Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:15:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Are all cell phones created equally?  (Read 27018 times)

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
Re: Are all cell phones created equally?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »

I feel like I am living in the stone age with my four (or is five?) year old cell phone  :P.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 07:20:01 AM »

?

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »

See, Dave's phone only has a question mark on it.  Don't bother texting him, you will only get a "?".

Jeremy,
Are you going to reply to my text, or are you still trying to figure out how the slide worx?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 10:55:27 AM »

I feel like I am living in the stone age with my four (or is five?) year old cell phone  :P.

I sorta feel outdated myself: my Nextel phone is at least three years old.  But, it works.  I've had a few other brands over the years, but these Motorola phones just seem to absorb life's little incidents and keep on working.  Those RAZR phones, though, look cheap--I'd be afraid of splitting it in half the first time I opened it. 

But, I do prefer my phone over some newer ones: I don't want many features, just a reliable phone.  The only thing I really want is Bluetooth so I can use a wireless headset (I'm often getting the wire of my headset snagged on something).  I do NOT want a camera phone, especially since some places won't let you take one into a building.  I no longer have a land line, and having kids, I need the cell phone, and want to make sure it's with me as much as possible.

We do need another cell phone here, but I didn't want to hijack this thread with such a low-tech request.  Deb's Sprint phone (a Samsung) is trashed, and we want to get a low-cost replacement from eBay to hold her over for several months until her contract expires and we can combine them under one Nextel plan.   I've seen a couple by Samsung and LG that we can get in the $30-$40 range, which is within her budget right now.  I've purchased my own Nextel phones from eBay (used) so I could avoid a contract, and it's worked out well.
-= Rudy =-

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

Jeremy,
Are you going to reply to my text, or are you still trying to figure out how the slide worx?

Hahahahahaha!

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this but if you live in Canada and have a pay as you go plan with either Bell or Telus, be prepared to start paying 15 cents for every text message that you receive.  Yes, that's right, they are going to start charging you for messages that are sent to your phone whether you asked to receive the message or not. 

People have looked into the Canadian cell phone plans and have found that we are paying upwards of double what people in the U.S. and Europe are paying for comparable plans. 

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »

I have always had to pay 15 cents for each incoming text message to my phone, but that's because I don't have texting in my plan. 
-= Rudy =-

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »

see, the smart companies send you text messages then, charge you for getting them! next time you get announcements from bell, just think that you're going to have to pay for advertising! hooray!

jerkbags.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 11:25:23 AM »

I have T-Mobile and had all incoming text messages disabled on my phone. I can't send them, either.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »

I have T-Mobile and had all incoming text messages disabled on my phone. I can't send them, either.
Damnit.  T-Mobile specifically refused to do that for me.  It was the only time I was not satisfied with them. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »

A general comment after spending some time with one friend's iPhone and other friend's iPod Touch.

I still like hard buttons.  A lot.   Touch isn't a substitute for everything.  There's a reason that even Apple still includes a keyboard with every PC.

That said, there's some cool apps for iPhone.

I think I'd really like a Blackberry with the iPhone's OS and apps.

(posted in this thread since it's about general phone discussion and I'm making comparisons).

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »

My incoming messages from Sprint ("pay your bill, you idiot") are sent for free, but anything else is charged.  I didn't try to have it disabled since I've only had two or three messages in the past two years.  (And one was a friend I hadn't been in contact with for over a decade.)

I could see using a Blackberry down the road a bit, but anything other than a full, ergonomic computer keyboard is just frustrating for me to type on.
-= Rudy =-

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »

Damnit.  T-Mobile specifically refused to do that for me.  It was the only time I was not satisfied with them. 

Go into your Text Message Setup and find the Service Center Number, delete it and input twelve zeros. That is what they had me do. YMMV depending on your phone, perhaps.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »

Go into your Text Message Setup and find the Service Center Number, delete it and input twelve zeros. That is what they had me do. YMMV depending on your phone, perhaps.
I've moved along to ATT for the iPhone, but in case I switch back in a couple months, was tha in the online settings or on your phone?

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »

Quote from: vortech link=topic=494.msg51065#msg51065
I've moved along to ATT for the iPhone, but in case I switch back in a couple months, was tha in the online settings or on your phone?

On the phone itself.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10