Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• June 25, 2019, 01:32:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leaked PSP update hints at email, browser, HDD  (Read 2832 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Leaked PSP update hints at email, browser, HDD
« on: January 17, 2005, 03:49:17 PM »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/17/sony_psp_update_leak/

Sony may be preparing to release its first PlayStation Portable (PSP) update, if a file that briefly appeared on the web this weekend is what it purports to be: a leaked copy of an early version of the update code.

Whatever its provenance, the software certainly includes some interesting features. In addition to the usual bug fixes, the update is said to add not only a web browser and an email program, but a word processor and a spreadsheet.

http://www.itworld.com/App/4201/050117sonypsp/

We have become aware that there is a software program going around on some Web sites and Internet bulletin boards claiming to be an update file that rewrites the system software of the PSP hardware," said Nanako Kato [cq], a spokeswoman for SCEI in Tokyo. "This software has not been issued officially by SCEI and does not function properly. We advise our users not to execute or apply the program as it will cause the PSP hardware to stop operating.

Kato confirmed the file was created by SCEI engineers and was produced for developers but said it contains dummy data. "It is not supposed to be used at this time," she said.

Very good of Sony to make the firmware large enough to support entire apps without a UMD disc.  I doubt I'll get a keyboard and mouse for the system, though, it's bulky enough already.  Still, it'll be nice to have the added functionality.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Leaked PSP update hints at email, browser
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:09:29 PM »

I'm happy to see Sony thinking about the internet capabilities of the PSP.  I believe that bodes well for getting some online multiplayer games going soon!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »

PSP to take on iPod with online music service

I assume the service would be accessed through the PSP, and not downloaded via PC.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 04:09:23 PM »

The PSP is bigger than an iPod and doesn't have a hard drive.  I guess with a music service you could consider it an indirect competitor, but I doubt it would consume any substantial amount of iPod marketshare.  It could compete with some of the flash-based players, but they have an even larger size/weight/battery advantage than the iPod-ish players do.

I assume the service would be accessed through the PSP, and not downloaded via PC.

I wouldn't assume that, as you need a way to manage a larger library (than will fit on a memory stick) and burn CDs.  Any service that doesn't include the PC will fail, IMO.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 02:01:52 PM »

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 08:41:48 PM »

PSP with 50GB hard drive?

Wouldn't that push the price somewhere in the stratosphere? Perhaps 600+ dollars? That would be my guess. I don't see how they could do it for less. It would be nice, though.