Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 24, 2019, 05:05:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Gaming in the News  (Read 26536 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Gaming in the News
« on: January 25, 2006, 04:31:12 PM »

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
temp news
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:13:05 PM »

The other day, an 8-year-old boy brought his father's gun to his daycare center and shot a 7-year-old girl in the arm. This is the lead paragraph in today's Washington Post story:

The father of an 8-year-old boy arrested in the shooting of a 7-year-old girl at their Germantown day-care center provided his son with violent video games and showed him how to cock and release a gun hammer the day before the boy pulled the trigger, a prosecutor said yesterday.

So, the first and by implication greatest contributor to the shooting is playing violent videogames, though this is never further explored in the article.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
temp news
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:22:08 PM »

Eh, I'll throw this in here.

Texas Gubernatorial candidate wants 50% tax on "violent games"

Turns out it was a misquote. According to the candidate's website: "[a] This COMMISSION shall levy a 100% of price sales cost tax for the sale on all item listed below: 1 . any video game containing any form of human violence."

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming in the News
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:04:09 PM »

For any one who may be interested and can receive the Toronto feed of CTV at 11:00 EST they are having a piece on the news tonight about how video games keep the mind young. 

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:09 PM »

Shoot, I missed it Sean.  Was it a good segment?

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 09:32:13 AM »

I actually haven't watched it myself yet as I was busy at the time.  I did tape it though so I'll get back to you on that. 

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:33:11 PM »

"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »

Games Training Soldiers

Hmmm. Sounds like video games help, perhaps even save the lives of, American soldiers in battle. I say hooray for Halo2. I guess Jack will have a field day with this, twisting it to validate his talking points. I believe there is a difference, though: Just because it is easier to pull the trigger, doesn't mean you want to, or are compelled to do so in civilian life.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 09:16:41 AM »

Well, in a way it does help to support Jack's stance that FPS's are "Murder/Killing Simulators". I'm sure his argument will be "Socom helped turn this young man into an emotionless killing machine...Is that what you want your children playing?"

And yes, I agree that Jack will take and highlight only the points that help his argument.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 11:42:13 AM »

Although I have never fired a gun, I bet I would be a pretty good shot from playing so many FPS's. Granted I would have to adjust to recoil and stuff, but I think there is some validity to what Jackie says. Not that I agree with him because he twists the facts. Just because I may be a good shot IRL and it could be attributed to playing FPS's, it doesn't mean that I am more or less compelled to shot someone, which seems to be the argument he makes.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 10:47:39 AM »

Tennessee senator proposes outright violent games ban

If passed, bill SB3981 would come in to effect as soon as July 1st and would make it illegal to sell or rent any violent video game in the state of Tennessee. Less extreme pieces of legislation aimed at controlling the sale of such games to minors in other states have already been the subject of successful legal challenges under the First Amendment, however, and it seems unlikely that Senator Kilby's bill will stand up to similar legal scrutiny.

I honestly don't understand these attempts at legislation. Isn't it so blatantly unconstitutional that proposing it makes you look foolish? It seems like it would be far simpler to pressure, say, Blockbuster and Wal-Mart to not stock such games or face a boycott. Blockbuster already carries the censored versions of R-rated movies, and Wal-Mart doesn't stock the hardcore-lyric versions of CDs. Didn't liberals have success doing that to Wal-Mart about selling guns?

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 10:55:36 AM »

I would assume it's one of three things:

1 - this Senator is SO out of touch with reality that he believes Video Games are a commodity that only young children are interested in. This is the same type of person who thinks only kids watch cartoons or read comics. This person thinks they are actually doing something to "help the children"

2 - this Senator knows fully well that this bill wont pass, but will attempt to pass a lighter version of it later. This ridiculous version will make the lighter look much easier to swallow and more likely to pass

3 - just trying to grab attention

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 10:58:37 AM »

I honestly don't understand these attempts at legislation. Isn't it so blatantly unconstitutional that proposing it makes you look foolish?

Lesser game laws have already been thrown out as unconstitutional.   This is all about pandering to your base and galvanizing their support.   My opponent supports violent games and sodomy!   Many voters are easily distracted from bigger issues facing our nation when some politician starts waving that morality flag around.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 11:03:47 AM »

I merged some of the more general posts of the Jack Thompson is Crazy thread into here.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 11:23:01 AM »

This is all about pandering to your base and galvanizing their support.   My opponent supports violent games and sodomy!   Many voters are easily distracted from bigger issues facing our nation when some politician starts waving that morality flag around.

Isn't that the original tagline for this website?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10