Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: WoW!  (Read 51770 times)

stencil

• View Profile
WoW!
« on: January 15, 2005, 12:55:53 PM »

Any other pathetic WoW addicts in here?  I am:

Vevelyn, an undead warlock on the Eredar server.  Level 17 currently.

Anyone else there, at similar level?  Would be nice to group up with some cool people for a change.

Max Pauer

• View Profile
Re: WoW!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 09:16:57 PM »

I have an Orc Hunter on Eredar that's at level 18.  However, I rarely play him now as  I have gotten addicted to a Night Elf Hunter and a Dwarf Rogue on Shattered Hand.  For some reason, I seem to prefer the look of the Alliance zones over the Horde.  Plus, a good number of my local friends are on Shattered Hand.  Now that I know you are on Eredar and around my level, maybe I'll pull him out and play some more.  His name is Jendar if you want to add my to your friend's list.
Chris

stencil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:26:26 PM »

Sounds good.  Just hit 18 a little while ago.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 03:30:44 PM »

Today's Penny Arcade newspost utterly savages WoW's server difficulties and how it's ruining the game. Any truth to what they're saying? I never got the impressions that you guys had as much difficulty simply connecting to the game as they do.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

PoisonJam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »

I've never run into difficulties that even come close to approaching what Gabe and Tycho describe.  Every Tuesday morning the servers are down for maintenance and that can be a pain (why they don't do this overnight is beyond me), and there certainly have been times when the login server was hosed for a few hours or even a whole day.  But that's something I expect from time to time from a new game and Blizzard has been quick to credit its customers when the outage is extreme.  I haven't seen anything like what PA talks about, but there are so many servers and it's possible that they just picked one of the crummy ones. 

For the record, I've got characters on Lothar, Eredar, and Gorefiend, and I haven't had issues with any of them.

--Dave

Covak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 11:46:51 AM »

I wasn't annoyed until last Thursday.  Servers down for most of the day and since then I've had more login problems than ever.  And nothing seems to be improved.  There's still some nasty lag with shops here and there and I still get stuck mining from time to time.  Used to be easy enough to logout and back in to fix the mining problem, but now I'm never sure I'll actually be able to get back in :/  And that mining problem is really getting old.

Before last Thursday I thought Blizzard was doing alright, but it seems like they took the servers down for most of a day just to make things worse :(

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 02:26:12 PM »

I play mostly on the Shattered Hand server, which has a high population, and have run in to a number of server problems, but nothing terribly severe.  Also, I wouldn't consider anything that has happened something that would "ruin the game."  MMO launches are notoriously glitchy, with a couple of minor exceptions.  Couple that with the insance number of people playing the game and it spells temporary trouble for Blizzard.

I have a blast with the game and still believe that most of this will smooth out once we are out of the growing pains period.
Chris

graph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 03:20:59 PM »

I'm with Stinky here; I was playing today, and I tried to summon my pet's (Duugas, Level 21 Warlock on Shattered Hand), and after 5 attempts, it finally worked. Another guy said he saw a mailbox disappear in front of him...weird stuff, but I have faith....

I play mostly on the Shattered Hand server, which has a high population, and have run in to a number of server problems, but nothing terribly severe.  Also, I wouldn't consider anything that has happened something that would "ruin the game."  MMO launches are notoriously glitchy, with a couple of minor exceptions.  Couple that with the insance number of people playing the game and it spells temporary trouble for Blizzard.

I have a blast with the game and still believe that most of this will smooth out once we are out of the growing pains period.
He was slipping gently into a Sienfeld!

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 04:27:37 PM »

Are you one of the 3.5 million people who've played or is currently playing WoW?  Well, you should be.

http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/072005_wow.x

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »

I'm reluctant to play MMOs because I'll get addicted and it'll suck up all my time for months on end and then my wife will leave me and I'll get fired and then I'll lose my house and finally I'll end up asking my mom if I can live in her basement.

I'm pretty sure that's how it would go.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 04:53:39 PM »

It's all a matter of limits.  WoW isn't a huge timesink like EQ was.  It can be, but I play for an hour or two every other night, and I totally feel like I've accomplished something.  GO on quests, fight, see the world, make some armour - then sell it, there's always something for me to do.

As long as you limit yourself playing an MMORPG is a great amount of fun.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 05:36:29 PM »

I was being somewhat facetious about the addiction, though I could see it being a timesuck.

Regardless, a couple of hours every other night would suck up half of my total gaming time, and I'm already always 'behind' on my gaming (I haven't been finding the time in weeks to play stuff like Psychonauts, because Live is taking up my gaming time).   Maybe when I'm retired I'll MMO with the other geezers in the retirement home.   ;D

In the meantime, I'll stick to trying to get caught up on the genres I already like before trying any new ones.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 05:39:53 PM »

I said the same thing about heroin, and look where it got me.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »

I'm reluctant to play MMOs because I'll get addicted and it'll suck up all my time for months on end and then my wife will leave me and I'll get fired and then I'll lose my house and finally I'll end up asking my mom if I can live in her basement.

I'm pretty sure that's how it would go.

Yes, but think of all the money you'll save living with mom.

graph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »

It's all a matter of limits.  WoW isn't a huge timesink like EQ was.  It can be, but I play for an hour or two every other night, and I totally feel like I've accomplished something.  GO on quests, fight, see the world, make some armour - then sell it, there's always something for me to do.

Between City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, Dark Ages of Camelot and World of Warcraft (had them all), WoW is the easiest to level. I have a 40+ level guy, and I can still find places to just grind and level....that's unusual..., IMO.
He was slipping gently into a Sienfeld!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20