Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 01:06:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Impressions & Discussion  (Read 123328 times)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Xbox 360 Impressions & Discussion
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:24:52 AM »

Let's discuss our shiny new toys here.

I am very impressed with how quickly I was able to get my Live account set up last night.  Took no more than two minutes.  The console looks fantastic and is very solid.  I have it running in 1080i right now, but I may try 720p tonight.

The dash menus are great - you can spend hours just going through them and trying everything! 

Downer - you cannot enter a chat with Xbox owners.  The only way to chat with Xboxers is to do it in-game or to send an individual private chat invite to them.  I tried that last night and never got a response from Allen, Mike or Jeremy.  Jeff and I were able to chat from the 360 dash through the loading and game setup process in PDZ and then continued to talk as I left his game, went back to the dash and started playing Tiger 360.  Too cool.

I did get some echo last night on my end, but Jeff didn't hear any on his end.  I am going to try again at lunch today and may try a different headset.  I may also try a wired controller to see if there is any difference there. 

PDZ looks like it is going to be off the hook.  Jeff set up a co-op round with bots last night and they were damn comptetitive!  The subway level we played (the small portion that I saw of it) is laid out just like the RS3 subway map.  Everything looked first class.  I am looking forward to hearing from all of you bastards who have the day off - keep the impressions coming on regularly scheduled intervals!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
Re: Xbox 360 Impressions & Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:36:40 AM »

Downer - you cannot enter a chat with Xbox owners.  The only way to chat with Xboxers is to do it in-game or to send an individual private chat invite to them.

What the fuck?  Oh, that's just peachy.

howiedo1n

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:20:43 AM »

Is your system positioned vertical or horizontal? 

Mine is in teh horizontal position with about 1ft of space on either side.  I noticed two things that concerned me a bit.  One is the fans seemed to run at full speed most of the time (louder then expected), and the system seemed to heat up a bit.  Even the HDD.  I also noticed that of the 20G HDD there is only 11G remaining after all the prepackaged goods.  When I get a minute I need to see what is really on there.  The system does look surprisingly good on my SD Toshiba TV.  And after a quick DL of the media extender I was able to stream music and photos rather easily off my PC.  That is a very nice touch.  I then DLed the NBA LIVE demo but the servers must have been really bogged down since that seemed to take a rather long time.  To be expected at launch.  That game looked really good although the player models seemed a bit plastic.  I can only imagine how great that game would look in 720P. 

After all the tinkering I wound up finding an option to shut down console through a text menu option.  Not sure what that did but the fan was still running this morning (about 4hrs later) and the system was still hot but the ring of light was off..  Was that a stand by or sleep mode?  I guess I might have to read though the manual just to make myself feel better.  I canít wait to get some more time with this system.  Just a side note going to bed at 4:00am and being at work at 8:00am cant enhance productivity.  And knowing is half the battle.  Ouch   ??? :'(

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 09:38:19 AM »

I'm on four hours sleep too.† Good morning starshine!

Horizontal for me as well.  It is a bit loud.  I'll check on it at lunch and tell you if any fans are whirring, but I don't think so.  I chose to shut down the machine, so maybe you put yours in sleep mode.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 10:01:20 AM »

Mike,

Please tell me what video mode I need to be using.  I chose 1080i last night, but would 720p be better?
My Samsung does a great native 720p.  Hope you are having an uneventful trip to GR!
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 10:03:19 AM »

I also noticed that of the 20G HDD there is only 11G remaining after all the prepackaged goods.

From the quick glance at the preloaded video, there appears to be around 30 minutes of HD-quality video that you can watch once (or not) then turf.  That'll free some space.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:03:40 AM »

Mine's vertical.  A bit on the noisy side, but I can always close the cabinet door (cause it's wireless baby!)  I tried out both 720p and 1080i and the 1080i looks much better to my eyes so that's what I'm sticking with.

Dissapointed with the quality of the voice chat, but it must be the price you pay to have 4 available voice channels.  I don't mind giving up a bit of fidelity for improved functionality.

I played a round of multiplayer PDZ, a single player level of CoD2, a single player level of Condemned and loaded Halo 2 and downloaded all of the maps and played a bit of the campaign.

Halo2 looks better to my eyes, not amazingly better, but the FSAA does the trick because I didn't see a single jaggie!  Framerate and load times and just about everything else seemed identical to the original box.

CoD2 is hands down the best looking/running game I've seen so far (and that really aint much).  Condemned is a close second, really looks like a high end PC game (and creepy as hell).  The level in PDZ was a mixed bag of good looking and meh.  I think it'll be a lot of fun to play though, especially after I read the manual and practice a bit.  One thing you definitely have to do is bump up your look sensitivity to about 75 and lower the damage amounts that armor can take, because the bots could take a real punishing before finally dying. 

That's all for now, too tired....

BTW, Maggi signed up for XBL and her tag is ICandee so be sure and send her a friend request...

howiedo1n

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 10:17:09 AM »

I also noticed that of the 20G HDD there is only 11G remaining after all the prepackaged goods.

From the quick glance at the preloaded video, there appears to be around 30 minutes of HD-quality video that you can watch once (or not) then turf.† That'll free some space.

Do I need an HD TV to view it? 

MrJames

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 10:42:42 AM »

Mike,

Please tell me what video mode I need to be using.  I chose 1080i last night, but would 720p be better?
My Samsung does a great native 720p.  Hope you are having an uneventful trip to GR!

If your set is 720p native then that would the resolution you want to set your 360 to.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 10:55:58 AM »

Do I need an HD TV to view it?

Mmmm, probably not.  It likely just downsamples it if you're not set to 720p or 1080i.  Also, FYI, I just deleted all HD-video that was on there to begin with and freed up about 2GB.

A question:  How do I change my theme?  I cannot find it.  I see different ones are loaded on the HDD.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 11:12:33 AM »

I'm a bit disappointed that the supposed 20 gig hard drive is really only 13 gigs when "empty." Not that I could really fill that space (twss), but it's a little disingenuous of MS to claim so [/shocked that there's gambling going on here].

Quote from: Flying Se7en
Dissapointed with the quality of the voice chat, but it must be the price you pay to have 4 available voice channels.† I don't mind giving up a bit of fidelity for improved functionality.

Is it worse than the current chat (if that's possible), or just not as good as you were hoping?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:48:21 AM »

It's worse than current chat in its sound quality (sounds muffled) but I didn't notice any break-ups or drop outs. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 11:54:59 AM »

If your set is 720p native then that would the resolution you want to set your 360 to.

Yes, absolutely!

howiedo1n

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:15:52 PM »

If I picked up a MP3 player with a digital FM tuner can I stream FM thought the 360?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:32:49 PM »

If I picked up a MP3 player with a digital FM tuner can I stream FM thought the 360?

Probably not, I think it has to be regular file i/o over USB mass storage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60