Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:17:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]

Author Topic: New from Apple...  (Read 115471 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: New from Apple...
« Reply #900 on: December 04, 2012, 01:05:03 AM »

iTunes 11 is so frustrating. Here are a list of my gripes (because the Internet):

Songs view is weak because there is no album artwork or any other visual cue that one album is moving to the next.

Albums view is mostly gorgeous, but lacks important details like genre and play count. I'm still in the new relationship phase where seeing what iTunes does with all my artwork means I use this view the most, but it won't last forever. The biggest knock against it is that in shuffle mode (how I listen to my music 99% of the time), the view doesn't switch to the current song when one song ends and another begins. Why does Apple think I still want to look at the album art and track list of Album A when a song from Album B is playing? Ridiculous!

Playlists view is crazy in the one way I've used it so far. I have a playlist of all my podcasts that is sorted from oldest to newest. This allows me to have my own talk-radio station playing while I'm at work. One show ends and the next in the list begins. Nice and simple (well, I shouldn't have to create a playlist to achieve this very obvious way of listening to podcasts, but I've given that fight up). Not anymore. iTunes 11 has decided that once a podcast ends, the next one in the list shouldn't start. Why? Seriously. Why are you removing this feature? Who would possibly want a playlist that ends after one track?

Syncing is trouble too. First the simple problem, I got an error when trying to sync my iPad. Why? Who knows. It worked the next time I tried it. Computers. It happens. Now for the iPhone. I don't use the truly heinous Podcasts app Apple has because it does nothing right. I still use the Music app for my listening needs. I have the aforementioned podcast playlist sync with my iPhone and that's what I listen to in the car. At one or two points since I've had my first iPhone, the playlist actually synced as you would expect, with the tracks in the same sorted order as they are in iTunes. But for most of the time, the tracks are spewed out onto the phone in a completely random order. I'm serious. There is no rhyme or reason to it all. It has nothing to do with album title, artist, release date, bit rate... nothing. It essentially shuffles my playlist when it puts it on my phone. But at least it synced properly and I have been able to do what I want, create a talk-radio station full of content of my choosing. I even rationalized to myself that the random order the shows came on was kind of a fun way to keep things interesting (it isn't). The new iTunes doesn't fix the problem, but seems to acknowledge it at least. What it has decided to do is take my playlist and order the podcasts by album. It looks a little neater when scrolling through my list of shows, but it actually is less preferable to me than the random method because now I have to listen to countless episodes of Podcast A. There is no variety! So to add insult to injury, Apple has taken away my ability to listen to the shows in the order I want, and forces me to choose Shuffle if I want to hear anything other than the show that is listed first alphabetically!

Overall I don't like it.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 27, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »

As just a cursory user of iTunes, it seems like 11 is a huge visual leap over earlier versions. They must have banished the actual engineers from the room and given it over to the artists.

They've never handled podcasts very well. Jobs probably hated them and this was his revenge.

I have a "new" refurb 27" iMac. I like it.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 27, 2012, 01:30:11 AM »

So how do you listen to music and podcasts if you don't use iTunes?

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 27, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »

I'll listen to music through my iPod or iPhone, and the only podcast I listen to is the occasional Pop Culture Happy Hour that my wife plays on her iPhone if we're traveling somewhere.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 27, 2012, 02:07:06 AM »

I see.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 03, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »

Overall I don't like it.

You should try putting a audiobook from the library on it. Holy Shit. I hate iTunes. And Apple, I have decided. Don't really get the hype :/

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »

I love OSX and Apple hardware. I think Mountain Lion is pretty great. iTunes on Windows is almost universally considered a POS.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]