Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• January 17, 2019, 04:28:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PSPIE Reviews  (Read 8865 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: PSPIE Reviews
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »

God of War: Chains of Olympus

Initial Impressions: This is my first GoW game. Sort of like Crisis Core, I'm just not that into action games, so the titles never really appealed to me. Now that I'm a few hours into this one, I still don't get what all the hype is about. This is the best reviewed PSP game on metacritic? Why? It looks good, but I'd say CC beats it. The controls are nothing to write home about, and I don't feel like the bad-ass playing as Kratos that I've been lead to believe I would. The story is simple. And I don't know which came first, but the music and especially some of the sound effects are so similar to Lord of the Rings Tactics I've been sure they were lifted right out of that game. Hopefully I'll have a sunnier outlook once I get around to my Lasting Impressions.

Lasting Impressions: Game over. What I have to add to my initial impressions is that the combat definitely got more entertaining. The only problem is the game ended not long after I really started to enjoy the controls and combat. I also had some trouble with the story. Having never played a GoW before I didn't have any reference, but it seemed that everyone in the game knew more about who Kratos is than I did. Why is he the "Ghost of Sparta?" What happened to his daughter and wife? To be clear, I'm not looking for tehbias members to run out and spoil that stuff for me, I bring it up because I wish the game had done more to explain it instead.

Overall, this game is an awesome rental. I invested maybe five hours in it. The graphics are great, the control is totally decent, and even though I was a bit confused about the story, the production values were high and the acting was terrific.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »

If you haven't played at least the first title, I can easily see why you might be disappointed. I think the plot is far too minimal and bland, though it's a great-looking game and the combat is mostly-fun. It just isn't a very compelling story.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »

Jeanne D'Arc

Initial and Lasting Impressions: Thanks to the recommendations of a few of you and the high scores on metacritic, I gave this odd-sounding title a try. Boy am I glad I did! The gameplay is very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, which is exactly what I was looking for. The small addition of Burning Auras and United Defense give a bit more depth on the playing field, while the lack of jobs makes things simpler off of it. I typically despise the skill creation aspect of games, but this one handles things pretty well, certainly better than Dragon Quest VIII did.

The story is wacky and not really worth mentioning. I'm not sure setting it during the Hundred Years War actually helped anything. It seems like they could have done the same thing with a fictional land and maybe had the whole story make a lot more sense. The characters are all pretty cool and I didn't mind spending 52 hours with them.

I was worried I would be disappointed with the graphics after playing Crisis Core and Chains of Olympus, but Jeanne looks great and doesn't sound too bad either. Hardly any of the stages were cakewalks, yet there were only a couple of instances when I needed to level grind. And the wide variety of characters available made even that task interesting.

All in all, I highly recommend the title for SRPG fans. Thanks again to those who urged me to give it a try.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »

LittleBigPlanet

Initial Impressions: If there was a title on the PS3 that would convince me to buy that system, it would be LBP. The game looks so charming, entertaining, and re-playable. I'm still not ready to get a PS3, so I went for the PSP version. Know that my comments here are from a totally new perspective, not tainted for or against by having played the PS3 version.

So far, the title is charming and entertaining, but it's too early to tell how long I'll be playing it for. I've played through a half-dozen levels and they've all been cute, unique, and contained just the right amount of challenge. The main complaint I read about with both versions of LBP is the jump control. I haven't found it to be much of an issue. Once you get the hang of things, the controls seem consistent.

This is very premature of me to say because I've only done it once, but downloading user-created content was not a good experience. The level was ridiculously challenging. I fell to my death or was zapped out of existence time after time only steps away from the start of the level. Obviously I'll give it another shot before kicking it to the curb.

Graphics aren't amazing. God of War and Crisis Core, two titles I reviewed over a year ago, look better than LBP. I had and still have no interest in designing my own levels. Nor do I see much point to the stickers. And dressing up your sack boy or changing his emotion seems irrelevant to me as you can barely make any subtle changes of that ilk out while in the game.

Sound is terrific. Love Stephen Fry, love the songs. I wasn't expecting that.

Overall the game has promise for me. Hopefully most users out there aren't masochists trying to create the most punishing level ever like the one I downloaded and I'll have an endless stream of content to play.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »

Thanks, P!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »

Final Fantasy VII

Initial Impressions: Two things worried me about playing FF7 on the PSP. One, my eyes are already bad enough. I didn't know how a 4:3, PS1 game would look on my 16:9 PSP. Two, I played through FF7 back in 1997. I invested more than the 99h 99m game time shown. Depending on the day, it's either my #1 or #2 game of all time. I've gone back before and played some old classics, and the experience was never even remotely similar. Did I want to ruin my FF7 memory of what once was?

These are my initial impressions, but I still love the game. The characters are swell. I still think Cloud, Barrett, Tifa, and the rest of the gang are lots of fun. The story is much more interesting this time, especially with the Advent Children and Crisis Core stories to help expand the mythos. The character models are pretty bad, but the backgrounds and cutscenes are still marvelous. The sound in less engrossing coming out of my PSP instead of a stereo. "CD quality sound" isn't the notable bullet-point it once was.

As for the PSP screen, it hasn't been a big issue yet. The stretch mode works fine. It's not ideal, but it'll do. I did run into a glitch this morning. After a scene change the entire screen went bonkers. I fiddled around with it long enough to find a save point, but I'm worried about going back in and having the same thing happen. If a reset doesn't fix the problem, I'm looking at not being able to play the game. That would make me very sad indeed.
Pages: 1 [2]