Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:02:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: TV Recommendations?  (Read 39500 times)

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
TV Recommendations?
« on: November 27, 2005, 12:22:21 AM »

Well, after a lot of thinking, I've decided not to get a big screen DLP as originally planned.  The combined cost, plus lack of space, plus the fact that in the future I'd like the big screen in my living room (for myself and the folks) has basically taken the wind out of those sails. :(

BUT - I'd still like to upgrade the TV in my room.  I currently have a 24" Sony Wega 4:3 CRT, and I'd like to upgrade it to something better and something that will look nice with my shiny new 360.  16:9, HDMI inputs, and preferably under 1000$.  700-800$ would be optimal. :)

Any suggestions?

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: TV Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 12:43:16 AM »

You can get this 23" Panasonic for about $825 shipped. Panasonic HDTVs are always rated pretty good.

They also have a Sony and a Toshiba in your price range. All three companies make pretty decent units. I'm not vouching for any of these personally, but do a little research on each. I'm sure one will suit your needs. Onecall.com is also a reputable retailer.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 12:49:13 AM »

You can get this 23" Panasonic for about $825 shipped. Panasonic HDTVs are always rated pretty good.

They also have a Sony and a Toshiba in your price range. All three companies make pretty decent units. I'm not vouching for any of these personally, but do a little research on each. I'm sure one will suit your needs. Onecall.com is also a reputable retailer.

Thanks for the recommendations, but I don't really want to go the LCD route.  I'd rather go with a CRT. 30"+ is pretty much what I'm looking for.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 08:42:27 AM »

Oh, sorry. I still like Panasonic and Sony in this category. Phillips is good too. You may have to up your budget a bit to get a TV that doesn't look smaller. To me, a 30" WS TV looks smaller than a 27" 4:3 TV. At any rate, it would be hard for me to choose between these two. Take a few friends with you to pick it up, these bad boys are heavy!

Phillips
Sony

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 10:52:44 AM »

Oh, sorry. I still like Panasonic and Sony in this category. Phillips is good too. You may have to up your budget a bit to get a TV that doesn't look smaller. To me, a 30" WS TV looks smaller than a 27" 4:3 TV. At any rate, it would be hard for me to choose between these two. Take a few friends with you to pick it up, these bad boys are heavy!

Phillips
Sony

Well, I'm going to have it delivered and spare myself and my friends hernias. ;)  I'm also looking at the Sony KD-30XS955, which is a shade over a grand, but seems to be highly recommended.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 11:53:06 AM »

It's funny how my options change on this TV all the time -

I just got my tax refund, and that money is going towards a new TV.  Budget is now ~2000$

I'd like no more than a 50" screen, and whatever the best is I cna get for around that price.  Any recommendations?  I was looking at the 46" Samsung DLP, which is originally what I had my eye on a few months ago.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 11:56:26 AM »

That's my baby - I would still buy my exact set today. 
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:00:59 PM »

I'd like no more than a 50" screen, and whatever the best is I cna get for around that price.  Any recommendations?  I was looking at the 46" Samsung DLP, which is originally what I had my eye on a few months ago.

I prefer the 42" and 50" Sony 3LCD sets (these just came out this past year) over any of the current consumer DLPs that I've seen.   These sets were not an option back when Bryan bought his; back then I'd have bought a DLP if I were buying a digital set.   I'd suggest checking them out.   The model numbers are kdf-e42a10 and kdf-e50a10.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 12:22:11 PM »

The Sonys look nice Mike.  My only problem is the dead pixel thing I've been reading about on some forums.  I'd hate to have to send the whole damn thing back.  As it stands the Sonys and the Samsungs are what I'm looking at at the moment.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »

The Sonys look nice Mike.  My only problem is the dead pixel thing I've been reading about on some forums.  I'd hate to have to send the whole damn thing back.  As it stands the Sonys and the Samsungs are what I'm looking at at the moment.

I hadn't heard about the stuck pixel thing.   Once the SXRDs came out I quit paying attention to LCD and DLP and started trying to figure out a way to double the budget for my next TV.  :)

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 12:52:37 PM »

I hadn't heard about the stuck pixel thing.   Once the SXRDs came out I quit paying attention to LCD and DLP and started trying to figure out a way to double the budget for my next TV.  :)
Yeah, an SXRD isn't in the cards for me just yet. :)

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »

Okay, Answer Gang, how about this:  I'd like an HD set no bigger than 34", and I'd like it under a grand (with stand, if possible).  What's the best option?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 02:05:58 PM »

Okay, Answer Gang, how about this:  I'd like an HD set no bigger than 34", and I'd like it under a grand (with stand, if possible).  What's the best option?

I don't really keep up on the smaller CRT and LCD sets.   I know there's some great deals out there, but I don't feel comfortable recommending anything.

Check out this Philips Refurb.   Any good?   I dunno.   The savings would allow purchase of a stand and an XBOX 360 (available at Sears.com today) for under a grand.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 02:30:31 PM »

Should I even be looking at 1080p sets just yet?  I notice Samsung has a 50" DLP with 1080p and some places have it for about 500$ more than I originally budgeted.  Is that worth it, or not really?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »

Should I even be looking at 1080p sets just yet?  I notice Samsung has a 50" DLP with 1080p and some places have it for about 500$ more than I originally budgeted.  Is that worth it, or not really?

These current 1080p sets, including the SXRDs, don't even take a 1080p input.   I'd pass.   New models coming out this year should address this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14