Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 12:58:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The site according to me!  (Read 5244 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
The site according to me!
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »

I would like a very big, very pretty button (perhaps you could consult "Queer Eye's" Thom Filicia for design ideas) that says "New Posts" next to my avatar at the top of the page in lieu of the teeny text that says "Show unread posts since last visit." When my chubby fingers are smothered in Cheetos it wastes valuable nano-seconds of my life to carefully navigate my pointer (he he, pointer) to that little line of text that's inconveniently placed directly above the other teensy line of text I've never clicked on before.

Thank you!

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
Re: The site according to me!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:38:17 AM »

dude, do you have that pointer filed into a point or is that natural? either way, i'd get it checked out.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:18:24 AM »

Now I don't see my avatar and time spent on board info and the new posts link at the top of the page, etc. Am I the only one?

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:26:45 AM »

Well, I don't see your avatar and time spent info, etc., but I do see mine. Try refreshing. It's refreshing!

Edit: Oh, I know what it is! I did this too, once. Click on the arrow next to the Home button. It should be pointing up.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:48:16 PM »

That did it! Thanks, Allen. Way to mod!

Edit: Spelled Allen's name correctly.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »

Alright, so I've got my nice big beautiful New Posts button, now let me know what you think of this crazy idea...

How about putting the same button at the end of each thread as well? I don't know how y'all roll, but I like to click the New Posts button after each thread I read. That way the ones I've read disappear from the list and any brand new ones get displayed. But it means scrolling to the top of the page to click the nice big button again.

There's also this warning about resurrecting threads over 120 days old. I was always under the impression that forums wanted its members to search for and contribute to old threads instead of starting new ones to avoid repetition. What is the tehbias stance on that issue? Would you prefer us to start new threads if one hasn't been posted in for 120 days?

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 04:37:07 PM »

Alright, so I've got my nice big beautiful New Posts button, now let me know what you think of this crazy idea...

How about putting the same button at the end of each thread as well? I don't know how y'all roll, but I like to click the New Posts button after each thread I read. That way the ones I've read disappear from the list and any brand new ones get displayed. But it means scrolling to the top of the page to click the nice big button again.

There's also this warning about resurrecting threads over 120 days old. I was always under the impression that forums wanted its members to search for and contribute to old threads instead of starting new ones to avoid repetition. What is the tehbias stance on that issue? Would you prefer us to start new threads if one hasn't been posted in for 120 days?

Thanks for the suggestion, Pieter!  We'll look into that!   [Man, this guy is high-maintenance...] :D

Regarding old thread resurrections, I don't see any problem with it at all.  Bring it back up to the top! :)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:21:59 AM »

I prefer new posts in old threads - that is much tidier than having 20 different threads relating to the same topic spread over a year or two.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 03:41:31 PM »

We are starting to notice some clickwear on the Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit button.
If possible, please only click on the black hatching - not the grey or any of the text.

Thanks!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »

The Show Unread... button is perfect for the iPad. TB was iPad ready in 2006 y'all.