack has some great capabilities. Unfortunately, I can't seem to load the software onto my ancient laptop that will let me exploit them. Why must I be both an early adopter and proto-Amish at the same time?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »

Yay!!  Blackjacks are awesome.  I would be carrying one right now if my Precious had not been announced and released.  I look forward to texting during boring meetings!
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 08:01:42 AM »

Yay!!  Blackjacks are awesome.  I would be carrying one right now if my Precious had not been announced and released.

I didn't take you for a violent person, Bryan.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 08:36:35 AM »

That guy on the ground over there made the same mistake.  Do you want one of what he is having??
Albert Schweitzer

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »

If it is "searching" for a Nextel customer, that probably means the Nextel's signal has momentarily faded.  Occasionally, I used to get that, or the call would go direct to voice mail.  It's not an inter-carrier thing, in other words.  I think the cell tower probably did not hand off properly to the next one, and it's just waiting to see if it connects.  Long-term outages (phone turned off, or out of service area) usually go to voice mail.
-= Rudy =-

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »

Say hello to my new phone.  Managed to get Rogers to give it to me for free.  Had to get a new one cause the people have trouble hearing me on my Motorola.  I usually go for flips but I thought I'd give the slide a try.  I checked on the web and the vast majority of people seemed happy with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10