Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:39:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pixar discussion  (Read 12461 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Pixar discussion
« on: August 31, 2005, 10:16:42 AM »

Slightly old news, but I just heard about it. Bummer. From hollywoodreporter.com:

Pixar's Ranft dies in crash

By Sheigh Crabtree
Aug. 18, 2005

Joe Ranft, Pixar Animation Studios' head of story for more than a decade and a cornerstone of the company's creative team, died Tuesday when the car he was riding in plunged into the ocean after running off the road in Mendocino County, Calif. He was 45.

A spokeswoman for the Mendocino County Sheriff-Coroner's Office confirmed Wednesday that Ranft was one of two people who died when the 2004 Honda Element they were traveling in veered off the road while heading north on Highway 1.

The California Highway Patrol said the crash occurred at about 3 p.m. Tuesday as the driver tried to regain control of the car after swerving when he headed into a tight left curve. The car fell 130 feet over the side of the road, overturning twice before it landed in the water near the mouth of the Navarro River where it meets the Pacific Ocean, the CHP said.

The driver, identified by the Coroner's Office as Elegba Earl, 32, of Los Angeles, also was killed in the crash. The third person in the car, whom the CHP identified as Eric Frierson, 39, of Los Angeles, survived by climbing through the sun roof. He was hospitalized with moderate injuries at Mendocino Coast Hospital, according to officer Robert Simas of the CHP office in Ukiah.

Ranft was a co-writer on 1995's "Toy Story," for which he earned an Oscar nomination, and 1998's "A Bug's Life." Before Pixar, he was a leading member of the story department at Walt Disney Feature Animation, where he was a writer on 1991's "Beauty and the Beast" and 1994's "The Lion King."

"Joe was an important and beloved member of the Pixar family, and his loss is of great sorrow to all of us and to the animation industry as a whole," the Emeryville, Calif.-based company said Wednesday. In addition to his work as a writer, Ranft performed the voices for numerous characters in Pixar features.

Director Henry Selick, Ranft's friend and longtime collaborator, called him "the story giant of our generation."

Before joining Pixar, Ranft worked with Selick as a storyboard supervisor on 1993's "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas." Selick met Ranft at Disney in the early 1980s, and his first impression of Ranft was that he was "a huge guy" who was well over 6 feet tall.

"His drawing at the time was really crude, but he was the sweetest, funniest guy," Selick said. "I've never seen anyone try to improve himself as much as Joe did over the years."

He also was highly versatile, Selick recalled.

"He could do these beautiful sweet gags for a family film and then do these weird, depraved cartoons of anyone who needed to be skewered," Selick said. "We'd do hundreds of drawings, and Joe was always the guy who was able to go back in and say, 'This is about the process; let's try it again.' "

Ranft's voice-over work for Pixar included such characters as Heimlich in "A Bug's Life" and Wheezy the Penguin in "Toy Story 2."

Born in Pasadena in 1960, Ranft was raised in Whittier, Calif., where as a child he developed a fondness for performing magic tricks. He was a classmate of Pixar's John Lasseter at the California Institute of the Arts in the 1970s.

After two years at CalArts, Ranft joined Disney in 1980. In 1992, he reunited with Lasseter at Pixar, where his early work included pitching and storyboarding the first sequence for "Toy Story," the Green Army Men sketch.

"Every film Joe's name was on was successful artistically and financially," Selick said. "Sometimes he contributed small details, sometimes the whole thing. He was a story giant of our generation."
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
Re: Pixar discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 03:00:06 PM »

Driving along Rt. 1 scared the piss out of me.  I can picture this crash sooo easily.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »

This was one awesome movie.  The animation is incredible and the voice acting is great as well.  They have real racers voicing some characters and the great part is they're racers from different leagues and types of racing from Nascar to Indy.  George Carlin as the old hippie van was my favourite character.  I would definately recommend everyone see this movie.  Paul Newman was great as well as the old Hornet car.  The sound effects in the movie were incredible as well.

Of course it had a short film to start it off which was awesome to watch.  It'll definately be a contender for the Oscar. 

One thing I should warn everyone with children about is that the movie with the short film runs nearly two hours plus previews.  However, it's a great movie for kids as it doesn't have any scary moments like Finding Nemo did and the children in the theatre sounded like they were enjoying it. 

Stay through the credits for a little bit as they have stuff going on then.

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 04:10:41 PM »

Glad to hear this one was good.  I love Pixar films.  Hopefully I can make it to see this one soon.
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »

Can't wait to see this.   I always see Pixar in the theater but we always wait a couple of weeks for the crowds of kids to die down.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 05:21:33 PM »

I would have hit this today, but my wife was/is working all weekend. My son already knows all the characters' names, a testament to marketing, and is looking forward to it.

All the hype aside, I was eager to see this movie when I saw the trailer a year ago.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »

Got to see it today and I can second all of Sean's comments. It was a fantastic movie. My son enjoyed it also, although I think he was getting tired of watching it. Not because he wasn't enjoying it, but because it was so long and he is a typical four year old.

The short at the beginning, One Man Band or something like that, was great as well.

Like Sean said, there is a bit of fun during the credits and a short scene after they are all done, so stick around for the whole thing.

I can't wait for it on DVD as it will take multiple viewings to catch everything the geniuses at Pixar threw in there.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:51:36 PM »

Saw this today with 2 of my kids and my brother and his two kids.  It was awesome.  Pixar can do no wrong.  Definite purchase when it comes to DVD.

J.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 12:59:59 AM »

I used to take Chloe to "Reel Mom" day at a local theater when she was much younger, but my wife took her to this and Chloe loved it. She can't wait to see it again! Apparently, the short and trailers at the beginning confused her. "Where are the cars?"
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

FURIOU5 D

• Still gets grass-stains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »

I AM SO STINKING EXCITED ABOUT WALL-E!!

...but I've always been a sucker for Pixar (even if I have been somewhat disappointed in the last two)

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:41 PM »

I AM SO STINKING EXCITED ABOUT WALL-E!!

...but I've always been a sucker for Pixar {agreement ends here - I like em all, Ratatouille the best.}

FURIOU5 D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:58 PM »

I don't know much at all about Nascar (or any form of racing) so I probably missed a bunch of the jokes in the Cars.  And Mater's potty humor didn't do a great deal to endear the movie to me either.

I did like Ratatouille, but I went into it with really great expectations since "The Incredibles" is one of my all-time favourite movies.  It didn't quite have the same weight that I had expected from a Brad Bird film.

Don't get me wrong - I like them.  Heck, I own both of them.  I guess I just mean that the last two were my least favourite of the Pixar movies.  But among such great movies, even that isn't such a bad criticism.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:37:28 AM »

As a long time fan of car racing, cooking, and criticism I note I may be partial. 

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »

As I've said before, the one I like the least (and I might go so far as to say that I down right didn't like) is Cars.  It's not just that I'm not into car racing all that much, but the movie felt dead to me. 

Ratatouille I liked far more then I expected to.  I may have just expected to like it more than Cars, but Brad Bird and Thomas Kellar concocted something delicious.

Firefox wants me to respell Ratatouille as Bouillabaisse.

FURIOU5 D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »

My wife's favourite quotation from Ratatouille is:

"One can get too familiar with vegetables!"

I recommend saying this often in polite company.
Pages: [1] 2 3