Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 12:23:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DnD Online quick comparsion to Guild Wars  (Read 3082 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
DnD Online quick comparsion to Guild Wars
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:56:49 AM »

Today I saw a review of DnD Online:Stormreach that gave the game a 92%. While I'm not going to directly attack that high rating, I think I might like to throw out some comparisons to Guild Wars, to give you all more info to decide for yourself, if indeed you were thinking of purchasing DDO. My comparison is based on a few days of beta play.

Graphics - DDO doesn't disappoint. If you've got a beefy card, then its right up there with Guild Wars...maybe even surpasses it for graphical beauty. Highly detailed characters and texures abound. The underwater swimming is impressive to look at. Multi-pass lighting in the dungeons is breathtaking.

Control - While both games allow remapping of keys and mouse axes, DDO is more of an arcade style battle. The FAQ for DDO says that you don't need to have nimble fingers to play. However...DDO has a block key. Sorry, but that simply screams arcade to me. Not that its bad...just different.

MMO/Instance Environment - Both Guild Wars and DDO are not true MMOs in the purest sense. What this means is that while the common areas of the game allow hundreds of people to congregate, chat, trade, etc. All quests are instanced to the individual or party. Once you are out in the 'game world' (where the monsters are) you will not encounter other players outside your party. This is the same for both GW and DDO.

Soloability - While later GW quests are difficuly to go alone, they do provide adequate AI in the form of henchmen that will accompany you. They actually perform quite well, and effectively allow you to solo in GW. DDO does not provide any form of AI party members, and virtually no quests in DDO are soloable. Not saying this is a bad thing. It's just something to be aware of. You absolutely won't be progressing much past the first couple hours of DDO without forming actual parties with other humans.

Level design - GW does a great job of giving you both open air environments as well as dungeons to traverse. DDO is 90% dungeons (well, it IS called DnD) and a smattering of outside environments. However, the outside environments feel extremely faked. A forest in DOO is essentially a dungeon with impassible tree textures on the walls.

PvP - GW is one of the premiere PvP online games available. GW was designed with PvP in mind and the questing is designed to ultimately build your PvP character for use in PvP arenas. DDO has no PvP whatsoever. Again...not a good or bad thing. Just something to be aware of.

Cost - GW wins this one hands down. GW has no monthly fee whatsoever. Considering its a non-pure MMO, that's understandable. DDO, however comes saddled with the standard 14.99 a month fee. This is the main thing that kept me from really wanting to play DDO once it launches. I didn't feel it was worth paying 15 bucks a month for what GW does (in my opinion) better...for free.

However, I didn't totally hate DDO...It totally oozes DnD. When you explore a dungeon, there is an actual Dungeon Master voice that lets you know when you discover things, and give you plot information for the quest. Apparently, they have signed a number of celebrities to do guest DM voiceovers for certain dungeons, which is kinda cool.

So my two biggest gripes about DDO are really that its not soloable, and it has a monthly fee yet is not a true, persistent-world MMO.

Anyways, I wouldn't consider this a formal review of DDO...its only based on a few days of play during beta. I just wanteed to offer some Guild Wars comparisons, since thats the game it feels the most like.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: DnD Online quick comparsion to Guild Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 06:43:22 PM »

Whenever I upgrade my PC, I'll probably try Guild Wars. I'm not keen on monthly payments, but I would like to play an MMO.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »

I'd actually like to try an MMO sometime as well.  Guild Wars seems like the one as I'm also not keen on the monthly payments.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:55:10 PM »

Not to derail this thread anymore, but remember that Guild Wars is primarily a PvP game in my opinion.  If you don't like PvP then there isn't really any reason to play.

Myself, I prefer the single player and PvP of WoW myself.  I can do single player whenever, and do some PvP if I feel up to it.

Now, back to D&D - I've read some very critical previews of the game from people  that have played the beta.  Most seemed very dissapointed overall.  Still, as with mosst MMORPGS, I'll give it try when it's finally out.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »

Not to derail this thread anymore, but remember that Guild Wars is primarily a PvP game in my opinion.  If you don't like PvP then there isn't really any reason to play.

Hmm, I think I have to disagree here. My wife and I play GW a fair amount (no where near how much we play WoW...but it gets played) and we never PvP. Yes, GW is ultimately meant to PvP, but there is a wealth of Questing and exploration to be done as well.  Since I don't usually PvP, I think of GW as a PC RPG that I can happen to party up with others (usually my wife and/or the AI) and go questing. But I will admit that if GW had a sub fee I wouldn't be playing it.

However, I will say that anyone looking to play a true-blue MMORPG needs to look at something like WoW or Star Wars Galaxies, or Everquest 2. GW is great for what it is...but it's not a persistent world MMORPG. Once you head out of the common areas to go on quests, then the game feels much like a co-op offline RPG.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

post deleted and recreated as new thread